Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

We used to be strongly encouraged to use the printing services, despite orders that didn't arrive, exams that weren't necessarily attributed to the right instructor, etc. Then someone pointed out that the department was charged the same whether we used the printing services or our local printers. Now we use the local printers.

apl68

Our R1 library was the printing service, as far as some faculty seemed to be concerned.  Photocopies cost money, but printing from a library computer was free.  If you could print a syllabus, flyer, etc. that way, you could print whole reams of paper for free.  That said, it was the students who abused it much more than faculty members.

Our public library is now the printing service for our small town.  Only yesterday a local business came by and did an astonishing amount of copying on our machines.  We had to use both public and staff copiers to get them all done in a timely manner.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mythbuster

What is this printing service you all complain about? I have to wrangle with the 30 other members of my department for time on the one copy machine to print out the exams for my 200 person lecture myself. I have found before 8 am to be the best time to get the machine before it invariably breaks down right before finals. First world problems indeed.

mamselle

One of the things every TT staff member I knew of had was a private personal printer.

At one place, IT didn't like it; they had to inventory them all and put serial numbers and security locks on them because most were paid for with grant funds.

A few people figured out that system and bought their own with their own money (some covered the ink themselves, as well).

Then they had to define they were NOT grant-funded items everytime a new IT person came around.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

I have a personal color printer in my office.  My issue is that I have HUGE classes.  I can't print & staple 500+ copies of a worksheet/lab assignment/etc. every week.  And that's just for one class.  Even if I had the time (ha ha), the department would get rather suspicious if I needed to order more ink that often.

the_geneticist

TAs, the reason I said "NO SLIDES" for lab is because:

1. all images/tables the students need to see are in the lab manual
2. we expect students to read the protocols before lab
3. we expect students to read the syllabus before lab
4. I know that you will spend TOO MUCH TIME TALKING at the students

Do not tell me "oh, I thought it would be best if I go over the lab with them" and then wonder why they rushed to finish.
No.
Just no.

I'm going to unplug the projectors.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I have a student who is very, very needy and wants confirmation on everything. Stu asked if we are having class today since it's raining. Sigh. I can't wait for this semester to end. I need a break.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 05, 2022, 06:20:56 AM
I have a student who is very, very needy and wants confirmation on everything. Stu asked if we are having class today since it's raining. Sigh. I can't wait for this semester to end. I need a break.

Do you have my student from last semester?

That student now wants to be a peer assistant for the class next fall. I tried my best to discourage him and got pretty blunt about how he would have to be far, far more independent than he was while taking the class. Stu does not read social cues well so I've found I have to be super direct but even then he often doesn't get it. He does well in terms of grades, but is very immature in his socio-emotional development.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

arcturus

Given your moniker, I am surprised that you are not more sympathetic to students who channel wicked-witch-of-the-west as their alter ego. Such students are naturally afraid of water in all its forms. It is time for a new motto: Rain and snow ... stays these [students] from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on April 05, 2022, 06:53:05 AM

Given your moniker, I am surprised that you are not more sympathetic to students who channel wicked-witch-of-the-west as their alter ego. Such students are naturally afraid of water in all its forms. It is time for a new motto: Rain and snow ... stays these [students] from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

True. I'm like a cat and hate getting wet, unless it is intentional.

I forgot to mention that this student has a new bit of drama almost every week and it's just exhausting dealing with stu. I need to disengage.

smallcleanrat

I'm guessing this is just use-an-umbrella type of rain?

Not entire-roads-unusable-due-to-flooding type of rain?

Parasaurolophus

Wooow.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 05, 2022, 07:37:20 AM

I'm guessing this is just use-an-umbrella type of rain?

Not entire-roads-unusable-due-to-flooding type of rain?

Correct. Well, we may have some 'severe' thunderstorms. My motto is 'When in doubt- stay home, but don't ask me if we're still having class. We will always have class unless the College cancels class.'

Ruralguy

Stu must be from SoCal.....the only place I lived that has school cancellation reports on rainy or windy days.

the_geneticist

I think I have your student's clone.  So. Many. Emails.  And it's only week 2 for us . . .

I said they could bring in a [thing] for extra credit since they will need said [thing] for lab next week.  Label it, put in the [designated spot] and I'll make sure it's in their lab next week.
They have asked: can I bring a [thing]?, can it be a [certain color of thing]?, do I need to put it in the [designated spot]?  If they have lab on [Day B], can they bring it on [Day A]?  If they have to commute to campus, can they bring it in the morning?

OMG.  I've just been replying "see my announcement on the LMS".