News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ways to use a large screen

Started by downer, March 01, 2023, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I have an old desktop that I use mostly for grading online classes. I have a large monitor to use with it. It runs Windows 7. It runs slowly. It's probably not very secure at this stage, although security isn't my biggest issue, since I use both a Windows 10 laptop, a Chromebook and a smart phone for financial transactions.

I was thinking of getting a mini PC to replace the desktop to use with the large monitor. You can buy them on Amazon for about $200-$300 running Windows 11. They don't seem to come loaded with much memory and some need to require some set up.

I could just plug the large monitor into my Windows 10 laptop instead. But I remain tempted to try a mini PC because it could be nice have a fast and up to date desktop equivalent.

Does anyone have experience of using a Mini PC? Does it require a lot of technical skill to get it working?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: downer on March 01, 2023, 09:57:39 AM
I have an old desktop that I use mostly for grading online classes. I have a large monitor to use with it. It runs Windows 7. It runs slowly. It's probably not very secure at this stage, although security isn't my biggest issue, since I use both a Windows 10 laptop, a Chromebook and a smart phone for financial transactions.

I was thinking of getting a mini PC to replace the desktop to use with the large monitor. You can buy them on Amazon for about $200-$300 running Windows 11. They don't seem to come loaded with much memory and some need to require some set up.

I could just plug the large monitor into my Windows 10 laptop instead. But I remain tempted to try a mini PC because it could be nice have a fast and up to date desktop equivalent.

Does anyone have experience of using a Mini PC? Does it require a lot of technical skill to get it working?

They aren't exactly the same, but when I was traveling abroad years ago I brought a really cheap laptop which is probably kind of equivalent to this. I basically just wanted something that if it got stolen, I wouldn't really care. It was fine, sort of, but everything was kind of slow and glitchy. Do you just find it easier to grade with a larger screen?

downer

Yes, when using a rubric with discussion or with a paper. It is doable on a laptop but it means moving things around all the time.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

clean

You can probably get a docking station for the laptop.  Nothing would have to be moved around. 
You COULD move it around if you wanted, but once it was plugged into the docking station, it is a desktop type machine. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader