2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: eigen on November 10, 2020, 09:37:49 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on November 10, 2020, 08:10:30 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2020, 07:59:58 AM
Quote from: financeguy on November 10, 2020, 12:47:12 AM
It's not "dirt" when both sides agree it happened and state salaries are public information. You don't need to guess on this one. She got a position that paid about 70k a year to show up a couple days a month based on who she was sleeping with at the time. She also said she "believes" Biden's accuser during the primary which means she either a) is willing to work for someone who is guilty of this to further her career or b) did not actually mean it and made the statement for political expediency. Neither is a great option. Just another hack using the race and/or gender card when convenient.

Wow. Women have sex. And don't wear a giant scarlet "A" for the rest of their lives.

Does this apply to female school teachers who have been convicted of having sex with students (either male or female)?  Would it apply to a man who beat female applicants for a job by having sex with the interviewer/boss? Does the potential for personal advantage have no bearing on the appropriateness of sex? Is the answer the same for men and women?

(I haven't researched the Harris case. But in light of things like the Harvey Weinstein case, if it's wrong to ask for/demand sex as payment, is it perfectly OK to offer sex as payment? If only under certain circumstances, what are they?)

Yes, comparing a consensual adult relationship is a great comparison to statutory rape. Totally the same thing.

Right, like an adult student and a prof. Absolutely no concerns there.

Were all of Harvey Weinstein's accusers minors at the time of their encounters?

What happened to all of the concerns people used to have about "power differentials"? As I indicated above, does it all just depend on who opens the negotiations?
It takes so little to be above average.

financeguy

I don't care if she or anyone else wanted to bed all of San Fran. What I care about is the doling out of a job based on this and then later in life presenting oneself as a role model chosen based on gender. In general we have too many idiot children and wives being given jobs based on their familial or romantic relationships. State agencies in general are employment agencies for the relatives of elected officials. I used to have a government contract for something and without fail every GS worker fell into this category.

Don't try to make my comment about prudish concerns about promiscuity. If you're doing the "strong successful woman" routine and being presented as a role model for the nation's women and girls, the fact that you got in via monetizing a sexual relationship is totally fair game just as much as critiquing the Bush dynasty, Hunter Biden, spousal hires or legacy admits.

marshwiggle

Quote from: financeguy on November 10, 2020, 11:00:37 AM

Don't try to make my comment about prudish concerns about promiscuity.

That's not my concern either. What interests me is that judgement of whether a relationship like this was OK or not seems to be made retroactively. If the woman doesn't regret it, it was fine. If she does, after apparently any length of time, (regardless of whether she did at the time), then it was harassment (or worse) and the man is guilty.

So having a time machine is the only way to determine whether it's OK to enter into a relationship of this sort. There are no rules which can be used by the temporally-restricted to make a decision.

It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 09, 2020, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 09, 2020, 01:35:23 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 09, 2020, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 12:28:57 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 09, 2020, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2020, 11:30:36 AM
Quotelack of funding the public school

Evidence?

What? Lack of funding for public schools has clearly been shown to disproportionately effect the poor. African Americans are disproportionately poor relative to white Americans. What more evidence would you want to see?

Spending per pupil is quite high in heavily Black cities. Here are a few https://www.asumag.com/research/top-10s/article/21126924/among-largest-districts-who-spends-the-most-per-pupil

Perhaps at the city level, but you would need to go deeper to look at equity. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2019-02-26/white-students-get-more-k-12-funding-than-students-of-color-report

The article cites a report saying income is not a proxy for race. I'm so glad to hear it!

Yes, and yet minorities receive less funding per student on average.  I'm glad you are glad ;)

Try this one :https://edbuild.org/content/23-billion

I have to bring this up again. It is so important to be careful with data provided by interest groups, for it's all self-serving.

In the case of edbuild apparently $60 billion of federal Title I funds are left out of the calculation.  These funds are largely directed toward poor and minority school districts. This is almost three times the measured gap.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: financeguy on November 10, 2020, 12:47:12 AM
It's not "dirt" when both sides agree it happened and state salaries are public information. You don't need to guess on this one. She got a position that paid about 70k a year to show up a couple days a month based on who she was sleeping with at the time. She also said she "believes" Biden's accuser during the primary which means she either a) is willing to work for someone who is guilty of this to further her career or b) did not actually mean it and made the statement for political expediency. Neither is a great option. Just another hack using the race and/or gender card when convenient.

