Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 01:35:58 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 01:23:07 PM
I did not call Walsh a bigot. What I objected to was his doxxing of healthcare workers, and promoting posting videos which he presents as one thing and in reality are something else. When you do that, and crazed people act on them, I think you are odious. That is also my right, yes?

I'm taking it that you would consider a surgeon who takes a piece of a person's bowel and fashions it into a homemade vagina to be surgically put in healthy body is a healthcare worker. I guess you can believe that, and you can believe it is treating a patient. But I doubt the people who do this are shrinking violets. They seem to kind of like the publicity. I think they tend to be fully aware they have placed themselves in the arena of 'movers and shakers.'

You and I can disagree whether or not it is. That is not what Walsh does. he says the procedures are being performed on children (the hospitals he cites only do so for those 18 years and older who have gone through years of therapy), and as a result places like Boston Children's and Vanderbilt Medical have had staff receive death threats, and bomb threats. As someone whose sister was treated extensively by physicians and staff at a leading children's hospital I do take those threats seriously, and they impact all who work there, not just the surgeon you mentioned. Care for thousands of children in need is put at risk, and all who provide it are frightened.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 01:35:58 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 01:23:07 PM
I did not call Walsh a bigot. What I objected to was his doxxing of healthcare workers, and promoting posting videos which he presents as one thing and in reality are something else. When you do that, and crazed people act on them, I think you are odious. That is also my right, yes?

I'm taking it that you would consider a surgeon who takes a piece of a person's bowel and fashions it into a homemade vagina to be surgically put in healthy body is a healthcare worker. I guess you can believe that, and you can believe it is treating a patient. But I doubt the people who do this are shrinking violets. They seem to kind of like the publicity. I think they tend to be fully aware they have placed themselves in the arena of 'movers and shakers.'

You and I can disagree whether or not it is. That is not what Walsh does. he says the procedures are being performed on children (the hospitals he cites only do so for those 18 years and older who have gone through years of therapy), and as a result places like Boston Children's and Vanderbilt Medical have had staff receive death threats, and bomb threats. As someone whose sister was treated extensively by physicians and staff at a leading children's hospital I do take those threats seriously, and they impact all who work there, not just the surgeon you mentioned. Care for thousands of children in need is put at risk, and all who provide it are frightened.

In a case like that I would predict the plain truth would be the enough to bring a lot of furor. Especially if the process was likely begun years prior, and not initiated by child with their parents' oversight but by the child together with the contact with their radicalized school, which does not consider the parents an ally in the upbringing of the child, can easily be anti-western religion, and may even intentionally keep conversations concealed from the parent. A parent who finds himself in the position of having to make the best of a horrible situation could conceivably get on board with surgery beginning at age eighteen, even while, if it's the legal age to be considered, is still way too young for that kind of decision. If Walsh made flat out erroneous claims that have put hospital staff in danger, he'll probably get sued for defamation or worse. But if he's claiming child sexual abuse he may have a leg to stand on. I guess we'll see.
I hope everything goes fine for your sister and her health, Jimbo.
Alternatively, one could just look at Walsh playing fast and loose with the facts (if he is) and just shrug our shoulders and say 'well...a lot of people are upset lately' as the White House Press secretary said when Brett Kavanaugh was being threatened. Works for all kinds of mischief, and I guess now there's a precedent.
We have a culture war. I can't see the beginning of it as I look in the rear view mirror. It's gone, we are certainly in it now.

jimbogumbo

Thank you for your concern, but my sister died some time ago. She was treated on two separate occasions a long time ago, each stay lengthy and  involving a coma. She had serious liver issues as a middle schooler, and suffered a burst abdominal artery at that time. Died after a liver transplant in her twenties.

I'm sorry, but threatening needed care for children like that for me simply doesn't equate to your Kavenough example. And no, I did not for do I condone threats against anyone who is simply doing a much needed job. Not even police officers, believe it or not. I can protest against what I consider bad or unequal practices and the crimes of individuals while abhorring generalized calls for violence.

mahagonny

I'm sorry about your loss, Jimbo.

