News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBWH for a new word logogram. LB pincers-subway.

Quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got pangrams pretty quickly, but genius took a bit again.  Yesterday I was missing alarm, mural, and we were both missing augur, logogram.  The latter is a tough one, but I think it has been in there before.  Maybe someday I will remember it.

No luck on LB again.  Congrats, ciao_yall! And on another today!

Langue_doc, thanks! Husband is recovering very well, still has some activity restrictions in the chest area, like lifting very heavy stuff, but he can do most everything again, which is very helpful!! And luckily youngest was able to help decorate the tree during Thanksgiving break, so we are looking forward to help un-decorating it.  We got some new storage bins to replace the crumbling cardboard boxes used in moving years ago.  This kind of exciting visit activity is why I win stepmother awards.  Luckily, youngest has always been game to help out with just about anything.

I can understand the loss of an hour being worse.  Either way, it throws me off because the light/dark isn't the usual, but I just get mad losing an hour (even if I also gain an hour... human psychology). 

And it totally makes sense that reading and also correct spelling are such key elements.  I think those helped with my vocab development as well.  I don't know why it's kind of stalled.  I probably read more specialized language these days.  I do think listening to audio books has helped a little with words I had only seen in print that I did not realize I was pronouncing incorrectly! But that is a relatively new foray for me, and I don't find it as fulfilling or satisfying as reading print.  Although I don't find it difficult to listen to audio books, I am one of those people (maybe you are, too) who pretty much has to read in any situation.  Sitting somewhere near a magazine, sign, box, anything? Gotta read it in the absence of anything else to read.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBABM today!  Yesterday was less good—it got late so I went to hints for aurora/l, guar, gall, and magma. 

LB:  Like ciao_yall, I also had pincers-subway.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Ab_grp, I'm so glad to hear that your husband is recovering well!  And have fun with dismantling the tree. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. I hate these repetitive puzzles--didn't we see something similar just a few days ago? Last word yesterday was puppet.

fixations/squawk

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius and then finally got the pangram.  Husband only has one 4-letter left! He really sped along today.  I hope he gets QB.  I got there yesterday with last word peptide.  Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!

I also got the schmofficial fixations-squawk.  I was just glad to get one since everyone seemed to have solved it so quickly!

We did get the Christmas tree down and stowed and even reasonably organized the ornaments in the sturdier bins.  Thanks, Cathwen! Today we don't have much on the agenda, other than that I am going to try to observe crocheting and learn how to do that, since the knitting gene skipped over me entirely.  I can cast on and do one row, and then that's it.  Since youngest likes to go thrifting, I am hoping to unload a ton of clothes that don't fit me anymore.  Lots of jeans! Then we will probably play cards or something later.  I pinched something in my shoulder area or overworked my tricep or something, so I am in BenGay mode again for the moment.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBWH for puttied.   LB fixations-squawk

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBABM yesterday, last word tippet.  I'm beyond genius and I have the pangram, but nine words to go.  Ugh!   

LB:  I also had fixations-squawk.  This appears to be the only solution!  I found a 2fer today as well.

Ab_grp, I am thinking of getting back into knitting (not that I was ever very advanced) after the semester, or perhaps crocheting.  And sewing.  I used to make a lot of my own clothes!  I would love to make things again. (I also plan to fully retire at the end of the semester, so I'll have time!)

Anyway—happy puzzling, all!

ab_grp

Cathwen, congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today! I guess that probably is the only solution.  I had a very, very patient teacher for about an hour and a half this afternoon, and I learned several crochet stitches.  But I think it will be a while before I can do much (if I even keep up with it).  Being able to make your own clothes has got to be so liberating.  I envy those who can knit or crochet without thinking, just while watching TV or chatting or whatever! I was focusing so hard that I feel like I need a drink or a nap at this point.  And congrats on your retirement plan!! That is so exciting and wonderful! I hope you will still stay with us, become an even more impressive puzzler, and share your adventures.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last words yesterday were maim and aide--it's usually the obvious ones that take a long time to find.

alphabetic/cower; whitebait/tropical

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Last words yesterday were dammit, midi, and tatami.  Today I'm at genius with the pangram.

LB:  I had pathetical-lowbrowPathetical seemed iffy to me, but I'm not arguing.  Congratulations on finding two, Langue_doc!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBWATHICG for a new word dimity. LB lowbrow-whitecap.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and a bit past genius. Yesterday I was way behind, though! Just ran out of time with all the arts and crafts.  I'll blame it on that.  Husband got QBABH, but I was missing mediate(d), dammit, dimity.  I see that the latter has been in there one other time, June 2021 I think, but I do not remember it at all.

Congrats on all your 2fers! Wow!! And two for Langue_doc! I kept getting close but had no luck in the end. 

Youngest ships out this morning, so hopefully I'll be back on the puzzle train or at least will have a little more time.  Having a brief visit was nice, though it's nice to have routine as well!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Nowhere near genius yet and only two pangrams.  Ouch.  Husband found the third but is still not near genius.  But I did get the crossword, Wordle, etc. done.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing cede(d), colleen, locoweed.  Never would have gotten the last one, but I should have found the middle one given the day!

I got the schmofficial forked-devilishly, but it took a while.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH - locoweed is a word? LB forked-devilishly.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH here also.  And I echo: locoweed??  At least I don't feel stupid for missing that one.  Unlike cocoon/ed, which I got with 2LL help, and should have seen.

Today I'm at genius and have all three pangrams.

LB:  I also had forked-devilishly.  No 2fer yet today!

Happy puzzling!