News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning! QBwH for nouvelle. And got a hint from a friend for overjoyed-dashiki which I never would have gotten on my own.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Same as ciao_yall—I needed a hint for the last word, nouvelle.  Today I am at genius with the pangram.

LB:  I had the "official" overjoyed-dashiki.  I found a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius pretty quickly, so hopefully that bodes well for the rest.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing venue, venule.  I got nouvelle but was somewhat surprised that it was in there given that (what I think of as) similar words aren't.

Argh, I was kind of close on LB.  Dashiki was one of my contenders, and I had joy(s) but never saw the mate.  Congrats, cathwen, and on another today!

Langue_doc, I'm glad your bird outing went well, though that is a lot of pairs of gloves to have to bring along! We spent some time outside this morning (though it's a little chilly, in the 40s) while doing puzzles and coffee, and there was a tiny bird in the tree next to us being very vocal.  Then another little one, different kind, stopped by, so they were doing some kind of duet.  Eventually they left, which was good for puzzling because they were pretty distracting though cute.  Another one ended up coming by with a shriller call, and our fingers were starting to freeze, so we moved on.  I would have liked to try to identify them, but they're so small, and they were up in the top of the tree.  I could see their coloring to some extent.  We have binoculars out on the other side of the house, but maybe I should keep some there as well.  I'm sure they're just regular birds, though.

Husband goes back to work today after 3 months and is dreading it.  His doctor put in a preference for remote work through May, so hopefully he won't have to go in to site every day.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB!

As for nouvelle, I found this word just because I try everything under the sun, so to speak--foreign words, slang, proper nouns, abbreviations, and the like. I was quite surprised that it was accepted, but when I'm doing the bee, it just means one word less to look for.

ab_grp, hope husband can work from home most days.

Here is the link to merlin, the free bird app--you could also download the sound app that's part of the package. I think when you download the app it asks for your region--eastern US, etc. so that's all you would need to do once you've downloaded the app.
https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! And I have now downloaded the app, which is such a cool idea.  I will try it out tomorrow morning if we are able to sit out then.  My ex-husband had a bunch of bird feeders, and I had found a neat book for him that played bird sounds to help to identify them, but this is way better!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was rawly.

cyphers/submit

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM yesterday, last word waywardly.  Today I'm above genius with the pangram.

LB:  I had bumps-stitchery.  But no 2fer yet today.

Langue_doc, that was a rewarding birding expedition!  As for Merlin, I use it all the time on walks.  Sometimes I just put it on the sound identification to run continuously, so that whenever I hear a bird call I'm not sure of, I can look quickly and see if Merlin picked it up. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we failed to get team QB, missing dyad.  I was also missing dryad, drywall, kayak, yawl

Got a 2fer on my first try yesterday: butchers-scrimpy.  Not the best, but I will take it.  Congrats on your 2fers, Langue_doc and cathwen (+1 today)!

Langue_doc, thank you so much for Merlin.  I put it on this morning while we were out, even though there were no birds very near us, and it picked up 5 or so! I love that a new one pops up as it's identified and that it highlights which ones it hears at a particular time.  I'll have to try the visual ID, but so far the pictures that popped up have matched the birds we've seen in the area. 

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH, last word waywardly. My "list of shame" as I call it is getting longer and longer, but has come in handy. LB bumpers-stitchery.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and a quick QB. Last word yesterday was rabbi.

divulges/skylark

ab_grp, glad to hear that you're having fun with merlin!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on your quick QB, Langue_doc!  I still have four words to go.  Yesterday I got to QB with 1L help to find briar, which I should have seen.

LB: I had skydiver-regular.  No 2fer yet today, though.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwH for rabbi, facepalm. I kept seeing rabbit and wishing there was a t. The "list of shame" grows. LB gulags-skydiver.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing biradial, briar

No luck on LB.  Congrats on three different solutions, Langue_doc, cathwen, and ciao_yall!

A couple birds from yesterday showed up along with some new birds.  I tried cathwen's idea of leaving it on in the background for a bit while I was puzzling.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius, but it's a tricky one today. Last word yesterday was gigging.

Easy twofer. I think I got a twofer yesterday as well, but can't remember either word.

Happy solving!