Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

I suppose I'd be better off living on Svalbard in and after approaching winters

and in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego in and after approaching summers

It'd be just dark!

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Kron3007

Quote from: dismalist on November 02, 2023, 10:39:39 PMHere's a fascinating report on the status of legislation concerning Daylight Saving Time from NPR

Politics of Daylight Saving Time

fascinating because people seem to have very different views on the utility to them of Daylight Saving Time, and of course politicians will not commit under such circumstances.

One argument for Daylight Saving Time cited in the article is that it enhances aggregate spending. This could only be true for a small slice of retail, but rest assured, if there were really a demand deficit on account of abolishing Daylight Saving Time, I could make it up if the government gave me lots of money. :-)

An argument against Daylight Saving Time, also cited, is by the medical establishment. They're right about this one.

Anyway, it's not going away permanently soon.

I wish they would just do away with it.

The irony for me is that they often say it is done for farmers etc, yet Saskatchewan, one of our farmers provinces doesn't do it.  If they can manage, I don't see why we need to do this dance twice a year.

As a parent of small children, the process is a nightmare...

the_geneticist

My cats did NOT appreciate the lateness of their meals. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 07, 2023, 11:54:42 AMMy cats did NOT appreciate the lateness of their meals. 

They never do. Ours were similarly disgruntled.

hmaria1609

*Bump*
Spring Daylight Savings weekend! Change your clocks an hour forward.

I posted a floral theme reminder (found on Google Images) sign on our staff kitchen door.

dismalist

I read somewhere that today the sun rose an hour early. Is that how DST works?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Took my early morning walk at six (really five) with the stars still out.  Made it hard to spot birds around the pond at the city park this morning.  I went ahead and got my watch changed to the correct time, instead of spending a week or two mentally adjusting the time before finally getting around to it.  The "spring forward" is not easy for us early risers to adjust to.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

bio-nonymous

I am still over-tired 2 days later...let's just pick a time and keep it that way!

Puget

Contrary to all the DST haters, I am entirely delighted to have light after work again! It means I can actually fit in a run or walk after work during the week again, or do some yard work.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hmaria1609

I woke up at 6:45 am to take my usual morning walk before going to work. It felt weird seeing it was still dark!