News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Tax Man Cometh!

Started by hmaria1609, January 30, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bio-nonymous

Another year, another extension. Yawn...

Puget

Curious if anyone was able to participate in the new IRS direct file pilot? My state is participating, but my return is too complicated to qualify.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

secundem_artem

Both refunds already received.  Most years, I get a few thousand back from the federales, but owe $500-700 to the State.  Artem State must have made some changes in the tax code since I got a state refund.  Whooo hoooo!!!!!  Now mum can have that operation!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

RatGuy

It's my ex-wife's birthday so traditionally I celebrate 4/15 with booze and ice cream

ab_grp

We're waiting excitedly (/sarcasm) to see if our CPA filed an extension and intends to complete our taxes or if I'm going to have to do so.  They were a great little local business but got bought out last year by a national group, and we have had zero correspondence from them! For others who use a CPA (especially part of a firm), I would be interested to know if you get any kind of updates that they have received your files, they plan to prepare your tax returns, the returns are ready for review, or an extension is being filed, or...?

Langue_doc

Every year, I want to kiss the folks who came up with the tax software as I think it's the greatest invention known to man(woman/people)kind. I've been using H&R for several years now. Gone are the old days when I had to go to a physical H&R tax office to get my taxes done. I recall ex-spouse doing our taxes, so didn't have to do anything other than hand over my W-2 and other documents those years.

The IRS direct file works only if you don't have anything beyond the usual payroll-related income.

lightning

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 15, 2024, 08:39:57 AMEvery year, I want to kiss the folks who came up with the tax software as I think it's the greatest invention known to man(woman/people)kind. I've been using H&R for several years now. Gone are the old days when I had to go to a physical H&R tax office to get my taxes done. I recall ex-spouse doing our taxes, so didn't have to do anything other than hand over my W-2 and other documents those years.

The IRS direct file works only if you don't have anything beyond the usual payroll-related income.

Tax software is great if it works properly, and if Intuit stands behind the promise of service that TurboTax is supposed to deliver. I've had so many issues with TurboTax over the years, with some of the problems being major. It hasn't gotten to the point where I would do it manually with a calculator and paper, but it's trending in that direction. This year, I had to review and check TurboTax's work, because I don't trust it to be accurate anymore. Fortunately, I used to do taxes the old-fashioned-way, and I know what to check.

What I dislike the most about TurboTax, is that when TurboTax makes a mistake, Intuit customer service has either lied to me or they take no accountability (by conveniently blaming the IRS--of course the IRS blames TurboTax). Turbo Tax charges way too much money to make mistakes and to attempt to dodge accountability for their mistakes.

Maybe I'll try H&R Block next time, based on your experience, but I've also heard that H&R Block has the same issues as TurboTax.

Or maybe I'll see if I can file directly with the IRS, since TurboTax offers nothing of value. At least the IRS isn't going to charge me money to screw up my taxes.

Langue_doc

@lightning--I used Turbo Tax for a couple of years around ten or so years ago, but went back to H&R Block because of some problems with the former. I don't recall what these were, but have had no issues with the latter. My taxes are relatively uncomplicated, which helps with the filing and the refunds.

hmaria1609

Got folks who waited until the last minute to get their tax materials copied, printed, or both here at the library. Argh!

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on April 15, 2024, 07:49:05 AMWe're waiting excitedly (/sarcasm) to see if our CPA filed an extension and intends to complete our taxes or if I'm going to have to do so.  They were a great little local business but got bought out last year by a national group, and we have had zero correspondence from them! For others who use a CPA (especially part of a firm), I would be interested to know if you get any kind of updates that they have received your files, they plan to prepare your tax returns, the returns are ready for review, or an extension is being filed, or...?

Same thing happened to me.  Every year, worse service at a higher cost.  Last year they put me so far down their priority list I needed an extension - that never happened with the mom & pop firm I used to use.  Now, they just mail me a large envelope with a checklist, tell me "put your crap in here" and I drop it off at their office and hope they do something with it.

I downloaded Turbo Tax this year, did it myself for 1/3 the cost and basically the same outcome as the CPA firm used to get me with respect to return being accepted and refund/tax owing calculated.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Myword

I hate IRS and state taxes. Today is worst day of the year.
I suspect millionaires pay less than I do. Maybe billionaires

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 15, 2024, 12:36:00 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on April 15, 2024, 07:49:05 AMWe're waiting excitedly (/sarcasm) to see if our CPA filed an extension and intends to complete our taxes or if I'm going to have to do so.  They were a great little local business but got bought out last year by a national group, and we have had zero correspondence from them! For others who use a CPA (especially part of a firm), I would be interested to know if you get any kind of updates that they have received your files, they plan to prepare your tax returns, the returns are ready for review, or an extension is being filed, or...?

Same thing happened to me.  Every year, worse service at a higher cost.  Last year they put me so far down their priority list I needed an extension - that never happened with the mom & pop firm I used to use.  Now, they just mail me a large envelope with a checklist, tell me "put your crap in here" and I drop it off at their office and hope they do something with it.

I downloaded Turbo Tax this year, did it myself for 1/3 the cost and basically the same outcome as the CPA firm used to get me with respect to return being accepted and refund/tax owing calculated.

Ugh! I just deleted a whole long rant about how this whole process unfolded, but long story short she is filing an extension.  We are one of about 200 returns she still has to review.  I appreciate that she is being diligent! I do like her a lot! I wish she had not sold her practice to this group.  I guess there were some issues with how the new system imports info from the old system.  I am frustrated.  I usually do TurboTax myself in the background to check that things look reasonable and to give myself a heads up about what the outcome might be, so maybe I will just do that in the future now that our portfolio is a bit simpler.  I'm glad you were able to save money and annoyance!

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on April 15, 2024, 11:57:08 AMGot folks who waited until the last minute to get their tax materials copied, printed, or both here at the library. Argh!

We saw some of that too.  I was reminded of what some here at The Fora have said regarding a "due date" not being a "do date."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on April 15, 2024, 04:06:11 PM
Quote from: secundem_artem on April 15, 2024, 12:36:00 PM

Ugh! I just deleted a whole long rant about how this whole process unfolded, but long story short she is filing an extension.  We are one of about 200 returns she still has to review.  I appreciate that she is being diligent! I do like her a lot! I wish she had not sold her practice to this group.  I guess there were some issues with how the new system imports info from the old system.  I am frustrated.  I usually do TurboTax myself in the background to check that things look reasonable and to give myself a heads up about what the outcome might be, so maybe I will just do that in the future now that our portfolio is a bit simpler.  I'm glad you were able to save money and annoyance!

ab_grp, does your CPA not inform you in a timely manner about their inability to meet the deadline? Do you then have to pay the late filing penalty? Sounds rather disorganized as it wouldn't be too difficult to hire additional help during tax season. Also sounds a bit fraudulent if the assumption is that the taxes are going to be filed on time.

Parasaurolophus

Two weeks to go, and I still haven't heard back from the accountant in charge of my stuff. I had a look on the site, to make sure I didn't fuck up the email, and... looks like she isn't there any more. So that's weird.

I've now contacted my regular contact (I thought it was weird that I'd been assigned to someone else, but there you have it), and I imagine it'll get sorted. I guess that's what happens when the small firm you've used for decades gets bought up by a much, much bigger firm.
I know it's a genus.