News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Posted in the What's your Weather thread that we are in the 20s here and that the first day of classes has gone online for the day.   

My garden was not really used last summer, but I hope to get something started soon.  This 2 day hard freeze will hopefully give me more of an incentive to work on it this spring, as there should not be much of anything left in it!  (it has some grass/weed that I would love to burn, but the smoke would probably not impress my neighbors! 

I had an eggplant plant that has survived 2 years (and produced only 1 eggplant I could eat!).  Yesterday I looked out the window to see all the leaves curled and the dozen blossoms long gone!   I dont think that it is going to survive 2 long periods in the 20s! 

What about your garden?  Giving thought to what you will plant this year?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

Not MY garden, but my dad's winter vegetables was decimated by pigs or deer.  (We visited over Christmas).   They live in the country in Florida and had planted beans, collard greens and cabbage. He was sick so I went out to do something for him and inspected the garden and noticed all of the tracks.  He mentioned the collards in particular and i siad I didnt see what he was mentioning.  I went out and took pictures of the garden and the tracks.

When I talked to him yesterday, it had been raining too much to do any work in the garden, but he was still disappointed feeding the critters, so not sure if he will do a lot of gardening before spring.

Puget

The seed catalogs have begun arriving -- they know just when to hit us with those alluring summer vegetable pictures and descriptions when we are at our post-holiday winter lowest. I will start my earliest seedlings (tomatoes and peppers) indoors in mid-March.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

What seed catalogs are people getting?

I have Baker Creek on my kitchen table.

clean

Gurney's was one I was getting (or the one my relatives seemed to get, which I would thumb through when I visited).

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 16, 2024, 04:31:37 PMWhat seed catalogs are people getting?

I have Baker Creek on my kitchen table.

Like Clean, I get Gurney's. I love how old-fashioned it is, with the breathless descriptions of each plant. In addition to seeds, I've had good luck with their live plants (various fruit tree starts, etc.)- they ship them at the appropriate time for planting in your climate zone and guarantee them for a year. They also have very good coupons this time of year.

I also get Territorial Seed Company catalogs, and sometimes order from them as well.

For non-plant garden stuff, I like Gardener's Supply Company.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

clean

Went to Lowes to look at dishwashers and saw a lot of veggies ready for planting!!  IF ONLY my garden were ready to take them in!
Plenty of work to be done.  Maybe spring bring will bring an opportunity.

Puget

First seeds went into pots inside on a heat mat -- tomatoes (4 kinds), peppers (sweet & hot) and eggplant (an experiment - usually I buy starts.

I've decided to get two more 2x4 raised planter beds and an arch to go between them, and put them across the top of my driveway. Not only to give me a bit more sunny planting area, but to turn that area of the driveway into an extra patio area where I can put the patio table and hammock. (Not having a car opens up creative uses of the driveway, and there is still room for visitors to park lower down).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on March 04, 2024, 05:26:29 PMFirst seeds went into pots inside on a heat mat -- tomatoes (4 kinds), peppers (sweet & hot) and eggplant (an experiment - usually I buy starts.

I've decided to get two more 2x4 raised planter beds and an arch to go between them, and put them across the top of my driveway. Not only to give me a bit more sunny planting area, but to turn that area of the driveway into an extra patio area where I can put the patio table and hammock. (Not having a car opens up creative uses of the driveway, and there is still room for visitors to park lower down).

This is exciting! I need to get quite a few things started. Right now, we have some kale, bok choy and collards. Unfortunately, they are covered in aphids!

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 05, 2024, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: Puget on March 04, 2024, 05:26:29 PMFirst seeds went into pots inside on a heat mat -- tomatoes (4 kinds), peppers (sweet & hot) and eggplant (an experiment - usually I buy starts.

This is exciting! I need to get quite a few things started. Right now, we have some kale, bok choy and collards. Unfortunately, they are covered in aphids!

You may already know this, but if not: Look for a spray called Safer Insect Killing Soap. It's organic and harmless for people, animals and the environment, but will do your aphids (and other soft-bodied insects) in.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on March 05, 2024, 07:25:02 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 05, 2024, 02:35:36 PM

You may already know this, but if not: Look for a spray called Safer Insect Killing Soap. It's organic and harmless for people, animals and the environment, but will do your aphids (and other soft-bodied insects) in.

I haven't used that brand, but I may try it. I've been so insanely busy that I have neglected my plants. :(

AmLitHist

The chickweed and creeping charlie are doing very well.

Parasaurolophus

Landlords are repossessing the back garden, so I'll have to rig up some planters and start over.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Finally beginning to feel like spring! Bulbs are coming up, and there are buds on the earlier leafing bushes and trees.

Most of my tomato seeds have sprouted (in the enclosed porch on a heat mat) in the last few days, no peppers or eggplants up yet.

I'm proceeding with my plan to wall off the top of the driveway with raised planter beds with an arch between them, and turn it into an extra patio area. Going to assemble the planters today, even though it will be quite awhile before I can plant them yet.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 09, 2024, 02:51:42 PMLandlords are repossessing the back garden, so I'll have to rig up some planters and start over.
Sorry to hear that! Hope you get some good planters going.

Parasaurolophus

Rescued the lavender, chive, and some kale. Also transplanted a couple new raspberry canes. Hope it all survives.

Now to source some box planters and start over.

I'm gonna try to sprout a tamarind, also.
I know it's a genus.