Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 10, 2022, 07:40:49 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on May 10, 2022, 07:37:03 PM
E_P_W, do you make the egg rolls? If so, please share what works for you! I love them and can't really get any good ones here, and now we won't be ordering food for a while.   Also, we are exploring if ramen would work for us all to eat, because youngster has a bunch of things to celebrate this month and loves ramen.  Hopefully in a couple weeks we can give it a try from the local restaurant, but if you have a recipe you use, please share if you can.  A couple years ago, youngest found a ramen recipe on tiktok or some such that also required homemade noodles (which was the worst part and led to us eating really late).  It didn't taste bad, but I wouldn't necessarily go back to that again.  Finding a recipe we can make, which we know the ingredients for, would be great.

We are doing a crustless cheddar quiche from one of the American Heart Assn cookbooks.  Everyone can eat it and likes to eat it, so that is all I ask of a meal these days.  This is a dish we have previously had youngest make and had planned on that, but strep throat recovery is in progress.  I think we are having previously air-fried brussels with it.

We cheated and used frozen egg rolls. I've read a few blogs about making egg roll 'bowls' without the fried outer coating- just the innards. Though, I suppose if you use an air fryer that will drop the calorie count. I've thought about getting one. Maybe I should?

You can also make spring rolls with the rice wrappers-- not the same crunchy fried-ness, but very good and very easy. You just briefly soak the wrappers in water to soften (not too long or they dissolve to mush!) and wrap anything you please. I make these a lot in the summer with whatever combo of veggies and herbs is currently in season (raw or stir-fried, e.g., greens, snow peas, cucumber, cilantro, Thai basil, mint, fresh hot pepper slivers), and pan fried tofu (non-veg folks could of course use chicken or whatever). I make a spicy peanut sauce to dip them in.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ab_grp

I found find a recipe for air fryer egg rolls that I wanted to try but am thinking it might be difficult to get the wrappers here.  We don't have an air fryer per se.  I bought an air fryer lid (Mealthy brand) that fits on my instant pot.  We love it and use it all the time--- a lot more often than we use the actual instant pot!  Here's the recipe I came across that we haven't tried yet: https://www.sustainablecooks.com/lazy-ladys-guide-to-homemade-egg-rolls/ I like that spring rolls are healthier, and those sound really good and fairly easy, Puget!

darkstarrynight

I air fried artichokes last night (from a can) and they were amazingly delicious to add to a salad!

OneMoreYear

I'm not motivated enough to find the drinking thread, and I guess technically, this was my "dessert." I took a needed break away from grading to try a new brewery with my SO. Had an excellent Belgian Dubbel and some darn good Korean fried cauliflower "wings." Now, back to the grading binge. 

ergative

Strawberry peach pie. Chilling in the fridge now.

AmLitHist

Quote from: ergative on June 26, 2022, 12:37:33 PM
Strawberry peach pie. Chilling in the fridge now.

Ooh, that sounds good!  I just bought some of both today.

Here, it's store-made pizzas, cheesy garlic bread, and fresh blackberries with cream for dessert.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We're going off the dairy deep end...

Beverage(s): Iced ginger mint sweet tea (not 'Southern' sweet) and probably water.

Main: Homemade from scratch- mac & cheese.

Sides: Some kind of green vegetable.

Dessert: Chocolate pudding.

Stockmann

Yesterday lunch was salmorejo - peeled tomatoes, olive oil, old bread, garlic blended together, garnished with serrano ham.

sinenomine

My farm share provided eggplant this week, so I just enjoyed eggplant parmigiana and a glass of wine on the back porch. Chocolate chip and salted caramel cookies are in the near future.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Stockmann on July 06, 2022, 10:38:41 AM
Yesterday lunch was salmorejo - peeled tomatoes, olive oil, old bread, garlic blended together, garnished with serrano ham.

Damn. That sounds good!

Stockmann

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 06, 2022, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: Stockmann on July 06, 2022, 10:38:41 AM

Damn. That sounds good!

Thanks, yes, it's a very nice dish.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Tonight, we had:

Beverage: Gatorade (me), water (SO)

Main: Veggie burgers (faux chicken patties) with lettuce, mayo and buffalo sauce.

Sides: leftover mac & cheese (me), chips (SO), watermelon (me), pineapple (me).

Dessert: chocolate pudding

secundem_artem

Beer Can Chicken. 

For the last 10 minutes, I brushed it with a sauce made from Gochujang, Soy Sauce, Dehydrated Onions, Minced Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Honey, and Toasted Sesame Oil.

Some squash, peppers and mushrooms on a skewer on the side.

And a can of Budweiser (I enjoy a fine macro-brew) to wash it all down with.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

That sounds wonderful, secundem_artem! I haven't had beer can chicken in years and never with such a yummy sauce.

mamselle

?? Please enlighten the rest of us (or maybe just me....)

Since I don't drink beer I wouldn't have any cans lying around to stuff chicken parts into--which is what it sounds like

Reminds me of the kinds of cooking one does with kids on a camping trip...you know, potatoes in jackets and that kind of thing....

But I'm guessing it's not.

So...??

M.

P.S. Me, I'm having spinach salads these days: cool, lots of different toppings, a honey-mustard drizzle dressing I make myself, and maybe one Lindt dark chocolate truffle for dessert (can you tell I'm trying to regulate my diet??) or I made some cornbread + apriocot jam filling journeycake (1/2 slice allowed at dinner) last week...that was also good: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and honey added to the usual cornbread recipe, plus a middle layer of fruit jam, or sometimes real fruits).
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.