News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

Yes to Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi!  I adored What We Do In The Shadows ("Werewolves not swearwolves!"), as well as the Flight of the Conchords TV series.  Also the rock monster in Thor.  I'm trying to find a way to get access to the new TV series.

In other news, the new Men in Black movie got 1 out of 5 stars from the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/12/men-in-black-international-review-f-gary-gray-chris-hemsworth-liam-neeson-tessa-thompson

backatit

You can buy the new tv series on Amazon for a paltry fee (I assure you it's worth it!). We also got it on FX (are you in the US?) through our Directv subscription but I was so incensed at all the commercials that I'm spoiled. Now if I can just spoof NZ to get the Wellington Paranormal spinoff my life will be complete :D.

Speaking of which, it's not by them, but have you watched Strange Calls? I like that one, too.

And I saw that Guardian review (I'm a subscriber and that's the first thing I read in the morning). So disappointing, but maybe it's better than the review suggests.

clean

i saw Men In Black today.
I guessed some of the plot twists, but was surprised by others.

I had read the poor review, but I think that it was better than the review indicated.  If you liked MIB I and II, it was in the same vein. 

I didnt sit all the way through the credits, but the theater workers said that there were no extra scenes!  I hope that they werent just truing to move us along!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

backatit

I just checked and it does NOT, indeed, have a post-credits scene (I always want to know this sort of thing, and there are a couple of sites that will reveal whether a movie does or does not include that - just google "does x movie have post-credits scenes").

clean

Toy Story is back.
Will you be watching Woody and Buzz (and Sporky) this weekend?

Will you go to the movies at all this weekend?  It is warming up, and theaters are usually air conditioned!!  (though I suppose that anywhere that AC is a plus, people will have AC at home).

clean

I got the latest copy of my BoxOffice subscription. It includes a calendar of sorts that indicates the releases of movies by the various distributors.  I have listed some titles that are in Wide Release for the next few months and then some other titles I found interesting (or stars I recognize) that release from September through December.
Which of these are of interest to you?  Have you seen the trailers yet? 

Here are some of the releases coming soon:

June
Ophelia (6/28) IFC Films staring Daisy Ridley and Naomi Watts
Yesterday (6/28) Universal staring Lilly James and Hirmesh Patel
Anabelle Comes Home (6/26) Warner Bros staring McKenna Grace and Madison Iseman

july

The Lion King (7/19) Disney staring Donald Glover and Beyonce
Stuber (7/12) Fox staring Daave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani
Crawl (7/12) Paramount staring Kaya Scrodelario and Barry Pepper
Spiderman: Far From Home (7/2) Sony staring Tom Holland and Michael Keaton
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (7/26) Sony (Quenton Tarantino) Staring Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt
Brahms: The Boy II (7/26) STX Entertainment staring Katie Holmes

August
Fast and Furious Presents: Hobs and Saw (8/2) Uniersal  staring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham
Brittany Runs a Marathon (8/23) Amazon Sutdios staring Jullian Bell and michaela Watkins (com/dra)
47 meters Down: Uncaged (8/16) Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures   staring John Corbett and Nia Long
The Art of Racing in the Rain (8/9) Fox Staring Milo Ventimigilia and Amanda Seyfried
Ready or Not (8/23) Fox Searchlight straing Samara Weaving and Adam Brody
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark ( 8/9) Lionsgate staring Zoe Colletti and Michael Garza
Angel has Fallen (8/23) Lionsgate staring Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler
Dora and the Lost City of Gold (8/9) Paramount staring Isabela Moner and Eugenio Derbez
The Peanut Better Falcon (8/9) Roadside Attractions staring Shia LeBeouf and Dakota Johnson
My Spy (8/23) STX Entertainment staring Dave Bautista and Kristen Schaal
Whered you go Bernadette?  (8/9) United Artists Releasing staring Cate Blanchett and Billy CrudupThe Kitchen (8/9) Warner Bros staring Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish

