News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Misinterpreted or misunderstood songs

Started by venerable_bede, June 29, 2019, 03:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

venerable_bede

Inspired by Nebo113's sad song thread, which noted that "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" is about homesickness and loneliness and not, like, just chillin'... what are some other great misinterpreted or generally misunderstood songs?

Please cite artist and title, plus a link if available.

I'll start with an obvious one: Bruce Springsteen, "Born in the U.S.A." [song, NPR discussion]

mahagonny

'Mack The Knife.' Not so much that the lyrics are misunderstood but  the carefree musical quality contrasting with the lurid story. So here's a fun treatment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMRdh9ePus
So it has become a jazz standard, a 'lounge' music staple, thanks to Louis Armstrong, Bobby Darin et al. But look at this - bone chilling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpkejsMOmWk

The song has had an interesting life.

onthefringe

'Nothing Compares 2U', (Prince video, Sinead O'Connor video)  which is frequently found at the top of lists of "most romantic songs" despite being about dealing with a breakup ("It's been seven hours and fifteen days; Since you took your love away")

'Every Breath You Take' (The Police video), about which Sting said "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite." and "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"

clean

the George Bush (the original) re- election anthem "Dont Worry, Be Happy"  (Bobby McFerrin)
Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The landlord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy

There was a financial commercial for 'Spiders'  (Symbol SPY, which is the Exchange Traded Fund  for the S&P 500).  The song they used was "the itsy bitsy spider".... but the song includes, "Down came the rain and washed the spider out"... So do you really want to make an investment that advertises/predicts that it will allow you to be washed out?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

backatit

Quote from: clean on June 29, 2019, 09:46:52 AM
the George Bush (the original) re- election anthem "Dont Worry, Be Happy"  (Bobby McFerrin)
Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The landlord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy

There was a financial commercial for 'Spiders'  (Symbol SPY, which is the Exchange Traded Fund  for the S&P 500).  The song they used was "the itsy bitsy spider".... but the song includes, "Down came the rain and washed the spider out"... So do you really want to make an investment that advertises/predicts that it will allow you to be washed out?

OMG yes, the GB anthem was unintentionally a hilarious commentary on the entire administration. So very meta.

I didn't know about the spiders one - that's pretty good.