QuoteI'm sorry, but threatening needed care for children like that for me simply doesn't equate to your Kavenough example. And no, I did not for do I condone threats against anyone who is simply doing a much needed job. Not even police officers, believe it or not. I can protest against what I consider bad or unequal practices and the crimes of individuals while abhorring generalized calls for violence.

There is nothing as precious as any child.

Wahoo Redux

IHE: Professor Won't Be Replaced for Statements on Gender

The University of Southern Maine will not remove Christy Hammer from teaching a graduate class in education because she told the class that there are only two sexes, The Bangor Daily News reported.

However, the university will have another professor teach an identical class for students who do not wish to remain in Hammer's class.

"We have developed an alternative plan for this class and will be opening a new section of this course for those students who would like to move," said a university spokeswoman. "The original section taught by Professor Hammer will continue for any student who wishes to remain in that class."

Hammer did not respond to requests for a comment.

Students in the class staged a walkout to protest Hammer's statement.

Sounds like a win-win to me.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 10, 2022, 07:54:56 PM
IHE: Professor Won't Be Replaced for Statements on Gender

The University of Southern Maine will not remove Christy Hammer from teaching a graduate class in education because she told the class that there are only two sexes, The Bangor Daily News reported.

However, the university will have another professor teach an identical class for students who do not wish to remain in Hammer's class.

"We have developed an alternative plan for this class and will be opening a new section of this course for those students who would like to move," said a university spokeswoman. "The original section taught by Professor Hammer will continue for any student who wishes to remain in that class."

Hammer did not respond to requests for a comment.

Students in the class staged a walkout to protest Hammer's statement.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

No apology to Professor Hammer for the threat to remove her from the teaching position?  She did the right thing to decline comment then.
Alternatively, they could have told the students 'this is the instructor we've hired and she does the job as she sees fit. There are other schools.' No one's freedom of speech violated.
If I ran a school, we would run it, not the students.

Wahoo Redux

UCSD: Guardian: BREAKING: Organic Chemistry Lecturer Caught Saying Racist Remarks Against Latino Community

As of Oct. 14, the video has amassed nearly 2,000 reactions and 500 comments, with many urging Chancellor Khosla and the UCSD administration to take action. The student who posted the video, Alfonso Lazo-Cazarez, himself disclosed his anger, admonishing the lecturer for espousing "unfortunate and sad" rhetoric while diminishing the value of workers who ensure that the "university is functioning."

It is unclear what disciplinary measures will be taken. Student leaders, however, have made statements of their own. For example,  A.S. President Sky Yang commented under the video post, "Need to look into this!", while the A.S. Office of Academic Affairs vowed to fight for proper consequences being brought against the lecturer, demanding that administrators remove the professor.

Watch the video.  I do not think this idiot mean any harm----he's just a clueless idiot who has yet to adjust to the new world of hyper-sensitivity. 

Aside: This is very awkward journalism. They need someone to teach style.   I'm available for hire!!!!!

mahagonny

QuoteAs Ternansky is not tenured and works primarily as a lecturer, repercussions may be harsher than they would be for tenured professors.

I'd have no compunction about issuing the harshest repercussion available. Non-renewal, for any reason, or no reason!

ETA: Bad taste wisecrack. Should be able to apologize and move on in my opinion. Someday these students will be put in a position where they will be forced to realize that no matter how qualified or vetted, everyone in your hiring pool is a human being.

apl68

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 16, 2022, 02:17:30 PM
UCSD: Guardian: BREAKING: Organic Chemistry Lecturer Caught Saying Racist Remarks Against Latino Community

As of Oct. 14, the video has amassed nearly 2,000 reactions and 500 comments, with many urging Chancellor Khosla and the UCSD administration to take action. The student who posted the video, Alfonso Lazo-Cazarez, himself disclosed his anger, admonishing the lecturer for espousing "unfortunate and sad" rhetoric while diminishing the value of workers who ensure that the "university is functioning."

It is unclear what disciplinary measures will be taken. Student leaders, however, have made statements of their own. For example,  A.S. President Sky Yang commented under the video post, "Need to look into this!", while the A.S. Office of Academic Affairs vowed to fight for proper consequences being brought against the lecturer, demanding that administrators remove the professor.

