News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What?

Started by jimbogumbo, March 19, 2022, 11:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 19, 2022, 04:35:35 PM

I can't believe those outfits and chants lasted past 1990.

Ditto.
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

You didn't even see the weirdest image because I couldn't isolate it. And, when I couldn't believe what I was reading (couldn't wear the headdresses, could yell scalp em bros?) I googled. There is ANOTHER such squad in Keller TX named Indianettes!

I also looked up a school where I supervised teachers in previous state. The men's athletic teams are still Braves, and the women's are Squaws.

marshwiggle

On St. Patrick's Day, I've seen a LOT of people who must be "naturalized" Irish citizens, and no-one seems to be checking their passports or DNA. Similarly, during Oktoberfest there seem to be many naturalized Germans.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Last I checked, we didn't take over Irish or German land without paying for it.

That might be the difference.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 20, 2022, 12:22:51 PM
On St. Patrick's Day, I've seen a LOT of people who must be "naturalized" Irish citizens, and no-one seems to be checking their passports or DNA. Similarly, during Oktoberfest there seem to be many naturalized Germans.

So, what would happen if this band went to Toronto or Vancouver to perform?

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on March 20, 2022, 01:26:30 PM

M.

If "we" means the English, many *Irish people might disagree with that....

*including Catholics in Northern Ireland.

mahagonny

Can a boy be an Indianette? why not?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 20, 2022, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: mamselle on March 20, 2022, 01:26:30 PM

M.

If "we" means the English, many *Irish people might disagree with that....

*including Catholics in Northern Ireland.

It doesn't.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

The big problem here is what I call the *"Brexit problem" or the "sovereignty association problem". Finding a majority of people unhappy with the status quo? Easy-peasy. Finding a concrete alternative that a large majority of those people will agree on? Virtually impossible. Why? Because there can be people opposed to the status quo but for very different, and possibly completely opposite reasons.

If the zealots who protest names, logos, etc. can come up with a specific alternative that they unanimously support, I'm all ears.

*Brexit problem because many are unhappy that Brexit didn't give them all that they hoped; some because they're still too tied to the EU, and some because they're not as connected as they used to be. Sovereignty association problem because  the Quebec referendum to give the government "a mandate" to "negotiate" "sovereignty association" almost won by including all those weasel-words and phrases so that voters could have all kinds of different ideas of what they were choosing. A simple question like "Do you want Quebec to be a separate country from Canada?" would have gotten significantly less votes.

mamselle

Hunh?

This has nothing to do with Brexit.

The "Indians" referred to are Native Americans, sometimes called "First Peoples" in Canada.

The objection to the use of derogatory, white-applied terms like "braves," "squaws," "war-whoops," and the like, have to do with inappropriate attitudes, language, and uses of culturally-inflected apparel like the knock-offs of ceremonial robes and headgear whose use was earned or conferred by position, heritage, or proofs of worthiness within the social group to which they belonged.

It is not referring to the UK, to residents of the southeast Asian Indian subcontinent, or their near-neighbors.

Does that help clarify things?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on March 20, 2022, 03:43:05 PM
Can a boy be an Indianette? why not?

It is very common for young men to be in something called color guard, which is a component of high school marching bands and is almost overwhelmingly populated by young women. Those bands overwhelmingly associate with the school nickname. Some examples from where I lived were Spartans, Chargers, Tigers, Lions, Panthers etc. The young women sports teams are not referred to as Lionesses or Spartanettes, so no probs.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on March 21, 2022, 08:51:41 AM
Hunh?

This has nothing to do with Brexit.

The "Indians" referred to are Native Americans, sometimes called "First Peoples" in Canada.

The objection to the use of derogatory, white-applied terms like "braves," "squaws," "war-whoops," and the like, have to do with inappropriate attitudes, language, and uses of culturally-inflected apparel like the knock-offs of ceremonial robes and headgear whose use was earned or conferred by position, heritage, or proofs of worthiness within the social group to which they belonged.

It is not referring to the UK, to residents of the southeast Asian Indian subcontinent, or their near-neighbors.

Does that help clarify things?

M.

I would like to see how many things that are changed, renamed, etc. over the next decade because they are deemed "offensive" wind up being re-renamed in a few decades because the choice they make now becomes unacceptable by some future generation for some reason not even on the radar now. (And, of course, the fact that it isn't on the radar now will be viewed by the future generation as clear evidence of just how horrible people are now.)

dismalist

What's missing here is clearly defined property rights.

Pass a law granting ownership of certain words -- trademarks -- to specific groups -- tribes or the collective of Native Americans. They could then rent out their use if they wish.

Anybody who thought the words were offensive could buy the right to them and not use it.

We could do the same with things, such as headdress.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli