News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Tomorrow's event is going to go ahead as planned, fingers crossed.  I'm pretty worried about it.

The extended forecast is calling for more chilly weather.  I'm beginning to think that February and March have swapped places this year.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on March 15, 2023, 01:03:28 PM
I'm beginning to think that February and March have swapped places this year.

We have been having winter in March.  Almost no snow until now and then day-long flurries.  Hard frigid winds.  Near white out conditions.  But the snow does not stick.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

First frost I've seen in the latter part of March in several years.  Maybe the first frost I've seen at any time in March in years.  Until recently it was quite common in the earlier part of the month.  We've been having some absolutely beautiful days lately, though.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Juvenal

The crocuses are tired; the forsythia is eager to begin to show off.  The hesitant snow dusting of a few days ago is long gone, and it was only the second feeble try this winter.  My neighbor needs to put the snowblower back in his shed.
Cranky septuagenarian

apl68

We've been warned to expect potentially dire weather within the next two or three hours.  It's got people around here worried.  Rumor has it that legions of storm chasers are converging on our county expecting something to happen.  I just learned that the local high school has been opened as a shelter.  We have two rooms here at the library that can serve as safe rooms if need be.

Hope we don't lose power. 

sinenomine

Good luck, apl68!

After a week of Spring weather, we've got ice and snow in tomorrow's forecast. My driving to a conference will depend on road conditions.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

It's pouring down hard right now.  The thunder has been booming loudly.  Temperatures are dropping fast.  No indications of a tornado so far.

Hope you can have good road conditions, sinenomine!

apl68

The rain had stopped by the time we closed down.  My walk home takes me through a low-lying intersection about two blocks down from the library.  It was flooded like I'd never seen it before.  Even the yards to the sides of it were flooded.  It proved impossible for me to get home without passing through cold, ankle-deep water.  The street drains were working fine--the fantastic downpour was just too much for them to handle. 

We got additional rain later that evening.  The houses around here are elevated enough that they didn't flood, but I'm concerned that others in lower-lying parts of town may have done so.  We didn't have any local wind damage or power outages that I've heard about so far.

I learned this morning that they had some appalling storm damage and loss of life in Mississippi to the east of us.

AmLitHist

Windy and sultry here--woke up to temps in the low 60s.  Another "feels like tornado weather" day, and nearly the whole state is in the red (high risk) area on the weather maps.  We just went under a tornado watch until 8 tonight.

hmaria1609

High winds warning for the metro DC area:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2023/04/high-wind-warning-potential-for-scattered-storms-power-outages-saturday-in-dc-area/
The MD Transportation Authority closed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to drivers because of the winds.

We also had warm temps today.

apl68

We had fine weather for our rescheduled event last Thursday.  The following Friday's severe weather missed us entirely.  We didn't even have rain that evening.  But it tore through central Arkansas.  The town of Wynne had several fatalities and was largely destroyed.

We had heavy rain without winds last night.  More severe weather in the forecast for later in the week.

Meanwhile we're looking at temperature spikes up into the mid-80s today and tomorrow, and the HVAC system is still not fixed.

Wahoo Redux

Just got our @$#@Q! power back.  And now it gets pleasantly warm.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

We had heavy thunderstorms off and on all night long and into this morning.  I don't believe I've ever heard so much thunder in one night, or so many huge bangs at different times.  It sounded like multiple trees or electrical transformers must have been destroyed within a block of my house.  But I didn't see any blasted trees on my morning walk, and there were no power issues at my house.  I did walk past one section of street where I thought I heard backup generators running.

A quick check of the news this morning indicates no serious weather-related damage in our state.  Missouri had a fatal tornado yesterday, hard on the heels of the recent multi-state outbreak.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Parasaurolophus

April's endless showers.
I know it's a genus.