News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Some policy things lot of us would think are good?

Started by jimbogumbo, August 26, 2022, 02:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 31, 2022, 04:42:45 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 30, 2022, 09:55:14 PM

Unless the "generations" with "basic values" you refer to are those since 1965 or thereabouts----or our late-Boomer / early Gen X generation----at which point I chuckle dismissively in your direction and ignore you from here on out.  We are the generation which largely rejected a great many of the "basic values" that stunted our country for so long.  We then invented others of our own...

As John McWhorter said, I'd like to go back to about 1992, where the laws and social attitudes were generally focused on peoples' common humanity. Things regressed in the 2000's with the rise of the social justice cult and identity politics.

So that was after "overt institutional racism" was gone, for a generation or so.

The practice is over, but the effects go on and on for generations.

mahagonny

Well, speaking of values, the consensus is gone on obesity. Obesity is a big problem in the USA today. One statistic, something like 53% of Black women are obese. Not only is there a lot of it, people in the media, Hollywood, music business, et al are trying to make it beautiful. It's a disservice to our children to neglect to identify healthy living habits. How do you identify policies that are good for everyone when you don't even know what your values are?

Wahoo Redux

Unless the "generations" with "basic values" you refer to are those since 1965 or thereabouts----or our late-Boomer / early Gen X generation----at which point I chuckle dismissively in your direction and ignore you from here on out.  We are the generation which largely rejected a great many of the "basic values" that stunted our country for so long.  We then invented others of our own...

As John McWhorter said, I'd like to go back to about 1992, where the laws and social attitudes were generally focused on peoples' common humanity. Things regressed in the 2000's with the rise of the social justice cult and identity politics.

So that was after "overt institutional racism" was gone, for a generation or so.

It's so funny the way people think.

1992 was not remarkably different from 2022 in regard to people's social attitudes.  If anything, we are far more empathetic and accepting of the differences between people now than we were back then with the racial turmoil of the 70s and the hedonism of the '80s still lingering in the air.  There is something about the 30 or 40 year golden past that makes people nostalgic, righteous, and just plain silly.  Sing: "We could use a man like Herbert Hoover again!"

And, of course, people see what they want to see in politics and social issues, like your buddy, McWhorter (who complains a lot).  If there is "regression" it is the rise of racism and xenophobia poorly disguised as patriotism.  That's just old school.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 31, 2022, 07:49:06 AM

It's so funny the way people think.

1992 was not remarkably different from 2022 in regard to people's social attitudes.  If anything, we are far more empathetic and accepting of the differences between people now than we were back then with the racial turmoil of the 70s and the hedonism of the '80s still lingering in the air.  There is something about the 30 or 40 year golden past that makes people nostalgic, righteous, and just plain silly.  Sing: "We could use a man like Herbert Hoover again!"

And, of course, people see what they want to see in politics and social issues, like your buddy, McWhorter (who complains a lot).  If there is "regression" it is the rise of racism and xenophobia poorly disguised as patriotism. That's just old school.

So do you honestly think more people are racist or xenophobic now than 30 years ago? If they're older than 30, did they become more racist, and if so why? If they're younger than that were they indoctrinated into it, and by who? Do racists have a higher birthrate than others? If not, how are there more?

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

I don't know whether xenophobia is on the rise, but I do know that it is more prevalent among those who identify as democrats. A greater percentage of democrats report that they would not be friends with or date a conservative than the portion of conservatives who say they would not date or be friends with a liberal.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on August 31, 2022, 08:51:55 AM
I don't know whether xenophobia is on the rise, but I do know that it is more prevalent among those who identify as democrats. A greater percentage of democrats report that they would not be friends with or date a conservative than the portion of conservatives who say they would not date or be friends with a liberal.

Firstly, look up the definition of "xenophobia."

Secondly, the Repubs have gone insane.  Somehow they swept you along with them.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Here's a proposal.  How about legislation that would allow criminal charges against utility corporations that hike their rates massively when there is clearly no justification.  In a single month my land line bill went up by $16.  My cell bill went up by $10 in the same month.  I get only basic services with both--the landline doesn't even come with long distance--and in one fell swoop I'm suddenly being charged over $300 a year more for phone service!  They can't claim supply chain or fuel cost issues here, either.  It's nothing but raw corporate greed.  Dropping the landline is not really an option in my case, because I'm effectively required to be on call through that number whenever I'm at home.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Does the library cover that bill already?

