RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbmaj7b5

Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck, of bacterial meningitis, age 78.

I've played guitar for almost 50 years now, starting with acoustic, and he was an absolute inspiration when I was struggling with the electric guitar. He wasn't my first guitar hero, but he was the one my heroes listened to, so it didn't take long.

tuxedo_cat

Quote from: ursula on January 03, 2023, 03:04:58 PM
Quote from: paultuttle on January 03, 2023, 07:28:09 AM
Mamselle.

Rest in peace.

Amen.

I am so very sad to hear this news -- mamselle is someone I had the pleasure of meeting once at a fora meet-up many years ago in Cambridge.  She was extraordinarily knowledgeable as a historian and skilled in music and dance as well.  Another forumite has found a very detailed and loving obituary for her -- which reveals even broader talents and the breadth of her dedication to many community issues.  I know we are not supposed to reveal the real names of forumites here, but if someone could remind me of the guidelines about sharing information (such as the link to her obituary) after someone has passed, I would be grateful for that.

RIP, mamselle

secundem_artem

My father would have been 107 today.  He's been gone for 13 years and I still think of him.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

clean

I am sorry for your loss.  It is still, 13 years later, a loss.  It is good that you think about him.

My grandfather died at 94 on Christmas Eve 3 or 4 years ago now, and I dream about the things we used to do.  They are good dreams.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Bbmaj7b5

Tom Verlaine, leader of the CBGB's era band Television, age 73.

His guitar playing was like no other. This is a bad month for my guitar heroes...

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

secundem_artem

Bobby Hull aka The Golden Jet. One of the finest hockey players to ever lace up a pair of skates.  An icon of my youth.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Langue_doc

Richard Belzer

QuoteRichard Belzer, Detective Munch on 'Law & Order: S.V.U.,' Dies at 78
A stand-up comic, he called his hard-boiled character on the long-running TV drama "Lenny Bruce with a badge."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/19/arts/television/19xp-richard-belzer-dead.html

fishbrains

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 19, 2023, 04:41:12 PM
Richard Belzer

QuoteRichard Belzer, Detective Munch on 'Law & Order: S.V.U.,' Dies at 78
A stand-up comic, he called his hard-boiled character on the long-running TV drama "Lenny Bruce with a badge."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/19/arts/television/19xp-richard-belzer-dead.html

I peed next to Belzer in the Barrow Street Theatre men's room about 12 years ago. I was thrilled. I'm guessing he didn't remember my brush with greatness. He even had the dark glasses on. So cool.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford