Kron3007

Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 09, 2020, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 12:28:57 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 09, 2020, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 11:30:36 AM
Quotelack of funding the public school

Evidence?

What? Lack of funding for public schools has clearly been shown to disproportionately effect the poor. African Americans are disproportionately poor relative to white Americans. What more evidence would you want to see?

Spending per pupil is quite high in heavily Black cities. Here are a few https://www.asumag.com/research/top-10s/article/21126924/among-largest-districts-who-spends-the-most-per-pupil

Perhaps at the city level, but you would need to go deeper to look at equity. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2019-02-26/white-students-get-more-k-12-funding-than-students-of-color-report

The article cites a report saying income is not a proxy for race. I'm so glad to hear it!

Yes, and yet minorities receive less funding per student on average.  I'm glad you are glad ;)

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 09, 2020, 01:35:23 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 09, 2020, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 12:28:57 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 09, 2020, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 11:30:36 AM
Quotelack of funding the public school

Evidence?

What? Lack of funding for public schools has clearly been shown to disproportionately effect the poor. African Americans are disproportionately poor relative to white Americans. What more evidence would you want to see?

Spending per pupil is quite high in heavily Black cities. Here are a few https://www.asumag.com/research/top-10s/article/21126924/among-largest-districts-who-spends-the-most-per-pupil

Perhaps at the city level, but you would need to go deeper to look at equity. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2019-02-26/white-students-get-more-k-12-funding-than-students-of-color-report

The article cites a report saying income is not a proxy for race. I'm so glad to hear it!

Yes, and yet minorities receive less funding per student on average.  I'm glad you are glad ;)

Try this one :https://edbuild.org/content/23-billion

mahagonny

Quote from: eigen on November 09, 2020, 01:01:44 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on November 09, 2020, 12:37:04 PM
QuoteAs for contingent labour etc., I agree that it is a problem and should be addressed.  Where I am they are part of a union and we dont use them too much.  However, I suspect that funding for education needs to be increased to make this happen everywhere.  Trying to fix it without more funding seems futile.     

Higher education is not 'underfunded.' That's the big lie that's repeated often enough to be believed. Saying it's underfunded is the subterfuge for getting the skilled labor done by people who are sealed off from jobs that enable advancement, status, equitable compensation, permanence. Higher ed is crowning achievement of a hypocritical political party.

I mean, it is underfunded because most schools cannot afford to give equitable compensation and security to all of their workers. Your point pretty much underscores the fact that higher ed is underfunded.

You actually believe this? Merriam Webster says "equitable -  having or exhibiting equity : dealing fairly and equally with all concerned."
Who or what is stopping higher education from doing this?

dismalist

QuoteTry this one :https://edbuild.org/content/23-billion

Now that's good. Shows what I think everyone is after:
QuotePoor-white school districts receive about $150 less per student than the national average—an injustice all to itself. Yet they are still receiving nearly $1,500 more than poor-nonwhite school districts.

Thus, an extra $1,650 would bring poor Black districts up to the national average. That's about 10% of Baltimore's spending per pupil. That's hardly worth discussing, especially since cost-of living differences aren't even being taken into account.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2020, 06:57:15 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on November 08, 2020, 05:20:17 PM

Once someone mistakenly thought I was Black. (Long story). It was a strange experience. The error was corrected and the reaction, change of vibe, etc was amazing.

I have never felt the same vibe with people who correctly assume I am white, for any reason.

So, while I can't say I have truly experienced racism, I can say that my brief experience of being Black was different than any other experience I have ever had, by a long shot.

Always I am mistaken for being Jewish, honestly. Short story. The experience is not strange if the error has to be corrected, for whatever reason.

I have never felt the same vibe with people who correctly assumed I am not Jewish, for any reason.

So, I cannot say I have experienced anti-semitism, but I can say that the experience of being seen as Jewish is no different from any other identification experience I've ever had, by a long shot.

Let us not conflate personal experiences with systemic racism. There was and is anti-semitism, but nowadays there is no systemic anti-semitism. [Well, exept at Harvard, as there was a long time ago, but it's probably OK because Asians are discriminated against as well. :-)]

Gimme a break.

I am Jewish. But not obviously so.

The change in vibe/energy when people learn I am, after thinking I am not, is pretty undetectable. So, in that way, our experiences are similar.

lightning

Quote from: financeguy on November 08, 2020, 11:20:18 AM
Whatever someone thinks about Harris, I and many others will never, no matter what, under any circumstance ever take her seriously on any issue after receiving a make work show up job for bedding Willie Brown in SF. Sorry, your "strong independent woman" card is permanently revoked when you start off with that strategy. Can't have it both ways.

High road? Screw that. (ha ha). Taking the high road vs. those taking the low road is a losing tactic.

It's more a matter of not going lower than the other side, and it's pretty obvious who is in the sewer. If this dirt is the best you can dig up to dis-credit Harris, then she's got nothing to worry about, when held up against the bottom of the barrel hypocrisy that has defined the last four years.

financeguy

It's not "dirt" when both sides agree it happened and state salaries are public information. You don't need to guess on this one. She got a position that paid about 70k a year to show up a couple days a month based on who she was sleeping with at the time. She also said she "believes" Biden's accuser during the primary which means she either a) is willing to work for someone who is guilty of this to further her career or b) did not actually mean it and made the statement for political expediency. Neither is a great option. Just another hack using the race and/or gender card when convenient.

Kron3007

Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 02:16:13 PM
QuoteTry this one :https://edbuild.org/content/23-billion

Now that's good. Shows what I think everyone is after:
QuotePoor-white school districts receive about $150 less per student than the national average—an injustice all to itself. Yet they are still receiving nearly $1,500 more than poor-nonwhite school districts.

Thus, an extra $1,650 would bring poor Black districts up to the national average. That's about 10% of Baltimore's spending per pupil. That's hardly worth discussing, especially since cost-of living differences aren't even being taken into account.

Hardly worth discussing?  Seems pretty significant to me.

If you look at a class with 20 students (which seems low), that is $33 000 less.  Given that the bulk of costs are fixed, this $33 000 comes out of the variable costs and represents a much larger percentage of this.  You can buy a lot of crayons for 33k...

nebo113

Quote from: financeguy on November 10, 2020, 12:47:12 AM
It's not "dirt" when both sides agree it happened and state salaries are public information. You don't need to guess on this one. She got a position that paid about 70k a year to show up a couple days a month based on who she was sleeping with at the time. She also said she "believes" Biden's accuser during the primary which means she either a) is willing to work for someone who is guilty of this to further her career or b) did not actually mean it and made the statement for political expediency. Neither is a great option. Just another hack using the race and/or gender card when convenient.

I look forward to the day when men will sleep their way to the top.....

writingprof

Quote from: nebo113 on November 10, 2020, 06:11:22 AM

I also look forward to it!

marshwiggle

Quote from: nebo113 on November 10, 2020, 06:11:22 AM

"Daphne: It's not like men have never used sex to get what they want.

Frasier: How can we possibly use sex to get what we want? Sex is what we want!"
It takes so little to be above average.

ciao_yall

Wow. Women have sex. And don't wear a giant scarlet "A" for the rest of their lives.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2020, 07:59:58 AM

Wow. Women have sex. And don't wear a giant scarlet "A" for the rest of their lives.

Does this apply to female school teachers who have been convicted of having sex with students (either male or female)?  Would it apply to a man who beat female applicants for a job by having sex with the interviewer/boss? Does the potential for personal advantage have no bearing on the appropriateness of sex? Is the answer the same for men and women?

(I haven't researched the Harris case. But in light of things like the Harvey Weinstein case, if it's wrong to ask for/demand sex as payment, is it perfectly OK to offer sex as payment? If only under certain circumstances, what are they?)

It takes so little to be above average.

ciao_yall

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 10, 2020, 08:10:30 AM

Does this apply to female school teachers who have been convicted of having sex with students (either male or female)?  Would it apply to a man who beat female applicants for a job by having sex with the interviewer/boss? Does the potential for personal advantage have no bearing on the appropriateness of sex? Is the answer the same for men and women?

(I haven't researched the Harris case. But in light of things like the Harvey Weinstein case, if it's wrong to ask for/demand sex as payment, is it perfectly OK to offer sex as payment? If only under certain circumstances, what are they?)

SMDH

eigen

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 10, 2020, 08:10:30 AM

Yes, comparing a consensual adult relationship is a great comparison to statutory rape. Totally the same thing.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...