News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thank you on Veterans Day!

Started by clean, November 11, 2022, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

While we should be grateful Every Day for those that have devoted parts of their lives in the service our nation(s), in defense of the Freedoms we enjoy, on this day in particular, (the 11th Day of the 11th Month) which saw the end of what was hoped to be The War to End All Wars, I want to say 'Thank You'. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

My grandparents, who fought in the resistance in the second war (one as a child soldier), were vehemently opposed to celebrating Remembrance Day. They saw it as a gross exercise in propaganda and revisionism, and saw its extension to soldiers more generally as a perversion of the original's spirit (such as it was).

They raised me, but I didn't entirely understand as a child. I do now that I'm an adult. Thus, I honour their memory by not "celebrating", by eschewing the red poppy, and simply by reflecting.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Echoing your sentiments, clean.

My uncle served as a pilot in WW II--never talked about his experiences, ever.

My host--a veteran-- at the Thanksgiving dinner the year before the pandemic had a place setting for MIA/POW.
https://www.defense.gov/external-content/story/Article/2776327/the-powmia-or-missing-man-table/#:~:text=It%20involves%20a%20table%2C%20usually,a%20red%20or%20yellow%20ribbon.

The kind neighbor who sends food is also a veteran.

Cheerful

Yes, indeed, clean.

Always grateful for U.S. veterans, for so many reasons.

quasihumanist

It's the one holiday I observe on Facebook.

I post a link to a performance of Britten's War Requiem