Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Not unlike the phrase 'good cop', then.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 10, 2021, 01:08:58 PM
Not unlike the phrase 'good cop', then.

I suppose not, just in terms of language. But looking at the current climate, if I were to put a banner on my office door saying 'support your local police' I will be isolating myself; whereas if I have a 'Black Lives Matter' banner I will be 'showing up to fight injustice' and winning friends. At least among those who dare to express themselves. This is the current lay of the land of my (not so little) piece of academia, who appear to trust compromised news outlets such as the ones I referenced.

hmaria1609

The gubernatorial race is in full swing in VA now. The Commonwealth of VA has its governor's race in off election years.

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 10, 2021, 07:30:41 PM
The gubernatorial race is in full swing in VA now. The Commonwealth of VA has its governor's race in off election years.

When I found myself in Virginia some 25 years ago, the ballots were not marked with political parties, only names. Being new, I knew no names, except the candidates for Governor. So, I then voted for Governor, and then voted randomly for all the other positions!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on June 10, 2021, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 10, 2021, 07:30:41 PM

When I found myself in Virginia some 25 years ago, the ballots were not marked with political parties, only names. Being new, I knew no names, except the candidates for Governor. So, I then voted for Governor, and then voted randomly for all the other positions!

Glad to hear there was no voter suppression!

QuoteBut regardless, the fact remains that peaceful protestors were gassed days before terrorist gang attempted a coup, and were met with virtually no resistance. The bad optics of the photo op--and whether the intentions behind it all really were as malicious as it looked--are an irrelevant distraction.

Apparently smoke canisters were used, not tear gas, which is much more caustic. The press got that wrong too. And there were warnings to clear the area (the press claimed there weren't) although the report says they might not have been loud enough to be heard by everyone. Of course, when you're having a mostly peaceful protest, you have the right to as many decibels as you might need to convey your peaceful message.
Call me weird, but I think holding up a Bible in front of a church may be a silly bit of melodrama, but it's no kind of aggression, and the bad optics are on the press, if anyone's paying attention. President Trump got more bad press for the photo than the BLM thugs got for setting fire to the church.
These are the people our diversity, inclusion and equity staff want us to honor. Screw them.
Dom Lemon was even going off on Trump for not being a regular church attender. It was a media party of Trump negativity built on claims they had no business making.
Are the media biased?