News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 26, 2020, 07:56:02 AM
Biden on funding for science research: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/10/26/biden-would-increase-science-funding

On a semi-related note, I would like at least one President and Congress in my lifetime to initiate a project that reduces travel time via rail between Boston and Washington, DC, from 8-10 hours to 4 hours. And 90 minutes between Boston and New York City. But I'll probably die before this country gets a First World passenger rail system.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on October 30, 2020, 08:14:47 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 26, 2020, 07:56:02 AM
Biden on funding for science research: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/10/26/biden-would-increase-science-funding

On a semi-related note, I would like at least one President and Congress in my lifetime to initiate a project that reduces travel time via rail between Boston and Washington, DC, from 8-10 hours to 4 hours. And 90 minutes between Boston and New York City. But I'll probably die before this country gets a First World passenger rail system.

Unfortunately, we haven't had many leaders or politicians who prioritize Science. I highly doubt we will get anything like the TGV in France or the other high speed trains any time soon. It's a shame. So many of our politicians sold out and we've been stuck in a rut for years.

Back to the political ads- I counted them. 109.

Parasaurolophus

You might get it if a Green New Deal gets ever gets off the ground, with its proposed massive investments in public transportation. But to do that, you'd have to vote in more ordinary people, and fewer corporate hackjob morons who think politics is a skills contest their failson/daughter CV will win for them
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

At least Acela is a start...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mythbuster

Really, Biden should be the go to man for anything train related. I would LOVE to see real high speed trains across the country.

mamselle

Yes, cross-country TGV would indeed be amazing.

I'd take them all the time (once Covid is not an issue).

I live on the trains when in Europe and England. One meets so many cool people and sees so much more.

I mean, clouds and all are pretty and fine and all that, but I've indeed looked at clouds from both sides, now....etc.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on October 30, 2020, 09:57:47 AM

I live on the trains when in Europe and England. One meets so many cool people and sees so much more.

I mean, clouds and all are pretty and fine and all that, but I've indeed looked at clouds from both sides, now....etc.

M.

Nice song reference.

sprout

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 30, 2020, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 30, 2020, 09:57:47 AM

M.

Nice song reference.
Aaaand...there's my earworm of the day!

AmLitHist

Stores in St. Louis and the county have been boarding up since mid-week, hoping to avoid more damage and destruction as they've seen too often over the past five years of racial unrest. One of the board-up companies was said to have orders for 4000 sheets of plywood to get up by Monday night.

mamselle

A friend from Texas just reported armed men in trucks trying to run Biden's bus off the road.

Does anyone have anything further on this?

Were they, by chance, possibly, I hope, arrested?

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on October 31, 2020, 03:01:49 PM
A friend from Texas just reported armed men in trucks trying to run Biden's bus off the road.

Does anyone have anything further on this?

Were they, by chance, possibly, I hope, arrested?

M.

Isn't Biden in Michigan?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Might be now, but this was a couple days ago, I think.

Might also be that my friend is confused.

I'll ask.

M.

Just looked it up, it happened earlier:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/democrats-cancel-central-texas-events-after-trump-supporters-surround-follow-biden-bus-on-i-35/

Langue_doc

Quote from: AmLitHist on October 31, 2020, 01:28:36 PM
Stores in St. Louis and the county have been boarding up since mid-week, hoping to avoid more damage and destruction as they've seen too often over the past five years of racial unrest. One of the board-up companies was said to have orders for 4000 sheets of plywood to get up by Monday night.

Stores in NYC have also boarded up. Macy's had the boards in place yesterday, as did several other stores, especially the ones that suffered damages during the past several months.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on October 31, 2020, 03:09:06 PM
Might be now, but this was a couple days ago, I think.

Might also be that my friend is confused.

I'll ask.

M.

Just looked it up, it happened earlier:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/democrats-cancel-central-texas-events-after-trump-supporters-surround-follow-biden-bus-on-i-35/

It was yesterday when Harris was in Texas.

mahagonny

I am afraid this will be a rough week or much longer. Trump has already got the ball rolling with his feverish 2 a.m. speech.

Just reading about the odyssey of Jeff Sessions. Wow. The vindictiveness. Hell has no fury like Donald Trump not supported 100%. Not that my heart bleeds much for old Jeff.