News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Welcome Aboard!

Started by eigen, May 16, 2019, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Ok, so I've got the shell of the forum set up.

In our trial period, I'm approving members manually, and pushing people to moderator status who expressed an interest.

If you notice things you are unable to do that you need to, please let me know and I'll adjust permissions. As things are, permissions are... long, so I went through and set some basics that need to be refined.

The main settings I changed from the default SMF install:

1) No attachments.
2) Members can't delete profiles or posts- only moderators.
2b) I can't seem to figure out how to set a time window for editing.
3) I set up post-count based user groups to try to ameliorate spam. We can adjust anything about these as we develop the board.
4) Guests can't search or view profiles.

Semi-long term, I can actually see it being worthwhile to keep membership needing a moderator approval. I don't think we have so many users that it will be prohibitive, and I think it will go a long way to cutting down on spam.

I'm certainly willing to do a once-a-day approval of everyone legitimate in the queue.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Hibush

Thanks for setting this up. Everything looks pretty spiffy!
I look forward to the discussion on the new boards.

Parasaurolophus

w00t! Nice work!

I'll putz around and see what I can see. It sure looks empty without all the threads. Poorest little forum.

I'm happy with manual approval of user accounts for the time being. I check this email account several times a day. Thumbs up on the current settings! One question with respect to 2(b): can you tell what its default setting seems to be? (I'll check back on this post a few times to see when or if the button disappears.)

EDIT: Silly me. I forgot I have far-reaching editorial powers.
I know it's a genus.

fast_and_bulbous

Cool beans. I am still fast, but slightly less bulbous than when I started on the old forum.

Long live thefora.org :)
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

ergative

Hurrah! I'm so thrilled that we got this going so fast.

Wahoo Redux

Indeed: W00T!!!  Thank you for all your hard work!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

eigen

Nothing like some extra opportunities for productive procrastination during final exam grading.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

aside

This is definitely an improvement over the older version of SMF, yet still feels like home.  Thanks so much to eigen for setting it up, and to all the others who have provided their insight and expertise toward building the new fora.

Scout

spork

Hello.

FYI, I am able to post apparently without manual approval. When I created my account, I received an email that said "Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved.  When this happens, you will receive another email from this address." I did not receive a second email.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

eigen

My guess is you were approved and one of us forgot to send the email.

When moderators approve users, we have to manually select the "send email", and I've been forgetting that part at least part of the time.

I can tell you that you were approved, however, according to our logs.

Puget

Thanks to everyone who did the hard work of moving camp for us!
Everything is familiar but with nice upgrades-- my geographical moniker always looked so wrong lower cased.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

Quote from: Puget on May 18, 2019, 07:31:24 AM
Everything is familiar but with nice upgrades-- my geographical moniker always looked so wrong lower cased.
Yes, it looks more Sound now.

Puget

Quote from: Hibush on May 18, 2019, 09:17:09 AM
Quote from: Puget on May 18, 2019, 07:31:24 AM
Yes, it looks more Sound now.

Hibush gets the Pun Award for today!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Wonderfully both bad and deep.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.