News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Thanks.  I think I have my answer.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 14, 2023, 12:00:37 PM
Quote from: FishProf on March 14, 2023, 11:50:40 AM
In repeated posts, in response to someone identifying a problem that involves individuals suffering or struggling, your typical response seems to be "that's just how economics works.  It's not a problem because it is doing what it is supposed to do". (That's obviously a paraphrase)  There seems to be a disconnect between the theory and the empathy for how the individual is affected. 

Maybe that's just built-in to the field.  I can't tell.

In my own field, when I talk about mate choice and who mates and who doesn't, I don't worry about the sad fish who goes without.  Is it just not part of the field?

Presumably that would be for the fish psychologists to consider.

And, unfortunately, that field is so underfunded that it produces very little published research.  Which is why sad fish keep turning to pop newspaper and radio (and now online) columns whose advice often just makes things worse.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

dismalist

Quote from: apl68 on March 14, 2023, 02:11:03 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on March 14, 2023, 12:00:37 PM
Quote from: FishProf on March 14, 2023, 11:50:40 AM
In repeated posts, in response to someone identifying a problem that involves individuals suffering or struggling, your typical response seems to be "that's just how economics works.  It's not a problem because it is doing what it is supposed to do". (That's obviously a paraphrase)  There seems to be a disconnect between the theory and the empathy for how the individual is affected. 

Maybe that's just built-in to the field.  I can't tell.

In my own field, when I talk about mate choice and who mates and who doesn't, I don't worry about the sad fish who goes without.  Is it just not part of the field?

Presumably that would be for the fish psychologists to consider.

And, unfortunately, that field is so underfunded that it produces very little published research.  Which is why sad fish keep turning to pop newspaper and radio (and now online) columns whose advice often just makes things worse.

What does "underfunded" mean aside from saying I want more, or I deserve more, or you pay him more to make stuff I like? Hell, I'm underfunded. That's far more important!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

In this case, it means someone doesn't get sarcasm.

Parasaurolophus

When I put myself in the shoes of a twelfth-century Muslim, I can clearly see why I might decide to fight against the hordes of literally unwashed barbarians who decided to drop in on my four hundred year-old regional conflict with these other Christians whom they don't even like, and whom they would almost immediately betray anyway.

Similarly, when I put myself in the shoes of an 18 year-old turn-of-the-century American who buys into the administration's transparent propaganda, I can clearly see why I might enlist to kill the Iraqi scum who want to give Osama bin Laden their nuclear weapons. I'd still be wrong, though. And Halliburton would still turn record profits.
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

I get your Ayn Rand view of the market. I just think the depths of irony and stupidity are worth mocking, and in this case, the hypocrisy.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 25, 2023, 11:48:14 AM
I get your Ayn Rand view of the market. I just think the depths of irony and stupidity are worth mocking, and in this case, the hypocrisy.

I'm sure Ayn Rand had nothing at all to say about the functioning of markets and competition. In many ways, to me she is a caricature. One can certainly mock what one doesn't agree with.

Competition is a discovery procedure. Let it happen to find the better.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on March 25, 2023, 12:01:06 PM

I'm sure Ayn Rand had nothing at all to say about the functioning of markets and competition. In many ways, to me she is a caricature. One can certainly mock what one doesn't agree with.

Yeah, i used her as she is a caricature. btw, I didn't mean you were a hypocrite, rather the people who market the school. I also believe the complaining parents are idiots, and the people who run the school are cowards. YMMV.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 25, 2023, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: dismalist on March 25, 2023, 12:01:06 PM

Yeah, i used her as she is a caricature. btw, I didn't mean you were a hypocrite, rather the people who market the school. I also believe the complaining parents are idiots, and the people who run the school are cowards. YMMV.

So, you disagree with them. Maybe I do, too. That doesn't make them idiots. Competition will take care of the rest of it.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Would you accept uninformed consumers?

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 25, 2023, 02:57:41 PM

Information about what one consumes is cheap. Eat a lot and you get fat. One sees it. We been doing this for about 250,000 years, give or take a month.

We are not yet at the stage where diet is prescribed to everybody.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on March 25, 2023, 03:03:12 PM

Information about what one consumes is cheap. Eat a lot and you get fat. One sees it. We been doing this for about 250,000 years, give or take a month.

Criminy! They chose the school; they aren't everyone.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 25, 2023, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: dismalist on March 25, 2023, 03:03:12 PM

Criminy! They chose the school; they aren't everyone.

Let them chose, not you or me.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

My thanks again for the excellent examples for my lecture on logical fallacies.  Hasty generalization?  Check.

Anselm

I hastily read denoms as demons.  I need to take a break from the internet.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.