News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Tipping and tipping norms

Started by Sun_Worshiper, February 16, 2023, 07:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Quote from: lightning on March 11, 2023, 01:45:17 PM
Something that I have only recently noticed . . . well, recently, because for most of my life restaurant receipts didn't have the 15%/18%/20%/25% tip amount pre-calculated for me at the bottom of the receipt (which I assume is for the customers who can't do arithmetic in their head) . . .

I've noticed that these pre-calculated amounts are calculated against the total final price before tip (cost of menu items + tax) and not against just the pre-tax total price. I always thought that sit-down restaurant tips were calculated on the pre-tax total price and then the taxes were added to the total paid after the tip was added.

Tips are supposed to be calculated on pre-tax total. I tip in cash on the pre-tax total, at restaurants with table service. I don't tip for drive through service or counter service at food establishments. I generally pay the bill in cash, too.

I leave a cash tip on desk in hotel room the first day. If the room gets cleaned, I leave another cash tip for the next day. If the room doesn't get cleaned, I don't increase the amount.

I avoid those restaurants with the little touch screen order and pay screens at the table. When I choose a full service restaurant, I want to be able ask a question or make a request. Interacting with server is part of the full service restaurant experience.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Kron3007

I personally dont mind the concept of tipping, but it should not replace real wages and should be a bonus for going above and beyond rather than an expectation and wage subsidy.

One aspect that really bothers me though, which may have come up here, is that it is calculated as a % of the bill.  If I go to an affordable family restaurant and have great service and tip 20%, the server would not get as much as the waiter in a fancy restaurant that I didn't particularly like and tipped 15%.  If I decide to drink a beer or ten instead of pop, all the sudden I need to tip more despite it being the same work.  It is simply a matter of inequity IMO.  I always felt the worst for the staff working at low end buffet restaurants, who are working just as hard but getting crumbs.

This is even worse as bars, where you are usually expected to tip a dollar per drink (at least, I dont get out much and could be out of date).  I dont see how pouring me a beer is really going above and beyond or why I am paying extra for that "service".     

kaysixteen

Hmm... if the barman pours say 30 drinks an hour, he can clear 30 bucks just on tips.   Nice work if you can get it.