News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

RIP mamselle

Started by mystictechgal, January 01, 2023, 09:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mystictechgal

I have a request, if anyone is capable of assisting.

Mamselle's local friends are trying to sort stuff out at her apartment and take care of what they can. Her family is in MI, so not local. I let them know that I'd notified the board and one of them said that she also liked to speak French with folks online and that it would be nice to notify that community, as well - IF anyone knew what that community was. None of us do.

So, if any of you know what other on-line groups she was communicating with, could you let me know, please? If you are also a member of one of those groups, perhaps you would be kind enough to notify them and let me know that it's been done. Otherwise, if we can find the community, perhaps I can reach out to a moderator or administrator there and pass the info that way.

I will say, trying to help sort things out for her has started me thinking about what I need to do to make things easier should my friends ever be put into this position on my behalf. For instance, I know she was trying to use her phone to send something out having to do with her rent, which is in arrears. But, it wasn't going through for some reason & I don't know if it finally did, or not. While we have her phone, we don't have her password in order to check. I've realized that giving my trusted friends a list of passwords, in addition to the people who need to be contacted - which they already have - is something I really need to do for them.

paultuttle

Just sent you some info from my PMs that may or may not help . . . .

--Paul, still shocked

darkstarrynight

I am saddened by this news but appreciate your sharing with us. Mamselle also reached out to me via PMs many times and offered help outside of the fora generously.

Stockmann

Very sad news. My condolences to her family and friends. She will be missed.

mystictechgal

Did she, by any chance, tell any of you - via post or PM - what journal had just accepted one of her papers for publication? We know it happened - she was quite excited about making the final revisions - but we don't know who accepted it. Occurred to us that they should be notified, if we can figure out who they are.

Puget

Quote from: mystictechgal on January 04, 2023, 09:46:26 AM
Did she, by any chance, tell any of you - via post or PM - what journal had just accepted one of her papers for publication? We know it happened - she was quite excited about making the final revisions - but we don't know who accepted it. Occurred to us that they should be notified, if we can figure out who they are.

I don't know, sorry. But if someone can figure it out, the journal may let you or someone else qualified be added as co-author and make the final revisions, since that seems like it would be important to her-- This is based on my experience, but in a totally different field, so YMMV. When I was a postdoc my advisor's close collaborator died suddenly, leaving his grad students adrift without a senior author on their papers (I mean, that was the least of the impact, but still a problem)-- my advisor was able to take over and help them finish, and the deceased colleagues name stayed on the papers with a footnote that it was posthumous and that the papers were dedicated to his memory.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ciao_yall

Ooh I would love to read it! If someone can find the piece, please let us all know!

traductio

About a year ago she wrote me to share an article that she was submitting to The AGS Quarterly: Bulletin of the Association for Gravestone Studies. Given the amount of time it would take an article to go through review, that might very well be it.

I'm not sure how widely Mamselle would want her real-life identity known (I know it matters more to some people than to others), so I'm hesitant to provide more details publicly. But it might be worth following up with the editor to see whether that was indeed the venue.

sprout

As so many others have said, I appreciated mamselle's posts and will miss her presence here.

Myword

Sorry to read this, too. I liked her sense of humor here. Didn't know her name

Ruralguy

A very prominent person in my field died in a hideous accident (it made the national news). He was on posthumous papers for about 5 years. Of course, he and his colleagues had stables of students to finish the work. My guess is that if you can figure out the journal, they'll work with you.

paddington_bear

Oh my gosh. This is so sad. She was incredibly nice to me. If I posted something and then got a private message, I always knew it was an encouraging or funny note from her.

apl68

Sudden overcast
Walking chilly streets with thoughts
Of a friend now gone
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Langue_doc

Quote from: traductio on January 04, 2023, 11:30:13 AM

I'm not sure how widely Mamselle would want her real-life identity known (I know it matters more to some people than to others), so I'm hesitant to provide more details publicly. But it might be worth following up with the editor to see whether that was indeed the venue.

Forumites' right to privacy should be sacrosanct. Although mamselle used her real name when communicating with me and other forumites, this was in the context of personal messages. One of her communications with me was out of concern that I had inadvertently outed myself (I hadn't). Under the circumstances, we should be respectful of her privacy, and not divulge any personal or professional information such as her publications.

MTG, could you ask forumites to communicate with you directly about where mamselle's most recent article was published?

mystictechgal

Quote from: traductio on January 04, 2023, 11:30:13 AM
About a year ago she wrote me to share an article that she was submitting to The AGS Quarterly: Bulletin of the Association for Gravestone Studies. Given the amount of time it would take an article to go through review, that might very well be it.

Thank you! I have passed the information on.