News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dartmouth reinstates the SAT

Started by Langue_doc, February 05, 2024, 08:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: spork on February 20, 2024, 03:01:34 AMDartmouth's decision got attention only because Dartmouth is one of the Ivy League universities that U.S. media and economic elites are fixated on. MIT resumed requiring that applicants submit SAT scores two years ago, after a two-year pandemic-driven hiatus. MIT's decision didn't generate nearly as much media coverage.

Yes and no. MIT requires applicants to be able to add and subtract. Ivy League schools do not do so systematically.

I'm guessing that that distinction is what drove and drives media interest, which in turn reflects overwhelming parental interests. Buy my kid into a place. The MIT graduates I have known were by no means bought in!

Caltech is different in method. It has refused SAT scores until 2025, but an applicant can submit a research paper! There's no media outcry over this either.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Langue_doc

Yale too.

QuoteYale to Require Standardized Test Scores for Admissions
Officials said test-optional policies might have harmed students from lower-income families.

spork

Quote from: dismalist on February 20, 2024, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: spork on February 20, 2024, 03:01:34 AMDartmouth's decision got attention only because Dartmouth is one of the Ivy League universities that U.S. media and economic elites are fixated on. MIT resumed requiring that applicants submit SAT scores two years ago, after a two-year pandemic-driven hiatus. MIT's decision didn't generate nearly as much media coverage.

Yes and no. MIT requires applicants to be able to add and subtract. Ivy League schools do not do so systematically.

I'm guessing that that distinction is what drove and drives media interest, which in turn reflects overwhelming parental interests. Buy my kid into a place. The MIT graduates I have known were by no means bought in!

Caltech is different in method. It has refused SAT scores until 2025, but an applicant can submit a research paper! There's no media outcry over this either.

Luckily MIT didn't run itself as a pay to play scheme. As a first-generation college student, I didn't have the money it would have taken to get in. This is one reason I didn't have any interest in applying to Harvard.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Langue_doc

QuoteBrown University will reinstate standardized testing requirements for admission, joining Yale, Dartmouth and M.I.T. in backtracking on "test optional" policies adopted during the Covid pandemic.
Brown's decision, announced on Tuesday, will require either SAT or ACT scores and will be in effect in the upcoming admissions cycle.

Langue_doc

QuoteU. of Texas at Austin Will Return to Standardized Test Requirement
The university said SAT and ACT scores help it place students in programs that fit them best.

Langue_doc

Harvard and Caltech join the fray!
QuoteHarvard and Caltech Will Require Test Scores for Admission
The universities are the latest highly selective schools to end their policies that made submitting SAT or ACT scores optional.