News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Where do you get your news and analysis?

Started by Sun_Worshiper, July 18, 2023, 07:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

What newspapers/sites do you read? What do you watch? Turn us on to your favorite sources for information.

apl68

The Arkansas Democrat/Gazette (our principal state paper)

The New York Times (Actual paper subscription--when it arrives, anywhere from several days to a couple of weeks late--apparently subscribers in Flyover Country don't deserve the greatness of their publication)

Our local weekly.  Not a bad little paper.  It's still locally-owned, still has its own in-house printing--in color, no less!--and has a youngish editor who has done good things with it in recent years.  I write a weekly public library column for it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

MarathonRunner

CBC News (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). CTV News. Globe and Mail. National Post. Global News. (All Canadian).

Foreign: Deutsche Welle. BBC.

Local newspapers.

Those are the main ones.

Parasaurolophus

Most of my news comes from CBC.ca/news and CBC Radio One.

I'll periodically check out Current Affairs, Mother Jones, Jacobin, and the LGM blog for fun bits. I enjoy listening to Slate's Political Gabfest each week, although I find it frustrating and it frequently riles me up a bit.

There used to be more, especially magazines like Maclean's and Harper's, but they've become intolerably awful, IMO.
I know it's a genus.

financeguy

The Hill, Breaking Points, TYT Network and online independent content creators or podcasters that are largely or exclusively viewer funded. I specifically avoid print and tv legacy media. If you are funded by a pharmaceutical company or defense contractor, I will not consume your content. (ABC, NBC, CBS, NYT, WP etc are out...)

Sun_Worshiper

I get morning emails from the NYT, WP, the Guardian, and the Conversation, as well as the local paper, and I look them all over. I also get emails from CHE and the Economist, but I usually hit paywalls when I try to read their articles.

I also subscribe to podcasts from 538, Foreign Affairs, and Right, Left and Center, and I listen to each of them when time and interest permit.

And I see lots of random things through social media or news clips on YouTube.

jimbogumbo

WaPo, CNN, Fox, The Hill, Politico, NPR, Denver Post, Forbes, various things on Apple News, BBC

and the odious Real Clear Politics site

sinenomine

CNN, BBC, my statewide news, a couple local news programs, my local paper, and recommendations from trusted friends.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ciao_yall

Online - New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post and Guardian UK.

I also subscribe to the New Yorker and Economist.

apl68

I read New Yorker regularly, and our library subscription of Wall Street Journal occasionally.  Sometimes I read some of the online publications mentioned above, like Politico.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Hegemony

The Guardian, the New York Times, the New Yorker. Articles from the Washington Post posted by other people.

Diogenes

Nationally, NPR. Locally our main newspaper is still decent. There is really good hyperlocal news shows both on the FM community radio station and a podcast via City Cast. It's worth looking to see if your city has a City Cast affiliate yet https://citycast.fm/

kaysixteen

dismalist

Not the NYT, the WaPO, NPR, CNN, the Guardian, BBC, the New Yorker, and the other suspects.

The Wall Street Journal is almost bearable. I pay only at sharply reduced rates.

I read the headlines from the google aggregator daily, but check out at most two articles per day. When I was a kid, I used to laugh at a distant aunt who only read headlines in a newspaper. Now I do it myself!

The analysis I do myself. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jerseyjay

I subscribe to the NYT, New Yorker, London Review of Books, and NYRB in physical copies. I read the NYT on the stationary bike at the gym.

I read the local tabloid, the NYPost, and the Guardian online on occasion.

For foreign sources, I look at the BBC, RT, El Tiempo (Bogotá), El País (Madrid), Folha de S. Paulo and Corriere della Sera on occasion.