Others I thought were interesting:
Maleficient: Mistress of Evil (10/18) Disney staring Angelina Jolie ad Elle Fanning
Frozen 2 (11/22) Disney staring Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (12/20) Disney Staring Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver
Downton Abbey (9/20) Focus Features staring Hugh Bonnerville and Laura Carmichael
Ford V Ferrari (11/15) Fox staring Matt Damon and Christian Bale
Spies in Disguise (12/25) Fox staring Wil SMih and Tom Holland
Rambo:Last Blood (9/20) Lionsgate staring Sylverter Stallone and Paz Vega
Midway (11/8) Lionsgate  staring Woody Harrelson and Patrick Wilson
Knives Out (11/27) Lionsgate staring Daniel Craig and Chris Evans
Gemini Man (10/11) Paramount Staring Will Smith and Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Terminator: Dark Fate (11/1) Paramount Staring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton
Zombieland 2 : Double Tap (10/18) Sony staring Emma Stone and Woody Harrelson
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (11/22) Sony Staring Tom Hanks
The Addams Family (10/11) United Artists Releasing staring Oscar Isaac and Charlize Theron
It Chapter Two (9/6) Warner  bros  Staring James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain
Joker (10/4) Warner Bros staring Joaquin Phoenix
Superintelligence (12/20) Warner Bros staring Melissa McCarthy and Bobby Cannavale

mamselle

Thanks to an odd reference in a New Yorker article from a month ago, I just located the title of a French film I'd been pondering for awhile, but couldn't recall.

Whew!

It's <<L'Amour fou>> by J. Rivette....I could picture various scenes, etc. but couldn't recall the cineaste or the title...it's only been a couple decades since I saw it.

But very interesting and worth checking out if you have a place that shows films from other places.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

This weekend, we went to see The Secret Life of Pets 2 (good enough kid's movie, but predictable for adults) and Men in Black: International (good enough summer action movie).

The air conditioning in the theatre was turned up nice and high.  For MIB, there were 8 of us in the theatre so I was glad for my sweatshirt.

Interested poll: how many of your local theatres serve macaroni and cheese?  Ours just started and it was clearly from the same cheap box as the college student staple.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

I am looking forward to seeing the movie Yesterday.  It opens this weekend.

Anyone else making movie plans for this weekend?

saffie

Yesterday looks interesting, as does the documentary Maiden, I may see one of these over the weekend or next week.

I'm also planning to see The Cure's 1978-2018 Anniversary concert film. It's playing one night in July at the local Alamo theater, as is Rock'n'Roll High School (1979).

clean

I saw Shaft yesterday afternoon. It only had one showing at my preferred theater and that was the last showing as something else was taking its place.

It was a $6 show, and I suppose it was worth $6.  It was ok.  It had a bit too much 'language' for me, I suppose.

This weekend I m hoping to see Yesterday.  If I dont finish my research assignment, though, Ill see it next week. Maybe on July 4 afternoon. 

The previews included Rambo: last blood, Ford Vs Ferrari, Hollywood town,   and a hurricane meets alligator movie Crawl.  Frankly, none of them look all that exciting to me at this point.  I may see the alligator movie on a rainy afternoon (by myself, as my girlfriend isnt likely to go with me). 

Will you watch any movies between now and July 4?  (Spiderman - 'next iteration ' will be out Monday I think to launch the July 4 festivities!  I expect that will be the big draw next week.)

polly_mer

Quote from: clean on June 28, 2019, 04:19:05 PM
Will you watch any movies between now and July 4?  (Spiderman - 'next iteration ' will be out Monday I think to launch the July 4 festivities!  I expect that will be the big draw next week.)

Maybe.  Toy Story 4 is still here and I overheard Blocky talking to one of his friends.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

kaysixteen

How can one possibly pass on Rambo, septuagenarian though he be, going out with a blaze of glory?

ergative

We just saw Toy Story 4. I quite enjoyed it. If you think about the movies as the interaction of kid and toy individual and evolutionary life cycles, then you have the birth of a new toy (Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story 1), the prime of kids and toys (Toy Story 2), the growing up and moving on of kids (Toy Story 3), and then Toy Story 4 is about the growing up and moving on of Toys, as well as the evolution of a new category of toy.

It's making me think very deep thoughts about religion and the role of a creator and what creations owe to their creators and what the relationship between creation and creator can be like if it's not all awe and worship. You could almost view it as an allegory about allowing people to participate or not in religion, as they like, although from that perspective Forky's conversion is forced and problematic.

It's also super feminist, and the villain has a terrific character arc.

backatit

We're going to see Yesterday this evening. I'm really looking forward to it.