Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Fla.'s Stop WOKE Act Remains Stymied

Lower Deck:
A panel of federal judges is keeping in place a block on Florida's Stop WOKE Act while appeals progress.

Of course, this is probably just what DeSantis intended to have happen...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 17, 2023, 08:17:12 AM
Do you know what Rushdoony and his Recons taught?  Sharia ain't it.

Dominion Theology would beg to differ.

downer

Tabia Lee lost her job because of pronouns. Despite being a black woman.

The Daily Mail has a fair and balanced account (just kidding):
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11849241/Dr-Tabia-Lee-fired-woke-California-college-asking-anti-racism-definition.html
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ciao_yall

Quote from: downer on March 17, 2023, 04:12:27 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11849241/Dr-Tabia-Lee-fired-woke-California-college-asking-anti-racism-definition.html

Saw this. She sounded like a complete nutcase.

downer

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 17, 2023, 06:00:18 PM

It is a good look calling a black woman crazy with no evidence. Don't let me hold you back.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 17, 2023, 06:00:18 PM

Lee, a graduate of the University of Phoenix with a doctorate from the University of California Irvine

Irvine takes UOP credits?

This says she has an EdD.

https://www.deanza.edu/faculty/leetabia/

Bet TDM got it backwards. 

Gotta say, her website looks a little weird to me.  She has made and posted a biography video on YouTube.  She has a cartoon down that the bottom of the page----check it out.  And what's up with that headshot?

kaysixteen

Dominion theology is more problematic, but it is not the same as Christian Reconstructionism.

I was rather involved with the Recons in the 90s, and wrote an essay about them in 2000 which is online.  I will send the URL in private to anyone who asks, even though it will out me.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 17, 2023, 10:57:06 PM
Dominion theology is more problematic, but it is not the same as Christian Reconstructionism.

I was rather involved with the Recons in the 90s, and wrote an essay about them in 2000 which is online.  I will send the URL in private to anyone who asks, even though it will out me.

Kay, are you a proponent of theocracy?

kaysixteen

You are going to dislike this response, but I need to get you to define your terms, what you are asking me if I am a proponent of.... what is 'theocracy'?

Of course, in any case, I did not say I am a Christian Reconstructionist, and I note that you did not ask me for the URL of the blog I wrote.

nebo113

https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/understanding-the-christian-reconstruction-movement/

it's a social theory that argues that modern societies should be reorganized in terms of biblical law.

Guess we should start stoning sinners.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 18, 2023, 10:56:52 PM
You are going to dislike this response, but I need to get you to define your terms, what you are asking me if I am a proponent of.... what is 'theocracy'?

Of course, in any case, I did not say I am a Christian Reconstructionist, and I note that you did not ask me for the URL of the blog I wrote.

Who says I will dislike your response?  And that was an honest question, so please don't play the obtuse game.  A "Theocracy," as I understand the term, is a government with a stated religious orientation.  What nebo said.

And I am sorry I did not ask for your blog.  I literally have a bookshelf of unread material and a hard drive full of pilfered PDFs, and I bought a book on Modernism and 1,001 Nights yesterday.  However, I will send a PM now.  I will not out you.

kaysixteen

Nebo's link, and her brief summation of the Recon view, is accurate.

I did not say I was one, however.  I am however at pains to point out that all law is based on someone's standards, based on some underlying/ undergirding philosophy.  I will send along the link to wahoo and to anyone else who wants it.

Wahoo Redux

That is quite the document.  Will take me a bit to read as I work on other things.

So your "undergirding philosophy"-----is that overtly based on Judeo-Christian principles?

kaysixteen

Obviously, as a (hopefully) sincere Christian, I would have to say yes.   That said, there are a lot of so-called 'Christian worldview' questionnaires, tests, surveys, assertions, etc., out there, and there is precious little that can clearly and unambigiously be stated as 'biblical', without at least some sincere Christians rejecting, rightly or wrongly.

Wahoo Redux

NPR: A Florida professor says his contract was terminated for teaching about racial justice

For years, Joeckel's class included a unit on the Black experience in the U.S., where he touched on the work of historic figures such as W.E.B. Du Bois and Booker T. Washington, as well as long-standing racial disparities in mass incarceration and educational attainment, as WLRN previously reported.

But recently, administrators took issue with Joeckel's curriculum, saying that they received a complaint from a student's parent about his lessons related to race, the professor said. Joeckel's contract was subsequently put under review last month. A few days ago, the instructor learned his contract would be terminated early.