What advice would you have wished you got at the start of your career?

Started by clean, February 24, 2023, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Our landlord died and the title company had no desire to rent.  So we bought.  We are going to use the proceeds from my inheritance to pay off the house.  The inheritance is not enough money to make us wealthy for the rest of our lives but it would be a nice nest egg for retirement.  The house will take a good chunk of it.  Our reasoning is that A) it is amazing how much interest a bank makes off mortgages and B) our school is looking a little shaky, so we figure if we own the house outright we cannot be put on the street.  Even if my wife loses here job, I think we can work at Starbucks if we have to and squeak by once the house is paid for; COL is very low here.

My fear is that we will find some other opportunity, academic or not, in a better part of the country, and we will be stuck with a house that we cannot sell.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Career

* Regarding career, I think I did most everything right except for one thing, and I'll share that one thing:
When in doubt, STFU.

Financial

* I wish I knew more about the government's loan forgiveness programs, deferment options, and balloon payment programs. I was prudent with my relatively small loans, but some of my cohort who racked up six-digit loans and lived much more lavishly than I did during grad school, and continued to live lavishly after school by deferring payments, are now getting their big loans forgiven.

Personal

* Meet more people in grad school; do try to have a social life in school, and not just for professional networking. Maybe my social life in grad school suffered because I didn't hang out at restaurants and bars very much and go on expensive spring break trips, because I wasn't funding an otherwise unattainable lifestyle with student loans . . . . .

* Get a dog.

fishbrains

Quote from: lightning on March 08, 2023, 03:13:06 PM
Career

* Regarding career, I think I did most everything right except for one thing, and I'll share that one thing:
When in doubt, STFU.
On the flip side, I would add When not in doubt, say something--even if it feels like you're stating the obvious. Unless it gets you fired, of course. I can't relate how many bad ideas have been enacted because no one would say, "Bruh, that just ain't gonna work."
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Ruralguy

It depends. If you have an impulse to say something, ask yourself why. If its just to throw out a comment or because you don't like the person, or the comment is trivial, then don't say anything. But if you feel that that something is wrong, say so, and especially if someone asks you. 99% of the time its not a weird trick (though I have seen that 1% that are weird tricks!),

Liquidambar

Career/life:
Work on your mental health problems sooner rather than later.  They aren't going to fix themselves.  They'll only get worse.

Friends (and friendly colleagues) will be more supportive of this process than you might fear.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

paultuttle

1. Too often, undeserving people will win, be rewarded, or pass you by on their climb up the ladder. Sometimes, they'll even step on your hands as they climb. Frequently, you can't do a thing about it, because life isn't fair; you'll just have to accept that as a given.

2. Save time and energy for your own needs, relationships, hobbies, etc. Life's not all about work, even though you need the results of work (money) in order to live. So work to live, not the other way around.

3. Paraphrasing what Elrond told Frodo, you'll find unexpected challenges, obstacles, and difficulties along your journey, along with enemies who may or may not be targeting you personally. You'll also find unexpected opportunities, rewards, and recognition, along with allies/collaborators/partners who like and/or respect/admire you/your efforts. Make a series of plans, yes, but realize that these positive and negative aspects of your journey cannot be specifically planned for--you'll simply need to be ready to deal with them when they come.

4. Advocate for yourself, because you're the one who'll do it best.

5. Stay open to possibilities. Continue to be a lifelong learner. Step out of your comfort zone from time to time. Seek out new experiences. Live in the moment--this may be your only time to do so.

Kron3007

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 09, 2023, 04:20:21 PM
* Get a dog.

This is the single best advice of the thread.

I dont know, I really regret getting my Dog and would say the best advice would have been not to get the dog.  Nothing wrong with him, but now we can't go anywhere or do anything without a lot of planning etc. 

Wanna go on a spontaneous trip? 
Wanna go somewhere on sabbatical? 

Too bad, you've got that bloody dog to deal with...

clean

QuoteToo bad, you've got that bloody dog to deal with...

IF you have a 'bloody dog' then it seems that your path is clear!  A vet is in your immediate future!  And you wont have the money to go on a spontaneous trip OR sabbatical as you will have vet bills to pay, and then carpet and furniture to clean! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

lightning

Quote from: Kron3007 on March 10, 2023, 01:32:20 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 09, 2023, 04:20:21 PM
* Get a dog.

This is the single best advice of the thread.

I dont know, I really regret getting my Dog and would say the best advice would have been not to get the dog.  Nothing wrong with him, but now we can't go anywhere or do anything without a lot of planning etc. 

Wanna go on a spontaneous trip? 
Wanna go somewhere on sabbatical? 

Too bad, you've got that bloody dog to deal with...

Quote from: clean on March 10, 2023, 03:37:30 PM
QuoteToo bad, you've got that bloody dog to deal with...

IF you have a 'bloody dog' then it seems that your path is clear!  A vet is in your immediate future!  And you wont have the money to go on a spontaneous trip OR sabbatical as you will have vet bills to pay, and then carpet and furniture to clean! 

Yes, all of this is true.

Not going anywhere on spring break has mostly to do with me being too burnt out on traveling, but I also have a dog to worry about. And if I have a spontaneous urge to go somewhere, I have to consider the dog as part of my spontaneous travel plan.

Yeah, my vet bills so far are starting to look like out-of-pocket costs for a human being, and future planned surgery will have four digits in the price.

Yeah, I have to clean my carpets more often.

Yeah, the lawn that I work so hard to maintain is constantly getting ruined.

Yeah, I always have to worry about if the dog needs to use the bathroom.

Yeah, my dog smells and so does my carpet.

Still worth it, by a long shot (at least for me). When the dog is happy to see me and expresses that sentiment in so many ways (for example, it is cuddling next to me on the couch right now, as I type), for every conscious minute, no matter what, the dog makes me happy.

YMMV.

Vkw10

Career:

Asking a clarifying question can bring attention to an issue without gaining a reputation for being negative or quarrelsome.
When someone quiet makes a comment that's being overlooked by the motormouths on the committee, a question that begins, "[Name], you said something about [whatever]. Would you say a bit more about that?" is a useful strategy for turning the conversation and gaining an ally.
Re-read the promotion requirements every year and update your plan to meet them. Aim above the minimum. Plan to promote to highest rank, not just next rank.

Financial:
Bring your own beverage, lunch, and snack at least four days a week.
Invest in the voluntary retirement plan, not just the mandatory plan.

Personal/Health:
Take a short walk on campus twice a day, every day. Vary your path. Smile at people. Wave or say hello, but keep walking. You'll clear your head, get in a bit of exercise, and be noticed by admin critters dashing about as positive presence on campus.

General:
Be good to the administrative assistants. Respond to requests, fill out forms, and submit receipts promptly. Making their lives easier pays off, as they'll want to make your life easier in return. Plus you get reimbursements faster if you do the paperwork promptly.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)