Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: artalot on October 18, 2022, 09:50:04 AM
Dear Prof. artalot,
Can I have an extension on the essay? My allergies are really acting up.

I've heard it all. I don't even know what to say to that.

I mean...allergies can be really severe and could make it hard to do work. If students ask for extensions, I give them unless there's some reason not to. Better than gnashing teeth about it.

Caracal

Quote from: Caracal on October 18, 2022, 05:49:49 PM
Dear Prof. artalot,

I mean...allergies can be really severe and could make it hard to do work. If students ask for extensions on major assignments, I just grant them unless there's some reason not to. Better than gnashing teeth about it.

marshwiggle

Dear Prof. artalot,

I mean...allergies can be really severe and could make it hard to do work. If students ask for extensions, I give them unless there's some reason not to. Better than gnashing teeth about it.

Part of the problem I see with a request like that is that it's extremely vague and open-ended. How much of an extension? How frequently do the person's allergies "act up"? What if they "act up" at the time of the final exam?

This is a potential hole with no bottom.
It takes so little to be above average.

artalot

Also, my allergies act up, too. You know what, I still have to get stuff done. I don't think it prepares them for work after college if they can't differentiate between something that requires OTC medication and something that warrants an extension. And, it's not as if this assignment popped out of the blue - we've been talking about it in class for weeks and all students were required to have a one-on-one meeting with me to report on their progress, ask questions, etc.

marshwiggle

Quote from: artalot on October 19, 2022, 09:46:35 AM
Also, my allergies act up, too. You know what, I still have to get stuff done. I don't think it prepares them for work after college if they can't differentiate between something that requires OTC medication and something that warrants an extension. And, it's not as if this assignment popped out of the blue - we've been talking about it in class for weeks and all students were required to have a one-on-one meeting with me to report on their progress, ask questions, etc.

Yesterday I had a student ask how many more lectures there were, because it was so hard to get up for 8:30 lectures. Yeah, that's why robots deliver them so no instructor has to get up for 8:30. Oh, wait......

It takes so little to be above average.

Puget

Today so far I've had:
1. Student who got a 45% on the first exam. Said she didn't know what to study. Did she use the study guide I provided? No. Did she use the learning check questions on the CMS to study? No. Did she use any active study strategies at all? Also no. Did she watch the study strategies video I made for them and posted prominently at the top of the CMS page and also suggested multiple times they watch? Lol obviously no. OK then, I think we've identified why you did poorly.

2. Student who emailed at 11:30 PM last night that their computer crashed and they hadn't saved their assignment (due at midnight) so could they please have an extension? Emailed again this morning that the computer crash resulted in them losing all their files including their grad school application materials so they are freaking out and need a further extension. How do you get to senior year without learning to back up your files? Digital natives my ass. Also probably a sign you aren't ready for grad school.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

the_geneticist

Students are bringing in [basket reeds] for their project & get a few extra credit points.  But it's amazing how many them email me/stop me in the hall saying "I brought in [basket reeds].  When will you update my grade?  I don't see my extra credit." 
When did they bring them?
That same day, less than an hour ago.

Students, there are 500 of you and just 1 of me.  I promise it will get done, but not at this very moment. 

Liquidambar

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 19, 2022, 11:18:21 AM
Students are bringing in [basket reeds] for their project & get a few extra credit points.

Given your user name, I am picturing "basket reeds" as code for "fruit flies."
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

the_geneticist

Quote from: Liquidambar on October 19, 2022, 01:00:29 PM
Students are bringing in [basket reeds] for their project & get a few extra credit points.

Not fruit flies, but that would be awesome to have them bring!  Although I imagine I'd get a range of "flying critters", many of which would not be fruit flies (fungus gnats, tiny moths, house flies, etc.)

Puget

I ask in class today what their first word was and when they said it. They always used to have answers, but this year they have no idea. I ask if they just never talk to their parents? Awkward laughter. I assign them to ask their parents before the next class.

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 19, 2022, 04:31:29 PM
Quote from: Liquidambar on October 19, 2022, 01:00:29 PM

Not fruit flies, but that would be awesome to have them bring!  Although I imagine I'd get a range of "flying critters", many of which would not be fruit flies (fungus gnats, tiny moths, house flies, etc.)

If you would like fruit flies, I can give you with an endless supply of "wild type" from my compost bin.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

fizzycist

This month I gave an overly hard exam, managed to lose a student's exam before grading it, and have spent 10:1 prep:class time on boring ppt lectures with clicker problems 1/2 the class can't solve. This is with teaching load of 1 class Ive taught before. Dunno how y'all do it

EdnaMode

I'm thinking of imposing a ban on all questions, whether in class, or via email, or any other method of communication, that contain the phrase "just double-checking" unless the student(s) can identify that I have made some sort of mistake in the instructions - said something in step A that I contradict in step B - or have a dropbox closing a minute after it's opening, etc. And anyone who asks such a question that does not identify an error on my part gets to ask no more questions that day. Ugh. I'm not such a meanie that I would actually ban questions but I'm seriously sick and tired of the "double-checking." Yes, Stu, there really is such thing as a stupid question, you just asked one. I have a colleague who wants to ban any excuses that contain the phrase "I just noticed..." It's week 9 of the semester, and I'm wishing desperately it was Thanksgiving break next week. These first-years are killing me!
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

secundem_artem

Dear Prof. artalot,

A friend of mine has seasonal allergies so severe he throws a fever and requires systemic steroids.  Your student may not be trying to pull a fast one.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

the_geneticist

Quote from: EdnaMode on October 20, 2022, 10:53:43 AM
I'm thinking of imposing a ban on all questions, whether in class, or via email, or any other method of communication, that contain the phrase "just double-checking" unless the student(s) can identify that I have made some sort of mistake in the instructions - said something in step A that I contradict in step B - or have a dropbox closing a minute after it's opening, etc. And anyone who asks such a question that does not identify an error on my part gets to ask no more questions that day. Ugh. I'm not such a meanie that I would actually ban questions but I'm seriously sick and tired of the "double-checking." Yes, Stu, there really is such thing as a stupid question, you just asked one. I have a colleague who wants to ban any excuses that contain the phrase "I just noticed..." It's week 9 of the semester, and I'm wishing desperately it was Thanksgiving break next week. These first-years are killing me!

I'd reply with "The instructions/due date/syllabus information is correct"

I got a TON of these emails in the start of Fall because the first day of lectures is a Thursday.  Labs are MTWTh so the first day of lab is the first full week. 
It's in the syllabus, it's on the online class description, it's in the "Welcome To Class" announcement.  It's even on a giant pink piece of paper taped to the lab doors. 

"I know [the syllabus/your announcement/the door] says lab doesn't meet this week, but I wanted to double-check that I don't need to go."

One round of "The dates in the syllabus are correct" and they don't write back.  Usually.

I also get sad & confused students trying to open the doors to the lab rooms.  Do you not see the GIANT piece of pink paper saying "[Basketweaving 101] labs start [dates that are next week]"

Seriously, what would they do if I said "Hah!  You have solved the riddle!  You have been chosen to be the only student that has to attend lab this Monday, even though the term hasn't started yet."

secundem_artem

Not really a teaching issue but some of you teach in this field and it happened in a classroom so.......

My non-physics course classroom is in the physics department.  Today, I found what may have been the leftovers from some weird teaching experiment.  In the corner of the room were: (1) a bicycle wheel with no tire, but a 4" wooden handle coming out of the hub on each side; (2) what looks vaguely like a gyroscope; (3) a Dremel tool; (4) several electric cords.

What in the name of Nic Tesla is this stuff used for?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances