News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Note: banning

Started by Parasaurolophus, November 18, 2022, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

In the interest of transparency, I feel the need to announce that I have permanently banned mahagonny's account. I don't want to make a practice of announcing such things--it doesn't seem appropriate, in general--but at this point, their persistent bad behaviour on this board was just too much, and was clearly affecting too many other members.

We have a very open moderation policy here, and that actually makes it pretty hard to moderate effectively, since I'm constantly having to err against my better judgement. But at this point, policing mahagonny's contributions just wasn't feasible any more (especially for just me), and it's not like doing so over the last few months has helped much at all. Their continued participation here made our forum a distinctly unfriendly (even hateful) place, and their contributions to the discussion here amounted to little more than either offhand hate directed towards their groupe du jour, or a monomaniacal focus on Black people. I judged that enough was enough.

If you want to advocate for them, you may certainly do so (via PM, please), but at this point, I need to be given solid reasons to believe that mahagonny's continued presence here won't continue to be deleterious to the community. If you think I've overstepped myself, that's fine too, and you're welcome to say so as publicly or privately as you like.

As far as I'm concerned, no other bans are imminent. Nobody else's behaviour is a patch on mahagonny's.
I know it's a genus.

Juvenal

As some say, "Tell us what you really feel."
Cranky septuagenarian

Hegemony

Thanks, Para. The monomaniacal posts on so many threads were really becoming almost too much to bear, in my view, and overshadowing the rest of the board.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kaysixteen

Unfortunately it was needed.   BTW, how many moderators do these fora currently have active?

nebo113

While I  regret that it once again reached this point, and know it was a difficult decision for you, I am much relieved.

downer

I had muted that poster's postings, so I mostly didn't see them. But seems like a reasonable decision, especially given the future of the website being somewhat uncertain. It needs to be a place people want to support.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ergative

You have my full support in this.

Puget

It was the right call-- thanks for making it!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Regrettable as the need was, I support this decision. 

I really, really hope that mahagonny can get some help off-line.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 19, 2022, 01:31:32 AM
BTW, how many moderators do these fora currently have active?

Pretty much just me, really.
I know it's a genus.

Clarino1

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on November 19, 2022, 06:46:30 AM

Same.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on November 19, 2022, 06:46:30 AM

Yep.

Sun_Worshiper

Thanks for all you do around here, Para, we appreciate it.