When I've worked jobs where I had to have phone service structures that I wouldn't have otherwise used, I turned in my phone costs with my expenses and was reimbursed (say, international calls I wouldn't have made, or service types I didn't use myself) 

For my most recent EA job, in fact, it was covered completely....they bought the phone and paid all the bills because I didn't use it for my own use much at all beyond my own, usual, occasional local family/friend calls (and the ED wanted me to have unlimited service, anyway, so there was no extra for that).

I realize those may be apples and oranges, in your situation, but maybe you could either ask the phone co. about usage, since you're working for a non-profit, or the library board to pick up the difference?

It shouldn't have to come out of your pocket, it seems to me (I realize that may also not be how they see it...).

I'd at least ask...as E. Roosevelt said, "Never be the instrument of your own oppression."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Publicly funded elections for any party that managed 5% of the vote in the last election.

The end of the Electoral College.

Ranked choice voting.

Election day becomes a national holiday & voting is mandatory for all over the age of 18. 

Elections monitored by non-partisan, non-elected officials.

In a primary, the top 2 vote getters in each district go on to the general.

A minimum of 3 viable political parties in any state or federal election.

I have ZERO expectation any of these will ever come to pass.  At least not until the overwhelming majority of citizens come to see our electoral process as broken beyond easy repair and/or at least stop viewing the opposition as enemies of the state who must be hunted down and eliminated because "our way of life is under attack."
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mahagonny

QuoteElection day becomes a national holiday & voting is mandatory for all over the age of 18. 

Really? Interesting. I have declined to vote for either candidate when I didn't feel informed enough to make the responsible choice. I would just skip that one and vote on the others.

dismalist

Quote from: secundem_artem on September 01, 2022, 01:16:28 PM
Publicly funded elections for any party that managed 5% of the vote in the last election.

The end of the Electoral College.

Ranked choice voting.

Election day becomes a national holiday & voting is mandatory for all over the age of 18. 

Elections monitored by non-partisan, non-elected officials.

In a primary, the top 2 vote getters in each district go on to the general.

I have ZERO expectation any of these will ever come to pass.  At least not until the overwhelming majority of citizens come to see our electoral process as broken beyond easy repair and/or at least stop viewing the opposition as enemies of the state who must be hunted down and eliminated because "our way of life is under attack."

You're gonna get a lot of parties. There's gold in them 'thar hills!

QuoteThe end of the Electoral College.

The beginning of the tyranny of the majority.
Ranked choice voting.

Don't need it if we don't pay to have more parties.

Don't know why voting should be mandatory. Voting over age 21 would be better, 40 until 60 would be best. :-)

QuoteElections monitored by non-partisan, non-elected officials.

Such people don't exist. Where I live, we have political hacks watching each other, hawk like. That's fine.

QuoteIn a primary, the top 2 vote getters in each district go on to the general.

Nay, in the primaries we use Ranked Choice Voting. That'd take out the nut jobs.

Ah, coalition politics! The smallest party or parties will have the most influence.
I have ZERO expectation any of these will ever come to pass.

Thank God! System is working. Don't fix it.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

waterboy

Which is preferred - tyranny of the majority (getting rid of the electoral college) or tyranny of the minority (what we now have)? 
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

dismalist

We have 28 Republican governors and 22 Democratic governors. Of State legislatures, 30 are Republican, 17 are Democratic, and 3 are split. No minority is running anything.

The US Senate has a slim Democratic majority and the US House of Representatives has a respectable Democratic majority. Sure, it's hard for the Democrats to do stuff with the filibuster, but a minority can't do stuff at all.

Thus, the President can't do everything he wants to. That's the way it was designed. No tyranny of the majority.

Maybe the US Supreme court? Which didn't ban abortion, but rather left it up to the States, in which majorities can decide, rather than force the same policy on every State.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anon1787

Quote from: waterboy on September 02, 2022, 06:59:39 AM
Which is preferred - tyranny of the majority (getting rid of the electoral college) or tyranny of the minority (what we now have)?

As with the criticisms of the Senate, claiming that it's rule of minority requires that you nationalize the electorate into one group rather than 50 (plus DC) distinct electorates of sovereign political communities in our federal--not unitary--system. Speaking of federalism, political polarization is exacerbated by nationalizing every issue.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Anon1787 on September 02, 2022, 10:19:54 AM
Quote from: waterboy on September 02, 2022, 06:59:39 AM

As with the criticisms of the Senate, claiming that it's rule of minority requires that you nationalize the electorate into one group rather than 50 (plus DC) distinct electorates of sovereign political communities in our federal--not unitary--system. Speaking of federalism, political polarization is exacerbated by nationalizing every issue.

Part of this perception is due to population imbalance among the 50 states. Here are the populations of the 16-17 colonies in 1790: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1790_United_States_census