News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

This is my 1000th post!

Started by traductio, March 18, 2021, 11:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Hmm. I wonder if we need an *actual* clubhouse here....
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

polly_mer

traducio probably should have gone into the sweat lodge.  New whippersnappers like me were sent to the clubhouse as being unworthy of the sweat lodge.

That's why the thread that was just a list of who had hit 1000 posts was titled "The Lodgers".
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

I joined after the houses were defined, so I could have this wrong, but I always thought the name "sweat lodge" was replaced by "Clubhouse" after some concerns about appropriation were raised.

The name "Lodgers" was kept, I think, because the listing thread had already been started and was maintained by a copy-and-paste of the quote function (like the old P/A thread) and it was too hard to re-do, so the name stood.

But that was far back in the mists of time, so again, I might have gotten it wrong.

Anyway, I think I was in whatever it was...

(Also, don't we have a copy of the last post on the thread that Mountainguy created on the Old Forum when he closed down the clubhouse? I thought I remembered getting it copied over, or maybe even copying it as a quote...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

The appropriations thing was small beans next to the fact that I joined and managed a thousand posts in under two months when it took the original June 2006 joiners almost a year. The nasty clique led by crazybatlady (first into the sweat lodge) was quite rude about newcomers who hadn't really earned it getting to be senior in name only.  They would not let me in the sweat lodge and so DrStones proposed Zorastor's Clubhouse at the End of the Universe.  Yeah, you could probably find a few posts about appropriation, but that wasn't the driver to the clubhouse.

Those folks continued to be rude for years.  Merely reading from the beginning in 2003 and then joining "late" (in 2007) meant I was still just an upstart newbie in some quarters, even to the move here in 2019.

Yeah, the thread was kept because it was copy and paste.  I did many of the updates for years until I didn't think the list was worth doing since it wasn't an accurate reflection of who were active members of the community with status, especially as people greatly reduced their participation and yet wanted respect for joining early.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!