News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on April 08, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
Blaming the Russkies has been a convenient way of avoiding thought. Interest in understanding why Trump won has been zero, in both parties, I might add.

You sound like you might agree with me: one reason Trump won was people on the left who wrote off the entire republican party as racist, starting a war of words and accusations. Mitt Romney was on the receiving end of this brand of 'analysis' so the dynamics were in place before Trump's ascension. I know people at work, left-leaning, who still haven't grasped this. So it can happen again. There is no progress until this obnoxious habit of calling people racist anytime the whim strikes is outed and stopped.
If an entire party thinks you're a racist because you tend to vote 'R' then when your choice is between a President who's somewhat racist (although his weird behavior is easily explained by narcissistic personality disorder rather than any fervent anti-social agenda) and the representative of the people who hate you, you choose Trump.

ciao_yall

Quote from: spork on April 08, 2020, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 08, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
Blaming the Russkies has been a convenient way of avoiding thought. Interest in understanding why Trump won has been zero, in both parties, I might add.

The word "populism" may be useful now, perhaps to describe those for whom the American Dream came up short.  There are some left populists, some Sanders folk, and there are the not-so-left populists, the Trump folk. It is only natural that the more left populists join the not-so-left populists now that their standard bearer has withdrawn, for they have in common that they have been short changed.

Interim bottom line: Sanders' loss is Trump's gain.

I don't have any knowledge of what research has been done by either party on why Trump won, but the academic research indicates that racist attitudes among large proportions of the electorate in key districts played a big role.

Also a pull between "closed" protectionists (Sanders, Trump who both in the early days were all about trade protections and immigration limits) and "open" globalists (Clinton, who supported the WTO, EU, etc).

polly_mer

People might be amused to find out Valerie Plame is running for Congress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCFFgVs_zs

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nebo113

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 04:25:16 PM
People might be amused to find out Valerie Plame is running for Congress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCFFgVs_zs

More government experience than the current leader of the free world.

polly_mer

Quote from: nebo113 on May 19, 2020, 06:45:26 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 04:25:16 PM

More government experience than the current leader of the free world.

But much less relevant government expertise than literally everyone else running in that particular race as a Democrat.

polly_mer

Anyone else still have upcoming state primaries and annoyed upon realizing only the local elections will even bother to count the ballot cast?

It's not just one or two states left per https://www.270towin.com/2020-election-calendar/

apl68

Since our Mayor recently died in office, people around here are mainly paying attention to the upcoming special mayoral election.  There are no fewer than five hats in the ring!  For one very small town.  I personally hope that our quite capable interim Mayor wins.  We'll see.  Of course I'll have to establish a good working relationship with whoever wins.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on May 26, 2020, 07:28:04 AM
Since our Mayor recently died in office, people around here are mainly paying attention to the upcoming special mayoral election.  There are no fewer than five hats in the ring!  For one very small town.  I personally hope that our quite capable interim Mayor wins.  We'll see.  Of course I'll have to establish a good working relationship with whoever wins.

Recent small town election in my county:  Fewer than 200 votes.  Tied.  Drew lots for winner.  And that town is under a boil water advisory.  Hmmm.....

Economizer

Lately, press & Pres. have locked horns on primary absentee ballot
trustiness issues. The Presidnt holds that there will be a lot of cheating and irregularities while his opponents say he can't prove it.
Both are opinions! Actually, there has never been a circumstance where, potentially, there would be such a huge number of such ballots cast. So, probably, it cannot be determined as to whatever.
I lean toward there being a good possibility of irregularities.

What I think is that there is a great polarization at the national level which will minimize any absentee ballot manipulations. However, at the local and state levels is where the dirty deeds will be done. And, those will be done by PROS!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

dismalist

I fear the current riots [not the protests] will benefit Trump this coming November. In '68 Tricky Dick also ran on Law and Order.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on May 30, 2020, 05:27:32 PM
I fear the current riots [not the protests] will benefit Trump this coming November. In '68 Tricky Dick also ran on Law and Order.
If he does, point out that George Wallace was the ultimate law and order candidate.

spork

Several U.S. Senate races looking increasingly bad for Republicans:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/05/28/polls-show-senate-control-slipping-away-from-republicans/#42330b5d3db6.

What's not mentioned in this story is that Susan Collins has surprisingly high unfavorability ratings in a recent poll that puts her behind Gideon by 9 points.

But, as Killer Mike said in Atlanta, changing the system means voting in local elections.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Puget

Quote from: spork on May 31, 2020, 02:37:34 AM
Several U.S. Senate races looking increasingly bad for Republicans:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/05/28/polls-show-senate-control-slipping-away-from-republicans/#42330b5d3db6.

What's not mentioned in this story is that Susan Collins has surprisingly high unfavorability ratings in a recent poll that puts her behind Gideon by 9 points.

But, as Killer Mike said in Atlanta, changing the system means voting in local elections.

I hope so, but I'd be skeptical about SC and KS.
On the other hand, Gardner is definitely toast (as a former Coloradan, anyone who thinks otherwise has not caught up with how quickly the state has changed since he narrowly won in the 2014 R wave election), and given that McSally lost the last senate race in AZ and doesn't seem to have gotten more popular in her appointed seat (and given who she's running against) I'm willing to buy those poll numbers too.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

secundem_artem

I figure before this is all over, Trump will have resurrected the Two Minute Hate from Orwell's 1984.

Before everything closed down, he had a rally using one of our campus buildings.  I spent 20 minutes walking among those waiting in line to get in.  One of the more popular tee shirts on offer among the vendors was "Trump 2020  Fvck your feelings."

The only problem he'll have getting them all fired up in a Two Minute Hate will be stopping them after 2 minutes.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

nebo113

Quote from: secundem_artem on May 31, 2020, 12:55:24 PM
I figure before this is all over, Trump will have resurrected the Two Minute Hate from Orwell's 1984.

Before everything closed down, he had a rally using one of our campus buildings.  I spent 20 minutes walking among those waiting in line to get in.  One of the more popular tee shirts on offer among the vendors was "Trump 2020  Fvck your feelings."

The only problem he'll have getting them all fired up in a Two Minute Hate will be stopping them after 2 minutes.

I fear that you are correct.