News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Break

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, November 18, 2022, 05:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

This week I will be taking a much needed rest (I hope). Yes, I'll still be grading, prepping, etc., but from the comfort of my home. I'm also staying away from toxic family, so that should do wonders for my mental health- SO and I are having a quiet meal without them (I hope, unless they force their way into the house).

On another note (based on another thread), I hope I haven't offended anyone here. I know I'm a big cusser (you should hear me driving in rush hour traffic). I enjoy this forum, for the most part, and I don't want to piss anyone off, but I can't please everyone! :)

Wishing everyone some kind of rest and relaxation over break. What will you be doing?

apl68

I appreciate when posters (and people in the analog world) show more restraint in their language, but this has become one of many things in our society that we can now only hope for, not try to demand.

I hope that you have a relaxing break.  I'm sorry that you have family that you feel you just can't be with.  I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the loved ones I am still able to spend each Thanksgiving and Christmas with.  For me, Thanksgiving break will take the form of a four-day weekend.  It's good to work for a municipal employer that recognizes all the major holidays! 

I only wish my brother and his family could be there with us for Thanksgiving, but he lives multiple states away now.  It'll just be me and Mom and Dad (still well at 79).  And maybe their semi-hermit friend who lives in a cabin on their land, if he doesn't end up spending the day with his own family.  He sometimes celebrates with us.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Harlow2

We will have a small gathering (will miss 2 family members) & small "feast." No stress. I will do some grading, but I'll also be out on the trail for 2 days in geographically different places that I don't usually hike but are only an hour away. 

I remember the first time I dared to curse out loud as a teenager. My key got stuck in the garage door, but with a loud "damn" it suddenly turned and the door opened. I have never since underestimated the power of language.

Here's to a similarly stress-free and linguistically satisfying break!

AmLitHist

EPW, we should get together sometime and converse in our mutual second language. 

Your plans sound like mine--and I'm looking forward to the holiday. I should even have a lull in grading. A turkey breast, a dish of dressing, some scalloped corn, and pumpkin pies with whipped cream will do it for us.

Sun_Worshiper

Traveling cross-country to see family. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone (not so much to the traveling itself), but lots of work to do in the meantime. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but the timing so close to the end of the semester is not so great. Anyway, I'm going to put my misgivings aside and enjoy the gluttony.