News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Senate Bill

Started by jimbogumbo, May 08, 2024, 10:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeoflife

This article should be viewed as paid advertisement or the ACLU director who wrote it never practiced tax law or administrative law a day in his life. A non profit designation is an administrative action and there is nothing wrong with the agency giving it having the ability to investigate. This is what is meant by executive power.

jimbogumbo

I assumed they meant (rightly, in my opinion) it would be problematic for a political appointee to do this merely because someone complains. For example, University of Florida loses non-profit status because random Dem congressperson complains to WH.

treeoflife

Quote from: jimbogumbo on Today at 01:46:49 PMI assumed they meant (rightly, in my opinion) it would be problematic for a political appointee to do this merely because someone complains. For example, University of Florida loses non-profit status because random Dem congressperson complains to WH.

There are relevant measures within the framework of administrative law to deal with misuse of executive power. Non for profit status is given by administrative action and should be taken also. The idea that the IRS will need to go to court to strip 501(c)(3) status is ludicrous. I guess the ACLU director wants the IRS to spend more time and money to strip the status from those who abuse it.