News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

I've been working more on the crossword so far this morning so am not at genius yet (almost) but do have the pangram.  The one I was missing was pentimento as well, and I thought maybe it had been in there before? I did finally guess it with a lot of help from Shunn.  But I had a bunch that I was missing on my own.  We almost had team QB, other than the missing pangram and onetime.

For LB, I got melodic-cutdowns.  Congrats on your solutions, cathwen (and another today!) and ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

121 points so far. Missed tempi, onetime, and a couple more words.

sluiced/downtime

Crosswords were done last night. It's cleaning day, so no more puzzling, I suspect.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

It's an easy one today--QB already.

Missed biotic and boho.

Happy solving!

ETA Just found a two-fer.

ciao_yall

QBw2LL and a wild guess at echoic.

LB sprawl-lazybones, lazybones-sprawl.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM yesterday and again today!  Yesterday my last word was boohoo.  I got echoic by accident; I would have never tried it otherwise.

LB:  I also had lazybones-sprawl and sprawl-lazybones.  I have a 2fer today also. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, congrats on your QBs, Langue_doc and cathwen (and yesterday)!  I got the pangram and to genius but am now stuck and am hoping some time away will help.  I also tried echoic kind of randomly, thankfully.  We had team QB, but I had a friend call that took up a lot of the afternoon, so I didn't get as far on the bee as I would have liked (but the call was very enjoyable!).  I kept seeing bioethic yesterday.

Congrats on the 2fers, ciao_yall and cathwen! Solutions that make sense.  I had no luck but do have some promising contenders today.  Congrats on already getting one, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! I had a long contender list that kept getting longer and decided to go back through sets of remaining letters to see if I could make a mate.  Tried a word, and it worked.  Still 5 words to go on the bee.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Another easy bee today, just got to QB.

Last word yesterday was friary. Didn't think that fratty was a word, but tried it all the same.

lexicon/negativity; I prefer my solution to the official one.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM yesterday, last word friary.  Today I'm at QB-2. Congratulations on QB already, Langue_doc!

LB:  I prefer both the official solution and Langue_doc's solution.  Mine consisted of two words that I consider iffy:  oxygenic-covenantal.  I have a 2fer today with normal words.

It's been a noisy morning.  Our old, non-functioning HVAC unit is being replaced, a 2-day process.  It began with the workmen showing up at 7:30 am (a half-hour early) and running a noisy machine for about 20 minutes.  (They're doing quieter work now.)  I'll be glad when the new unit is up and running. 

Anyway—happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Ain't no such thing as an "iffy" word, as long as it shows up in a dictionary.

Stay cool, cathwen, hope your daytime temperature today is far below ours.

ciao_yall

QBABM! Wild guesses at fratty, affray. LB galactic-convexly. Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far but haven't done much else.  Congrats on another QB today, Langue_doc! Good luck on your final 2 words, cathwen! Yesterday we had team QB, each missing similar words. I was missing friary, itty, and he was missing fratty, iffy.  Congrats on your QB, ciao_yall!

Lots of 2fers, and I had so many components of each of them! Ugh.  I got anoxic-cognitively, finally.  Congrats! And congrats on another today, cathwen! I think if "iffy" can be in the bee then iffy solutions should be acceptable.  Ha!

Cathwen, good luck with your HVAC! It is such a process.  I hope it all goes smoothly.

I may have a lot of time for puzzles today.  We shall see!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Yay! Made it to QBABM! I am struggling on LB, though.  Not many contenders so far.