RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

Quote from: bioteacher on September 29, 2019, 07:11:54 PM
The spouse of one of our own, at least on the other forum. I can't remember their moniker. Their spouse died suddenly last week and will be greatly missed, not only by the forumite, but by those of us who were friends by proxy. It was far too soon for someone who had far too much life left to live.

Her username was octoprof. Her husband was often referred to as Mr. Wondeful on the other board. So heartbreaking.  :(

archaeo42

Quote from: paddington_bear on September 30, 2019, 05:17:09 AM
Quote from: bioteacher on September 29, 2019, 07:11:54 PM
The spouse of one of our own, at least on the other forum. I can't remember their moniker. Their spouse died suddenly last week and will be greatly missed, not only by the forumite, but by those of us who were friends by proxy. It was far too soon for someone who had far too much life left to live.

Her username was octoprof. Her husband was often referred to as Mr. Wondeful on the other board. So heartbreaking.  :(

This is terrible news. My condolences to Octoprof.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

clean

I am so saddened to hear this.   
All I can do is send comforting thoughts.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Thursday's_Child

I'm so sorry, Octoprof - what a devastating loss!   Memories of Mr. Wonderful will never replace him, but I hope they can provide you some comfort.

Biblioeclectica

I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Wonderful. I'm a long-time lurker and have been wondering how he was doing. Prayers for peace & comfort to Octoprof.

mamselle

Oh, no!

They were my dream couple.

Do we know what happened?

I'm very, very, very sorry to hear this.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

octoprof

Quote from: mamselle on September 30, 2019, 11:03:00 AM
Do we know what happened?

He just... stopped. Just in a moment. Keeled over on the sofa. I walked into the living room where he was watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD and I didn't see him sitting in his usual spot (i.e. his head sticking up so I can see it over the back of the sofa). I walked closer and found him slumped over on the sofa sideways as if he'd been really tired and just laid over to exhaustion-nap. But he was unresponsive. I dialed 911, did CPR, and the EMTs came and did CPR and more, but he couldn't be revived.

Probably heart attack or aneurysm or blood clot or something. He looked peaceful. There was no sign of struggling. I like to think he was unaware and his body just went from on to off for some reason. The coroner is still deciding what he's going to do, apparently. it's a rural county and the coroner has to decide if he's going to send the body to another county for autopsy. As of 5pm Friday they hadn't decided. And they haven't been in when I've phoned today. We are planning the funeral for Friday morning assuming his body will be released in the next day or so.

I don't think he suffered. It was just way too soon. So shocking. Like he was violently ripped from our arms even though there was no violence. He was so healthy (good annual check up at the cancer center in August) and fit (still cycling almost every day, training for his next century ride in November, slim and trim, only 54, etc.). We thought he would outlive everyone. I am bereft. Mama is bereft. His Mom is inconsolable. Everyone who loved him is in shock. We are just going on like zombies.

He was truly the best of men. He loved me even when I was unlovable. He never had a harsh word to say to anyone. He never passed up an opportunity to help people. We are at a loss without him. Helpless.
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

ab_grp

My deepest condolences, beloved Octo, to you and to your family.  He does sound like a true Mr. Wonderful.

aside

I am so sorry, Octoprof.  My deepest sympathy to you and yours.

mahagonny

kaysixteen

wareagle

[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

EdnaMode

I'm so sorry Octoprof, my condolences to you and all those who loved Mr. Wonderful.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis