Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Harlow2 on August 24, 2022, 06:17:22 PM
Made 4 jars of tomato soup.  Yum.

Nice. I still have tomatoes frozen from last year's harvest. Guess I need to do something with them soon.

clean

Another Cantaloupe 'bit the dust' (well something bit it) but this time it didnt carry it off, but snacked just a few feet from where it was ripening!   

The trap comes out tonight! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on August 28, 2022, 03:30:45 PM
Another Cantaloupe 'bit the dust' (well something bit it) but this time it didnt carry it off, but snacked just a few feet from where it was ripening!   

The trap comes out tonight!

Let us know what you catch! Opossum? Armadillo? Racoon? Your neighbor?

mamselle

Squirrels eat a lot of the pears on the neighbor's pear tree.

Or parts of them.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Anyone starting to itch for garden work yet?
Have you eaten your prior year's canned/frozen surplus?

Any thoughts on what you would like to do this year?

Im thinking of adding a raised bed.  I am considering one just for pollinators .  I seldom saw honey bees.  I did see other bees that Okra attracted. 

I hope to get this year's garden started a bit earlier so that I may be able to get some tomatoes before the heat makes that impractical.

Your garden dreams?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Juvenal

Slinking to the mailbox in my robe today (NYC Metro area) in the near-sixty weather, little after a week since record lows, I saw the first snowdrop of the year, barely up, but up it was.
Cranky septuagenarian

lightning

I'm more of a lawn person than a garden person, although I do have a garden. I obsess more about my lawn being perfect, but I allow my garden to be kind of "wild."

For those of you that live in regions that have real winters, how early in the year do you fertilize/over seed your lawns?

Puget

Quote from: clean on February 10, 2023, 09:49:33 AM
Anyone starting to itch for garden work yet?

It's the season for pouring over catalogs and dreaming. Here, I won't start the first seeds (in the mudroom, with a light and heat mat) for another month yet (I have a spreadsheet of all the starting times). But soon I should do an inventory of seeds and figure out what I need to order more of, and what new I might want to try. At a few dollars a packet, new seed varieties are my version of buying a lottery ticket.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Thursday's_Child

It's either about time to plant peas and other cool-season crops - or maybe it's far too late.  Spring has been so shortened by climate change that it's a gamble every year now.

I've been working on getting pruning and compost under control, but am itching to start in on the garden proper after the current rains quit.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Anyone planting anything?

We have fava beans, several varieties of pea, carrot, various herbs and early potatoes growing.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 29, 2023, 02:41:03 PM

We have fava beans, several varieties of pea, carrot, various herbs and early potatoes growing.

I have a spreadsheet of when to plant each thing. I planted tomato and pepper seeds inside last weekend-- they are on a seed sprouting heat mat and hopefully will germinate in another week or so. Planning plant cool-weather seeds outside this weekend-- peas and some greens. The rest of the start-inside seeds will go into pots around April 15th. Everything frost-sensitive can go outside around May 15th, forecast dependent.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Cleared out one of my beds and discovered bonus potatoes. Gonna plant my kale (from last year's seeds) tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Kron3007

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 29, 2023, 04:51:52 PM

Cleared out one of my beds and discovered bonus potatoes. Gonna plant my kale (from last year's seeds) tomorrow.

Nice,. We found bonus carrots!

I have all my seeds started up in my shop.  Planted some raspberries last weekend (my parents were clearing out an area).  Otherwise, mostly just waiting.

hmaria1609

On librarything.com, gardening is the theme of the month. Members can add their favorite gardening book titles to the list.

the_geneticist

We are harvesting sugar-snap peas, beets, and collards already. 
The carrots and leeks are being a bit slow to get going, but finally getting bigger.
Went to the garden shop and got tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, and eggplant seedlings too.
Trying some beans from seeds from an online heirloom seed supplier too.  They all germinated!  We'll see if they make seeds before the heat and/or aphids take them down. 
And I have some volunteer cucurbits - I *think* it's the pumpkin from the compost since the leaves are huge.  Or it could be melons.