News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultuttle

Congratulations on both the PhD and the wedding, MarathonRunner!

AmLitHist

Adding my congratulations, Marathon Runner!

My inhale:  All three of my online summer classes have been allowed to "go," even with relatively low numbers in one section. So I'll end up making 50% more net cash than I'd been expecting for this summer--a nice and unexpected surprise (not to mention a boost toward the eventual pension calculations).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 02, 2023, 09:18:32 AM
Adding my congratulations, Marathon Runner!

My inhale:  All three of my online summer classes have been allowed to "go," even with relatively low numbers in one section. So I'll end up making 50% more net cash than I'd been expecting for this summer--a nice and unexpected surprise (not to mention a boost toward the eventual pension calculations).

Yay for extra money!

Langue_doc

Just scheduled an appointment for the yearly safety inspection, and was told that it was free as was the full circle inspection. Bought the car, used, from this dealer in 2019. I drive all the way across town for everything related to the car because they have been quite reliable so far. Once they have your car all opened up, they send you a video of the innards of your car along with a narrative of what looks good and what needs work.

The inhale is because good service is so very hard to find.

paultuttle

Some inhales:

1. My father is able to get up out of a chair by himself after a (second) cardiac ablation exactly three weeks ago followed the very next day by a pacemaker installation. We are very proud of him, even though after he starts walking, he's a tad wobbly.

2. I'm staying with him while he regains his sense of balance well enough to be much less of a fall risk. He just bought new high-speed internet so I can do my job from his house; I just spent nearly $1000 for a home-office setup (new desk, office chair, two monitors, surge protector, wireless keyboard/mouse combo, monitor stand, and plastic carpet protector) so I can stay as long as he and I need me to be here. (Remarkably, we haven't gotten on each other's nerves too often.)

3. Mom's showing her sense of humor and her feistiness more often now. (An example from today at lunch: Dad asked, "Honey, how do you like that roast beef with gravy?" She turned quickly to me and squinched up her nose with distaste like a little girl. Then she turned to Dad and smiled like an angel, as though he didn't just see her squinch up her nose. "Just wonderful, wonderful." He laughed himself silly while she continued to pretend innocence. "What are you laughing at?") She just might be getting some of her energy and personality back after her catastrophic collapse in late December followed by several months of near apathy. 

4. My car had a similarly catastrophic collapse in the Staples parking lot two days ago: The starter growled and quit but the lights turned on, so I thought it was a starter problem, but then the dashboard lit up with all manner of error messages, including "total failure of the braking system; get thee to the nearest Honda dealer immediately." Truly, it was a tad scary--I mean, whoever writes those "total failure" messages probably also wrote most of "Revelation"--but after a $110 (!!!) tow, I got a call a couple of hours ago that my car's battery had a "bad cell" and was down to only 10 volts (!!!) of power. After I visit the dealer tomorrow and give them $261, I'll get my car back with a new Honda battery. Let's hope that ends the "total failure" dashboard warnings.

So, lots to be optimistic about. Including the ability to end a sentence with a preposition and follow that with a sentence fragment, knowing y'all will understand me anyway.

<grin>

apl68

Good to hear that you all have seem some things looking up.  Congratulations!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Harlow2

That's great, PaulTuttle! Looks a new energy field at work (continuing with the battery motif).

paultuttle

Quote from: Harlow2 on June 26, 2023, 04:32:34 PMThat's great, PaulTuttle! Looks a new energy field at work (continuing with the battery motif).

Yep--Dad's pacemaker, my Honda, what's next? <grin>

Dad's overall trajectory is positive, which is great, and Mom seems to be returning to some welcome feistiness, so that's nice to see as well.

And my brother and sister-in-law were over here in the US (from Thailand) while Dad was getting his pacemaker installed and then beginning to recover from it, so that was a wonderful source of help (and, because he's my favorite brother, an opportunity for some validating conversations).

So, yes, things have been looking up.

paultuttle

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 02, 2023, 09:18:32 AMAdding my congratulations, Marathon Runner!

Woo hoo! Muh-nee.

paultuttle

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 26, 2023, 07:31:17 AMJust scheduled an appointment for the yearly safety inspection, and was told that it was free as was the full circle inspection. Bought the car, used, from this dealer in 2019. I drive all the way across town for everything related to the car because they have been quite reliable so far. Once they have your car all opened up, they send you a video of the innards of your car along with a narrative of what looks good and what needs work.

The inhale is because good service is so very hard to find.

So true! Glad you found a good dealer/car repair place.

smallcleanrat

My dissertation was officially approved.

It finally happened. I have a PhD.

blueroses

RatGuy

Quote from: smallcleanrat on December 16, 2023, 06:42:39 AMMy dissertation was officially approved.

Huzzah!

Puget

Quote from: smallcleanrat on December 16, 2023, 06:42:39 AMMy dissertation was officially approved.

Congratulations SCR!!!!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all