Main Menu

What?

Started by jimbogumbo, March 19, 2022, 11:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 22, 2022, 05:02:36 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on March 21, 2022, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on March 21, 2022, 06:32:21 PM
He may be an idiot, possibly-- certainly his activities here are oftentimes challenging.   That said, he is not wrong that there really is no substantive linguistic difference between 'colored person' and 'person of color'.

The difference is that you want to lead with the person, not their category. For example, a person with disabilities is person first. A disabled person is defined by the feature that makes them "other."

So why are there still "white people", rather than "people who are white"?

'People guilty of whiteness.' There, solved that one for you.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on March 21, 2022, 07:31:35 PM

Of course I do that if the occasion arises, but I can't remember the last time I discussed race with anyone. I can't think of any reason to.

And that, my friends, is the white-privilege-iest white-privilege that ever white-privileged.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 22, 2022, 06:39:10 AM

Of course I do that if the occasion arises, but I can't remember the last time I discussed race with anyone. I can't think of any reason to.

And that, my friends, is the white-privilege-iest white-privilege that ever white-privileged.

Wait, you left out violence. C'mon, give people a little credit.

marshwiggle

I'd guess Klan gatherings discuss race a lot. Does that mean they lack white privilege?
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 22, 2022, 07:55:53 AM

I'd guess Klan gatherings discuss race a lot. Does that mean they lack white privilege?

Yes. Morgan Freeman has been hoarding the right to not talk about race, or inform people he doesn't want to talk about it any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLj2CVC1VU

Although if he chose to belong to my faculty union in order to improve his wages, there goes his right to not talk about race. Because they claim all of us support something called Black Lives Matter, which talks about race constantly, except when they're setting police cars on fire and counting their money.

jimbogumbo

re white privilege:

Quote from: mahagonny on March 21, 2022, 07:53:48 PM
It is an attempt by certain white people to feel that they are innocent about America's past.

I'm sorry, but that is just plain bs. I don't care if it is just you saying that with the suspect, or an actual paraphrase  of something Shelby Steele say (hard to tell from the above).

mahagonny

So you're wondering if I heard Shelby Steele right or not? I wouldn't bother. He said something nice about Governor Tim Scott. So screw him.

dismalist

White privilege?

Nay, White achievement! First and foremost, ending slavery. Second, the Enlightenment, and third, Capitalism. Together have made us, decidedly including the so-called underprivileged, far better off than we have ever been before.

To say it in a way germane to present day politics:

"Democrats haven't been this angry since Republicans freed the slaves."

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Black as well as white abolitionists' work led to the end of slavery.

Stripping Frederick Douglass of agency isn't very historically accurate.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: mamselle on March 22, 2022, 06:43:25 PM
Black as well as white abolitionists' work led to the end of slavery.

Stripping Frederick Douglass of agency isn't very historically accurate.

M.

The British had local Whites pay to compensate slave owners in the colonies -- slavery had been deemed illegal at home by judicial interpretation of existing law earlier.

The South had to be beaten to end slavery in these parts, as there was no question of compensation entertained. Now compensate the dead White union soldiers.

It's fine to advocate; it's another thing to pay or die.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

I'm confused.

Are you saying blacks didn't die in the effort to end slavery?

For starters, there's the whole system, which was deadly and vituperative, especially towards those who tried to leave.

Whites would have not been aware of the issues if folks like Douglass had not worked as they did to inform them.

Those whites who were "compensated" for their "losses" are not known to have compensated the blacks whose lives they stole to begin with.

And then there were the 54th regiment and others....

So, not sure where the own-back-patting comes from. 

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: mahagonny on March 22, 2022, 09:58:02 AM

Yes. Morgan Freeman has been hoarding the right to not talk about race, or inform people he doesn't want to talk about it any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLj2CVC1VU

Although if he chose to belong to my faculty union in order to improve his wages, there goes his right to not talk about race. Because they claim all of us support something called Black Lives Matter, which talks about race constantly, except when they're setting police cars on fire and counting their money.

Eh...Morgan Freeman definitely talks about race, and that includes promoting Black Lives Matter.

'Freeman: Racism Fuels Tea Party'
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2011/09/23/piers-morgan-freeman-tea-party-racism.cnn

'Morgan Freeman to share people's experiences of racism on his social platforms'
https://www.nme.com/news/film/morgan-freeman-share-peoples-experiences-racism-social-platforms-2682978

Facebook post
"You are never too old to have a revelation. #blacklivesmatter"
https://www.facebook.com/MorganFreeman/photos/a.230075090408483/2995998643816100/?type=3

'Morgan Freeman tackles police brutality with new film'
"Actor Morgan Freeman is bringing the conversation about racism and police brutality to the big screen, as the executive producer of "The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain."
https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/idRCV00A84A

Facebook post promoting the Freedom to Vote Act
Includes an ACLU link which says "The Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act includes crucial provisions to restore the protections of the Voting Rights Act that will begin to root out voting barriers that discriminate against voters of color."
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=511795803483999&ref=sharing

All of these things date after the 60 Minutes interview where he said, "Stop talking about it."

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on March 22, 2022, 05:31:43 PM
So you're wondering if I heard Shelby Steele right or not? I wouldn't bother. He said something nice about Governor Tim Scott. So screw him.

Nice deflect. I was only making a statement about the statement I quoted. I disagree that it is true, and don't have any bone to pick regarding Shelby Steele. It is the statement I disagree with. I also happen to respect Sen. Scott.

You simply cannot engage honestly.

kaysixteen

1) who  gets to  decide what terms are to be used, even with the membership of a not necessarily monolithic 'in group, cf. 'Latinx'?

2) what would be the justification for berating or rebuking older folks who have not yet gotten with the program, esp those lacking the education, social circles connections, etc., to be aware of the new preferences?

mamselle

Oh, why not? I'm consciously throwing oil on the fire here...

Fact-checking of some seriously inane questions re: the newly nominated Supreme Court Justice's record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3nph9F_2Y

Might as well mix it up; clearly the subtext has little to do with her qualifications....

M.