News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

statsgeek

I replaced a laptop and a phone in the same week (old laptop broke, deal I couldn't pass up on a new phone) and spent soooooooo much time I didn't really have setting up apps and stuff to get to a point where they're both usable until I can put in more time over break. 

the_geneticist

My first world spoiled kitties have a first world problem.
The holiday advent calendar of canned cat food has replaced 4 of the cans with little containers of treats. My cats do not like these.  They were SAD and CONFUSED.

OneMoreYear

We were luckier than most with our holiday travel. We arrived at my parents' house the week before Christmas and came home today, with only a hour delay in the second leg of our flight (understandable, as the plane needed to be de-iced). So, this is probably a 1st world problem.

We were bringing home some gifts, and I forgot to double-check what we had in one of the carry-ons. We'd accidentally packed a small jar of jam. Thus, our bag was pulled out for scrutiny at security, and we had to throw away the jam. Ok, the jar was more than 3oz, and that was our fault. In that bag, we also had 10 individually wrapped cookies, as my uncle had sent a large box of fancy cookies for us all to enjoy. The TSA worker opened the ziplock bag of cookies and smashed each cookie (still in their individual wrappings) with her thumbs before returning them all to the bag. As far as I know, cookies are a perfectly acceptable carry-on item, so why was this necessary? Are they smashing everyone's baked goods this holiday in security?  All of the cookies are broken, but still tasty.

the_geneticist

It's pouring rain here!  Yes, I have a good jacket.  Yes, I have an umbrella.  No, I don't want to leave my building because it's blowing sideways and my legs will still get wet.

Wahoo Redux

FU Microsoft Customer Service "help."  Just FU.  F your sucky automated system which cannot send a code which your own system will accept.  FU your "800" number which sends you back to the "Online Help" which one cannot log into. FU Microsoft for getting rid of human beings.

Ironically enough, Mircosoft is a perfect example of AI which absolutely does not work.

Why is it that the bigger and wealthier a company gets the worse the customer service gets?

Oh, and FU Dell for selling a laptop with such flimsy hardwear that it literally falls apart after 6 months of use.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

EdnaMode

Doing annual faculty self-evals are definitely an extra special form of torture. Yes, I'm fortunate to have a full-time job that pays the bills, but dang, can't I just write, "see last year, same stuff, different students, and minor changes to content," and turn it in? Some items can be copied and pasted but the online forms we have to use are extremely tedious.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

apl68

Thanks to the Friday exercise class we have at the library, I now have "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" stuck in my head.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

smallcleanrat

Quote from: apl68 on January 13, 2023, 08:03:27 AM
Thanks to the Friday exercise class we have at the library, I now have "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" stuck in my head.

I'm so sorry.

AmLitHist

I'm very grateful that my class got moved to the larger room I requested.  (I tend to get claustrophobic and anxious in smaller classrooms.) However, it is so HOT in this room.  I know:  the entire campus is held at one temp for the winter and another for summer, and we can't control individual rooms.  Still, it was nearly stifling this morning.  I might bring in the oscillating fan from my office, but I think it will just blow around the hot air, rather than making it more comfortable.

Guess I'll be doing a lot of layered outfits for the next couple of months.

Funastrum

My car's front brakes were squealing really loudly.  I got them fixed and the next day the rear brakes started squealing.  I think I will just play the radio really loud for a while.  I can pretend the brake noise might go away. 

Juvenal

Quote from: Funastrum on January 18, 2023, 09:13:18 AM
My car's front brakes were squealing really loudly.  I got them fixed and the next day the rear brakes started squealing.  I think I will just play the radio really loud for a while.  I can pretend the brake noise might go away.

Earbuds and rock music solve these problems (until the car dies miles from civilization on an evening of wind and blowing snow).
Cranky septuagenarian

Wahoo Redux

FU Dell.  I keep hearing about how quality your machines are, but I paid a ton of money for a machine that has already had two major hardware breakdowns in 6 months.  It takes two weeks minimum for Best Buy to fulfill their own warranty, so I took your POS to a local, highly recommended repair shop and, sure, they can do the repair.  Problem is, it will take their "supplier" two weeks to get the part (an effing hinge) to the store and cost $300; they charged me $50 for a 10 minute "diagnostic" (Yelp! review coming!!!).  All because Dell designed some kind of POS or some little factory POS-worker didn't do hu's job right and Best Buy has a "service center" so the geek's in the Geek Squad don't break a nail or something.  I cannot do two weeks without a computer.

Fortunately, my wife has a spare work computer-----ironically a Dell. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We have a water main break near our house that people have been working on since about 3pm. They don't expect to fix it until around midnight. Maybe this should go in the venting thread?

dismalist

Apparently, kids playing pickleball have to be regulated on account of noise. I hadn't even heard of the game! Had to google it.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2023/01/vienna-va-limits-pickleball-play-because-of-noise/

And then there's this. Don't let your kids out of your sight, or the law comes after you!

https://reason.com/2023/01/30/dunkin-donuts-parents-arrested-kids-cops-freedom/
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

You made it this far without hearing about pickleball?  Even I've heard of that one!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all