News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

TIME to ADJUST (Daylight Saving Time)

Started by clean, March 06, 2020, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

At some point's I've just gotten up 10 min. earlier each day the week before, or for two days at a time for two weeks before.

I meant to mention that as a helpful approach earlier, but forgot.

Maybe I fell asleep earlier the night I meant to do so...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

The US Senate approved by voice vote a bill to have year-round daylight saving time.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

The House is thimking about it.

Some reasons given are good, but downplayed in the article. There are only a few extra dead in car crashes on account of daylight saving time. What's a life worth?
Others are trivial: "The change would help enable children to play outdoors later and reduce seasonal depression, according to supporters." If it's that important, why wasn't it done in 1919?

Alas, in spite of the rhetoric, I will enjoy the last change or non-change.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

Let the corporations trade time, air and water.

The market will solve any problems. Down with big government.

:)
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: downer on March 15, 2022, 05:03:43 PM
Let the corporations trade time, air and water.

The market will solve any problems. Down with big government.

:)

Absolutely! The market would reward those with riches who coordinate on the same time. The problem is which time.

Ages ago, none other  than Milton Friedman explained his propagation of flexible exchange rates, then anathema,  between currencies  as having all the advantages of Daylight Saving Time!

Already when I first read that, as a yute [My Cousin Vinny], I thought, hell, Prof. Friedman, you're going too far.

If it were up to me, we could each determine our own time! :-)

That's not too stupid. On another thread I described how Italians don't really coordinate on any time, unless they want to.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

hmaria1609

*Thread bump*
It's a change of the clock this weekend! Falling back an hour.

dismalist

Ah, falling back to normalcy. Been waiting for this since March. I get my hour back, but the buggers don't pay interest.

Happy End-of-Daylight-Saving-Time!

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

DST and clock changes seem to have outlived their usefulness.  I vote for DST all year round.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 04, 2022, 10:12:00 PM
DST and clock changes seem to have outlived their usefulness.  I vote for DST all year round.

Same. I'm tired of 'losing' an hour in the spring.

Langue_doc

I've been looking forward to the extra sleep-in hour, but am not too sure about the early sunsets.

Harlow2

My after-work walking group will now have a limited number of places that are reasonably safe (street crossings at night here are really dangerous, though one member bought a school crossing guard safety vest on Amazon.). Plus driving home in the dark is just sad.

clean

Im giving a test on Monday.  Hopefully, the added hour will be used wisely  (to sleep), but I suspect that as the extra hour occurs tonight, it wont change any of their cramming habits!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Saturday I got back from a week-long vacation.  Though I hadn't been putting in late nights, I did do an awful lot of walking, hiking, and driving, and had to get up early on Sunday.  It was a perfect time to gain an additional hour overnight!  It was also good to get up for my morning walk and it not be before dawn.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

hmaria1609

Change of the clock this weekend! Going forward an hour.

dismalist

Mercy, why must I be reminded? No problem is so big that it can't be run away from.

Daylight Saving Time may never end from this year. That's not the optimum but it would be an improvement.

If not, DST ends November 5 this year. Am counting the days.

The last time DST was extended the reason given was so the kiddies could go trick-or-treating in the light. My alternative would have been to move Halloween into July. Plenty of light then, with or without DST.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli