News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Office365 vs Google Apps

Started by downer, May 31, 2019, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I asked this on the technology thread but no responses, so I'm trying again with a thread of its own.

I'm increasingly pushed to use Office OneDrive because that's where some school docs get stored, and then opening them often takes me to Office365. Similarly with docs in email which is now in Outlook.

I also increasingly use Google Docs/Sheets and others in their suite to create documents -- attendance lists, short memos, drafts of longer pieces I want to write.

I find the Google Docs software easier to use than Office365 version of Word. Using a full word processor is better than both, but I find sometimes it is a lot simpler just to use one of the online approaches and open a doc through an app or on a webpage.  But sometimes I have to think hard about where I've stored a doc -- in Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, maybe just in an email, or occasionally on some hard drive. It's getting confusing.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Kron3007

I use Office OneDrive and google apps as well.  I would probably use google more, or even exclusively, but our university e-mail etc uses OneDrive, so it is often more convenient for many things.  I find shared word files to be problematic compared to google docs.  Perhaps it is just me, but even after I give people access, they often have trouble editing files.  Google is much easier I find.

spork

My employer's IT unit has pushed Office 365 and OneDrive as a "solution" for A to Z. I used OneDrive once to test how to upload and edit a document. I didn't like it. Word 365 isn't as functional as desktop Word. And email lacks basic features I use in desktop Outlook. I find Google products more functional and intuitive. When I assign collaborative tasks to students, they invariably use Google Docs or Slides. This past semester during classroom presentations, I noticed one team had a slideshow stored on one student's OneDrive account. That was a first.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

eigen

My school is all in with google suite (email, docs, drive) so I'm moving to using that. I don't hate it, but I don't love it yet either.

I work offline a lot, and that's challenging with google docs.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

polly_mer

I dislike most of the tools for sharing that I've tried.  The Mac/Windows/Linux divide has gotten smaller over the years, but the shared documents stored remotely have problems.

My best results recently have been checking out from a shared GitHub repo, using a full-fledged tool that resides on someone's desktop, and checking back in instead of messing with the online, fewer functions and possibly editing at the same time confusion.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

pink_

I prefer O365 because Word offers more functionality than Google Docs. I can use both for free through my institution. GDocs makes collaboration easier, but it lacks a lot of the refinements of Word. It also lacks a Grammar check. I don't need the Grammar reinforcements, but it's usually very clear which of my students uses Word and which go for Docs. They also have access to 365, but they usually don't know about it so default to Google.

downer

Logging on to Google Docs today, I got a message that it now checks for spelling and grammar.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis