News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Transitioned students

Started by mahagonny, September 10, 2022, 04:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I have two students who were male last year and now are female. Wife says I should tell them about each other so they can mutually support. I say I should refrain from commenting on things that have not been brought to my attention out of respect for privacy. Any ideas?

nebo113

ciao_yall

I'm guessing they probably know about each other through the campus LGBTQ community. No need to get involved.

Parasaurolophus

You're right, it's not for you to do. And yeah, either they know each other already, or they soon will.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

mahagonny

Follow up: Alicia is in my class again this year. Last year Alicia was Tyrone. She is in my class again this year along with a handful of other holdovers from last year. Should I say anything to the class or just let them observe that I am calling the student by a different name and let things progress as they will? Should I ask Alicia what to do?

Ruralguy

Just call Alicia, Alicia. I can't see any reason to announce that Alicia used to be someone else.

mahagonny

redacted

jimbogumbo

If it were me, and I knew them both, I'd for sure meet or contact each one separately and offer individual support. I'd also offer a preemptive apology for messing up a name. FWIW I knew individual students by name in each class I taught (35 and fewer was typical for my department).

I almost certainly would do something I felt badly about by accident (you might be better than I). I only hope they'll be as gracious as a colleague of mine was. She had recently transitioned, and when we were drinking beer and eating bbq with alums outside in a very cold tent I said something about being cold, and then added "I guess I'm just not as a much of a man as I used to be" entirely cluelessly (a phrase I'd uttered a bunch as I aged in the early 90s). She just smiled and said there was a lot of that going around recently, which helped me feel less like an ass.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 10, 2022, 01:24:34 PM

I almost certainly would do something I felt badly about by accident (you might be better than I). I only hope they'll be as gracious as a colleague of mine was. She had recently transitioned, and when we were drinking beer and eating bbq with alums outside in a very cold tent I said something about being cold, and then added "I guess I'm just not as a much of a man as I used to be" entirely cluelessly (a phrase I'd uttered a bunch as I aged in the early 90s). She just smiled and said there was a lot of that going around recently, which helped me feel less like an ass.

This is the way woke culture makes the only safe choice be to have minimal interaction with anyone other than close friends and family members. It's why many male managers have decided to never mentor female subordinates. When innocent actions that no-one in a previous generation would have seen as offensive can now have serious consequences, the prudent person just avoids any contact that isn't specifically necessary and directed to a very utilitarian purpose.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 10, 2022, 01:49:47 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 10, 2022, 01:24:34 PM

This is the way woke culture makes the only safe choice be to have minimal interaction with anyone other than close friends and family members. It's why many male managers have decided to never mentor female subordinates. When innocent actions that no-one in a previous generation would have seen as offensive can now have serious consequences, the prudent person just avoids any contact that isn't specifically necessary and directed to a very utilitarian purpose.

the DEI department in my other school (not the one where this is happening) has training on how to correctly apologize for microagressive speech or some such. I've seen descriptions on their webpage, but I haven't taken any of this training. Soon it will be mandatory so I may have something to report.
I don't have to (get to) mentor, as an adjunct.
[redacted]

ETA:
I know these two students pretty well and I had a feeling this was coming. I'm not too worried about getting along with them. I think we have a good relationship. I don't consider these situations to be particularly happy or healthy, but I am able to lay that aside and handle my work responsibility.
How I feel about professors and others who want to queer up our population from grade school on up is another story from these students that I like. These older activists are not my favorite people. But I did come here with a couple specific questions. so thanks for the replies so far.

jimbogumbo

marshwiggle: it was no big deal because my colleague knew me and trusted me as a friend. I merely suggested a preemptive apology for using the previous name by accident; the student(s) might not have had that relationship with mahaggony. That can be a much bigger deal than a remark such as mine, especially if coming from a professor with an agenda.

mahagonny

You must be used to hanging out with tenured people. We don't have agendas and we barely have personalities.
Marshy I didn't want to cut you off if you have a comment.

mahagonny

[double]

OK, I appreciate the suggestion about the preemptive apology. Perhaps I'll use. It can't hurt.

Sun_Worshiper

There is no reason to make an announcement or preemptive apology or introductions. Just teach the class and call on the student by whatever name is in the class roster (if they want you to call them something different then they'll let you know).