Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

"This food is terrible!"

"Yes, and the portions are so small!"
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

polly_mer

We have many discussions going related to academic jobs and personal lives. 

We have serious discussions related to national events and state of higher ed.

We have fun and games.

Have you checked out Only Really Exciting Posts?  Drunk any refreshing summer beverages?  What does fuel cost in your neighborhood?

Join us in productive or human interest discussion!

hungry_ghost

Quote from: scamp on July 31, 2019, 12:03:13 PM
Quote from: namazu on July 30, 2019, 04:57:24 PM
Quote from: scamp on July 30, 2019, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on July 26, 2019, 07:39:35 AM
I think I'm going to puffy-heart-with-glitter-and-sprinkles this "ignore" feature.
Where do I find this?!
Instructions on the "Technical FAQ" thread.

Amazing!

Indeed. I was uncertain about whether I'd hang around, but maybe I will after all!

archaeo42

It sounds like you don't think those things are worthwhile.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

polly_mer

Since we have so many new folks as fall gets into full swing, it's time for another conspicuous posting of the rules.

Quote from: eigen on May 16, 2019, 02:16:03 PM
1. Don't personally attack or harass other users. You know what crosses this line, don't do it.
2. Do not feed the trolls. Let them carry on with little fanfare.
3. Don't carry baggage from one thread to another. Sure, you may have a disagreement with another user in a different thread, but carrying that on into each new thread either of you start is not productive.
4. Don't be a vigilante. If someone is doing something wrong, report them and move on.
5. No spam. You know what this is.
6. No advertising. Whether it's your newest paper, newest book, a new EduTech website or something else- the place to advertise it is not here.
7. Do not "out" other users. Do not threaten to "out" other users.
8. Use standard spelling, punctuation and paragraphs on your posts.

By current practice, "outing" other users includes publicly speculating about possible monikers on the CHE (old) fora for non-matching monikers here.  People who kept their old monikers are assumed to be continuing; others are doing a reboot or possibly just sound very similar as new people.

aside

OP, there's only one person's behavior you can control.  Wait . . . that might be an overestimate.

ergative

Wow--you didn't even pretend that your comment was related to the thread's topic.

mamselle

If that was I, apologies if it appeared that way.

It did in fact tie to the last paragraph of the previous post.

And I offered a short/long version option...and to create another thread.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

polly_mer

Mr. Mer points out that addressing the cover letter as "Dear Future Colleagues Who Were Too Slow to Get Out of Serving on the Search Committee" is a bad idea.

polly_mer

Accreditors and the Department of Education administering the Title IV money often care about courses that have too few meetings and are not within the required range for whole-class interactions.  Thus, administrators often care about faculty members cancelling too many classes, especially faculty members who are relatively easy to fire/non-renew and then replace with someone else who will follow all the rules about number of meetings.

It was really "fun" to deal with the Dept of Ed investigation after a routine audit turned up discrepancies between how much classes were supposed to meet and how much some of those classes really were meeting.  That "fun" tends to roll downhill to the people who didn't follow the rules.

FishProf

I'd like to think the number of strawmen (strawpersons?) showing up hear just reflects the season.

Alas, I know better.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.