News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning! QBWH for anticipant and a few others. LB silkworms-someday.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Lots of distractions yesterday, but I got to QB with some help for catalpa, incant, can clinical.  Today I have a few words to go, but am currently stymied.

LB:  I had keywords-salami.  Lots of variation this time!  I'm still working on today's LB; no 2fer yet.

ciao_yall, thanks for that Monty Python clip!  I am also a fan.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB and a twofer. My excuse is that I couldn't sleep. I hate it when we move the clocks forward as my sleep gets messed up for over a month.  Last word yesterday was lathed.

quilt/transform

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius.  I think I have two words left, so hopefully I will join Langue_doc in the QB club (congrats!!).  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing two words: lethal(ly).

No luck on LB, so that gloriously brief streak has been broken.  Maybe today will get me back on track.  I have some good ideas so far.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, Langue_doc!

I am unhappy with the clock changes as well.  I woke up and couldn't figure out what the "real" time was to try to decide whether to go back to sleep, so I just got up and am now sad for it.  I hope we all recover more quickly than usual.

Happy solving! 

ciao_yall

Morning!

Not a great day for NYT puzzles. QBwH for thee (gah) and needed hints, after a zillion 3fers and 2fer b4ss for the pretty straightforward quilt-transform.

Quick 2fer this morning so back at it?

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram. Last word yesterday was mete.

prominence/elevator, then compliant/travel

Was up at 4, and had to remind myself that it was actually 3 in the morning. It's going to be a rough week with about 4 hours of sleep two days in a row. Aaargh!

On that note, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram right away but then really had to struggle to get to genius.  Yesterday I tried and tried and tried but could not get the final word, moiety.  Husband was also missing that one, and nothing helped.  We tried the first three letters and various commenters' definitions and hints.  Just not a word we know, I guess.  My hat is off to you, Langue_doc!

For LB, I got proclaimer-revent.  Congrats on two 2fers, Langue_doc!

I am really sorry to hear that the time change is being so rough on you.  I hope it evens out sooner rather than later.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM-1 then had to hit the dictionary for moiety. Gah. We are all Sam's b****.

LB trampoline-evict and a quick 9-7 this morning.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBABM yesterday, last word memo.  Today I'm at genius with the pangram. 

LB:  I had compliant-travel.  No 2fer yet today, though, despite some good words. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram. Last words yesterday were xenon and fine.

activator/rhombus

I found moiety quite early into the puzzle. Entered moity first, which was rejected, and also didn't look correct visually, so promptly entered the correct word.

Thanks, ab-grp, for commiserating with me on the time change. The getting-adjusted happens every single year. I recall that my academics suffered one spring semester because it took me so very long to complete my assignments after the time change.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got pangram right away and to genius, but that's it so far.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing fennel, infix, nonillion, xenon.

No luck on LB, and I never would have gotten the schmofficial one.  Brouhaha? I hope someone got that one! Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc!

Langue_doc, do you think that your extended vocab comes mostly from reading? From reading anything in particular? I think I do okay, but maybe expanding my reading selection would help here.  And believe me, as someone who has had terrible sleeping problems and highly, highly values her sleep... any disruption is terrible, and to have to anticipate it twice a year is a burden.  It sounds as though it doesn't affect you as much in the fall, though? Do you find any difference in the spring depending on the weather? I would guess it might be easier to adjust if there is some sun to help say when the day is, rather than just ambiguous gray, but I don't know. 

I hope you east coasters do not get too badly affected by the snow and etc. storm.  Stay warm! My mom is out and about this morning and has reported flurries so far in her area.

Youngest arrives today for a brief visit through early Friday, spring break at the U.  We can finally take the Christmas tree down and put all of that away.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM-1 and then finally had to get a hint for felon. Gah. LB activator-rhombus.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Not a good puzzle day yesterday.  I needed hints for words I usually get:  info, loonie, innie, online (last word).  Today I'm at Beta with the pangram and stuck.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday, so congratulations to those who succeeded!  I kept trying to get something to pair with rhotacism, but without success.  I did find a 2fer without much trouble today, though.

Add me to the chorus grumbling about Daylight Saving Time.  I also hate sleep disruptions, and I dislike dark mornings. 

Anyway...happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius. Last words yesterday were roar and gala.

ab_grp, yes, my vocabulary is due to my extensive reading and also the insistence on the part of the schools I attended on correct spellings. Both schools (parochial) had us memorize spellings; this was also reinforced at home by my mother who was a school teacher. I know what a certain word looks like in print, which helps with the puzzles. Unlike most people I know, I find it difficult to process books auditorily, so I've never attempted listening to books, but instead only read them, which again lets me see the words as opposed to only hearing them.

As for the time change, I can adjust to the change in Fall, because I get to sleep an extra hour in the morning. It's the spring change that gets me down--must be my body clock, as there's nothing I can do about it. One year I tried getting up progressively earlier about a month before the time change, which helped.

Glad that youngest will get to see the tree. Hope husband has recovered and can do pre-surgery activities.

Happy solving!