Women will have parity in politics when one gets to be the next Spiro Agnew John Edwards, Bob Packwood et al.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/byron-yorks-daily-memo-the-election-lawsuit-trump-should-win

Not being trained in legal matters, I would think that this question should be settled for the future even if it doesn't result in Trump getting Pennsylvania. So it's really not crazy to pursue it. It's important.

ciao_yall

I don't care if she or anyone else wanted to bed all of San Fran. What I care about is the doling out of a job based on this and then later in life presenting oneself as a role model chosen based on gender. In general we have too many idiot children and wives being given jobs based on their familial or romantic relationships. State agencies in general are employment agencies for the relatives of elected officials. I used to have a government contract for something and without fail every GS worker fell into this category.

Don't try to make my comment about prudish concerns about promiscuity. If you're doing the "strong successful woman" routine and being presented as a role model for the nation's women and girls, the fact that you got in via monetizing a sexual relationship is totally fair game just as much as critiquing the Bush dynasty, Hunter Biden, spousal hires or legacy admits.

Oh please. Just because she boinked someone doesn't mean she didn't later do good work, get elected to higher office on her own, and root out and prosecute corruption.

writingprof

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2020, 05:07:56 PM

Oh please. Just because she boinked someone doesn't mean she didn't later do good work, get elected to higher office on her own, and root out and prosecute corruption.

This.  I dislike Harris and am happy to believe the worst about her, but it does not appear that she slept her way to the top.  Rather, she was on her way to the top anyway and slept with some folks on the journey, recreationally.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: writingprof on November 10, 2020, 05:17:18 PM

This.  I dislike Harris and am happy to believe the worst about her, but it does not appear that she slept her way to the top.  Rather, she was on her way to the top anyway and slept with some folks on the journey, recreationally.

Every once in a while, we mostly agree about something.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on November 10, 2020, 05:17:18 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2020, 05:07:56 PM

If she had the same lack of filter Donald Trump has, she might have said "I landed a job for $97,000 a year on the taxpayer's dime for doing almost nothing, for having an affair with Willie Brown. When you're 29, beautiful and went to the right schools and know the right people, you can do that.' And one could 'that's gross', but you couldn't say it isn't true.

mamselle

Selective contrarian obstreperousness gets boring after awhile.

Can we talk about the election?

Is anyone running book on when there'll be a concession speech?

I had to look up the Gore sequence of events to realize it was early December when he conceded the second time.

And then he disappeared for three months.

The next time I saw him was in a conference room with a beard and a mustache. That was a bit shocking.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mamselle on November 10, 2020, 06:46:31 PM

I had to look up the Gore sequence of events to realize it was early December when he conceded the second time.

The next time I saw him was in a conference room with a beard and a mustache. That was a bit shocking.

M.

Obviously there won't be one. Can you imagine Trump doing this?

Best case scenario: Eventually court cases will conclude, having given no lifeline to Trump's campaign, and Republicans will have to accept what they all already know and stop pretending that this election is still up in the air. Trump will complain and cry, but he'll also leave.

mahagonny

M.

You are obviously referring to me. Mademoiselle, I submit you can either use the 'ignore user' option with me as you have announced to the forum that you are doing, or you can complain about my posting, but you shouldn't be able to do both.

And I think I made or at least alluded to a valid point about Trump's infamous 'grab 'em by the pussy' line, that being that his reputation proceeded him and women who didn't steer clear of him would likely have known what to expect.

eigen

Quote from: mahagonny on November 10, 2020, 07:27:52 PM

M.

You are obviously referring to me. Mademoiselle, I submit you can either use the 'ignore user' option with me as you have announced to the forum that you are doing, or you can complain about my posting, but you shouldn't be able to do both.

And I think I made or at least alluded to a valid point about Trump's infamous 'grab 'em by the pussy' line, that being that his reputation proceeded him and women who didn't steer clear of him would likely have known what to expect.

You seem to keep conflating rape and sexual harassment (forced, unwanted sexual contact) with consensual recreational sex. It's not a good look for you or any quasi-logical reasoning you are intending to convey.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mamselle

QuoteSelective contrarian obstreperousness gets boring after awhile.

Actually, there's a quartet of you. Don't hog all the glory. It's not all, or only, or sometimes ever, about any one of you.

You're like a very rocky square-cornered spiral once you all get bumping along. Very predictable.

And--back to the election, yet again: Yes, I suspect this will be a fuzzier transition than most.

I think the most worrisome part is that funds may be held up without certain steps being taken (like partisan agency folks not signing off on the crossover accounts they're supposed to assign to the team), and information lost, withheld, or destroyed which may be needed to keep things turning over tickity-boo.

Or boob-ity-tick, if that's what's been turning over. Or how. Or whatever.

But the actual handing-off of functions, information, and so on needs to be facilitated, not obstructed.

And I'm starting to wonder at what point someone's going to need to sue for those things to prevent a stall-out in midair.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

There will be no concession speech or hints from Mitch McConnell about conceding as long as Elaine Chao is Secretary of Transportation.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.