Watch the video.  I do not think this idiot mean any harm----he's just a clueless idiot who has yet to adjust to the new world of hyper-sensitivity. 

Aside: This is very awkward journalism. They need someone to teach style.   I'm available for hire!!!!!

Well, if he gets let go by the university, he may have a future on the Los Angeles City Council.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on October 18, 2022, 10:11:21 AM

Well, if he gets let go by the university, he may have a future on the Los Angeles City Council.

Actually, I think he'd have exactly the same problem.

mahagonny

Kanye West is getting his interview pulled from a handful of big time online venues. Of course they have that right. They are not the government. He's being canceled, but then West is ultra-wealthy and he just bought Parler media or something, so he's not going to be silenced. I was wondering what would happen to me if I posted on Facebook that George Floyd died from a fentanyl/amphetamine overdose complicated by pre-existing conditions. In other words, not Chauvin's doing. Which I have always considered a possibility. Because - three reasons - (1) nobody but Derek Chauvin knows how much, if any, pressure, he was applying to the neck and Eric Nelson didn't dare put him on the stand, and (2) you can find a medical expert who will say what you want for the pay, and (3) any one of us can die at any time. That's what we signed up  for.
See, me posting on FB is not a big deal, because I am not Kanye West. I'm another anonymous working stiff. So maybe it would be left alone. Then again, rules. I'm curious what would happen. But I'm not going to try it, because (1) my friends & employers, and (2) I'm not really qualified to know what killed Floyd, and (3) whatever the truth is about that unpleasant evening, I'm thinking of African Americans and how painful many things can be these days. Including fentanyl addiction, encounters with the police, poverty, etc.
Can you imagine the flaming? I mean the photos of Chauvin. He just looks like a white supremacist. First, all of his skin is white. Second, the light grey suit. An obvious ploy to make him appear gentle. Anyone can see through that.
I spent three days in FB jail and one of my bigot far right friends is now in FB jail.
ETA: The Floyds are thinking of suing West for having an opinion. Like they haven't got enough litigation cash yet. Plus the rest of those $20 bills.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2022, 06:53:42 PM
Kanye West is getting his interview pulled from a handful of big time online venues. Of course they have that right. They are not the government. He's being canceled, but then West is ultra-wealthy and he just bought Parler media or something, so he's not going to be silenced.

Can I just be a fly on the wall to see the look on Ye's face when he realizes he bought Parler, a worthless platform, for BIG REAL CASH MONEY from the Mercers who are (Death Con 3) Jews?

pleasepleasepleaseillneveraskforanythingeveragain....

mahagonny

I don't know much about Ye and not being knowledgeable of hip hop generally (other than enough to be mostly repelled by it) I was unaware of him except as a familiar name. I admit I liked the White Lives Matter stunt with Candace Owens. If I could make a prediction: a society in which it is acceptable to declare 'F Lives Matter' but it is unacceptable to declare 'G Lives Matter' is unsustainable. Doesn't matter what a nation's history is. You just can't do something like that even if the liberals agree it's necessary or correct, because they are not the society. They're just the liberals.
Bari Weiss now considers West an anti-semitic threat. Of course, as I recall, no one on this forum likes Bari either.

Wahoo Redux

IHE: UC San Diego suspends instructor for racist comments

Lower Deck:
A chemistry instructor at the University of California, San Diego, interrupted class last week to malign "Mexican" campus workers. He's now suspended for the term, but this hasn't satisfied everyone—if anyone.

mahagonny

QuoteUCSD may need to improve its faculty diversity, equity and inclusion training, she added, and should convene a meeting for students to discuss the Ternansky case.

Will the new improved diversity equity and inclusion training include training Hispanic or Latino people to use the term 'Latinx?'

Reminds me of the old joke. A father comes home from work and asks his son, a boy scout, if he has done his good deed for the day.
"Oh yes Dad. Me and two other scouts helped an old lady across the street."
"Why did it take three of you?"
"She didn't want to go."