News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday, with help for roar, which I was sure I had already put down!  QB today, too; commentary tomorrow.

LB:  I had wench-hydrogenate.  I have found a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Husband and I each got to QB-1 after about 15 minutes, so I am assuming this will be a QB for everyone day again.  Congrats, cathwen and Langue_doc! He and I have different final words left, so hopefully we will both get them.  Tomorrow (Monday) is going to be as easy as it gets, according to Sam, so several easy puzzles recently (unless he's being untruthful... I did check the calendar, but it's not 4/1 yet).  As for yesterday, husband got to QB but I got busy and then tired and failed.  I was missing arroyo, mayor, yarrow

No luck on LB again! Congrats, ciao_yall and cathwen (and on another today)!

I have a long friend call in the afternoon so am not sure where I will get with puzzles but am at least hoping to figure out my final word!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL for pfft. LB videography-yow. Quick 2fer this morning.

QB-1 right now. Let's see if I can ABM.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. Traveling, so broke my wordle streak.

Birds aplenty, haven't seen so many bald eagles in one spot until now.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

One more word to go.  Husband got QB already.  I am not sure I agree with Sam that this is as easy as it gets.  I think yesterday's was easier.  But, I guess it depends.  Yesterday we both got to QB.  My last word was efface, and his was pfft (which was my penultimate).

No luck on LB, but our phone call went even longer than expected, so it was a fair sacrifice.  Congrats, ciao_yall, and on another today.

Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc, and happy travels! Enjoy the bald eagles!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 27, 2023, 05:44:42 AM
Good morning!

QB. Traveling, so broke my wordle streak.

Birds aplenty, haven't seen so many bald eagles in one spot until now.

Happy solving!

My Wordle streak is at 39.

QB-1... really hoping to ABM it today. pfft.

ab_grp

Got my word.  Yay! QB.  Good luck, ciao_yall.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Got to QB-1 yesterday and needed a hint for pfft. (Really?)  Today I'm also at QB-1 and hoping for QBABM.  Langue_doc and ab_grp are giving me hope!  Hope that the last word is not as weird as pfft.

LB:  I had the "official" videography-yew.  No 2fer yet today!

Langue_doc, what a treat to see all those bald eagles!  One is enough of a thrill, but many...

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

QuoteGot to QB-1 yesterday and needed a hint for pfft. (Really?)

This has been a longstanding pet peeve--the bee people claim rather pompously that they "hand curate" their list of words with the result that legitimate words that are in common use are excluded at the expense of words (i) that are used only in speaking such as gonna, dammit, (ii) archaic words such as yond, (iii) scientific words that are known only to those familiar with those subjects, (iv) words of foreign origin, again selected rather indiscriminately, and last but not least, (v) words such as pfft which defy any logical classification.

Twofer, weird second word, but it was accepted, so it counts.

As for wordle, I usually get quite large streaks, which routinely get broken because of an early morning event on a weekend.

cathwen, I've been seeing the occasional bald eagle flying overhead, but this was the first time that I saw several circling overhead, among some red-tailed hawks and turkey vultures. I had to keep looking at the picture on Merlin, just to make sure that I was identifying them correctly and also keep referring to the two displays illustrating the various raptors in the refuge. This morning, while driving, there was another bald eagle sitting on a nest on top of a platform. I had a good view because of a stop light--only one lane was open because of construction, so cars had to wait for the traffic from the other direction to clear the road before the light changed.

ab_grp, you made it!

ciao_yall

QBwG for motif. Yeah, just hide that f on the end of the word. LB plight-troubadour.

Quick 2fer this morning but the bee is a slog today.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius. That's it for today.

bought/tripodal

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams pretty quickly, but I'm still 10 or so points from genius.  It's one of those off-schedule mornings with husband having to go to site early.  Yesterday my final word was firm, of all things.

For LB, I finally got a 2fer while we were making dinner: droplight-tabu.  I just tried the first word, but after husband explained what it was (like one of those lightbulbs in a cage on a long extension cord that you can hang near a workspace), I know my dad had one at one point and I just had no idea what the name for it was.  Congrats on your solutions, ciao_yall (and another today) and Langue_doc!

Speaking of birds, I forgot to mention that there's one that Merlin keeps recording but never while I'm looking at the app, and it's got a cool name and is very pretty.  Anyway, it happened to land in the bare branches of the tree above us yesterday and called out while I was looking at the app, so I finally got to see it. 

Hoping to get some more coffee, as I obviously need it.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB with help to fine motif.  I know it's been in the Bee before, but I just didn't see it.  Also, I used to teach French from a textbook called Motifs, so I really have no excuse.  Today I am above genius and have both pangrams with about five words to go. 

LB:  Like Langue_doc, I had bought-tripodal.  No 2fer yet today, so congratulations to ciao_yall for a quick one! 

Ab_grp, what did Merlin say your bird was? 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Cathwen, it was a pyrrhuloxia.  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pyrrhuloxia/id   Kind of cute! Husband offered to take a picture of it, but I made the mistake of saying no, I have a good picture in the app.  Of course, with a picture of the actual bird I could at least tell if it was a guy or a gal.  Next time! And congrats on your 2fer from yesterday! Good luck today.

No 2fer for me yet, but I did finally make it to genius. 

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH and a new word, tactual. LB glaze-execution.

Happy solving!