Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 03, 2022, 11:30:14 AM
One of my pain-in-the-ass students decided to turn in a lab report nine days late. Oh well, you just lost 90% of your grade. I don't know how many times I tell them that there is a 10% loss each day. This student will find out the hard way and I'm sure I'll get a large dose of emotional manipulating language, which I really don't want to deal with. I'm way too overwhelmed at the moment. Even if I weren't overwhelmed- I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Remember the LarryC quote we should all have tattooed in mirror image on our foreheads: Our job is to report the results of their efforts.

Or something close. I really should have gotten that tattoo.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on November 05, 2022, 06:23:11 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 03, 2022, 11:30:14 AM
One of my pain-in-the-ass students decided to turn in a lab report nine days late. Oh well, you just lost 90% of your grade. I don't know how many times I tell them that there is a 10% loss each day. This student will find out the hard way and I'm sure I'll get a large dose of emotional manipulating language, which I really don't want to deal with. I'm way too overwhelmed at the moment. Even if I weren't overwhelmed- I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Remember the LarryC quote we should all have tattooed in mirror image on our foreheads: Our job is to report the results of their efforts.

Or something close. I really should have gotten that tattoo.

Right. I know. I've just been in a grumpy funk lately, so all of the usual crap students throw my way just seems to hit harder.

Parasaurolophus

One of the essay topics I gave in my intro ethics class (they're timed and randomly assigned) was about how an ethics professor should handle a case of plagiarism.

At least one student plagiarized their answer.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 06, 2022, 03:52:31 PM
One of the essay topics I gave in my intro ethics class (they're timed and randomly assigned) was about how an ethics professor should handle a case of plagiarism.

So many performative dimensions...

The most important question, of course, is whether the student provided an appropriate approach for you to follow. I mean, it seems like step-by-step instructions.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on November 06, 2022, 04:28:52 PM

The most important question, of course, is whether the student provided an appropriate approach for you to follow. I mean, it seems like step-by-step instructions.

Alas, they did, and I complied with their instructions!
I know it's a genus.

Stockmann

Yeah, that's particularly headbanging-worthy, Parasaurolophus.

In other quiz-related shenanigans, a student nearly handed in his quiz with no name on it. Apparently he handed in the previous with no name, either. The quiz before that? Didn't take it. Somehow I'm not very optimistic about his chances of passing...

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 06, 2022, 06:02:21 PM
Quote from: traductio on November 06, 2022, 04:28:52 PM

Alas, they did, and I complied with their instructions!

So do they get bonus points for providing such an approved solution?
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Mahag: Your midterm grade is "D." (Explains what needs improvement)
Female student who always dresses with minimal covering of flesh: "Is there any way I can end up with a B in this course?"
Mahag: "Yes. Starting coming class on time and study better."

Sounds professional enough, doesn't it? If only it worked more often.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mahagonny on November 07, 2022, 03:39:15 PM
Mahag: Your midterm grade is "D." (Explains what needs improvement)
Female student who always dresses with minimal covering of flesh: "Is there any way I can end up with a B in this course?"
Mahag: "Yes. Starting coming class on time and study better."

Sounds professional enough, doesn't it? If only it worked more often.

There are [X many] points available in the course.  To earn a B, you would need [Y of X] points.  I suggest you focus on [the final exam/your presentation/creating a complete portfolio]
OR
There are [X many] points available in the course.  It is not mathematically possible for you to earn a B.

Anon1787

Stu asks two questions in a row about an assignment (which I have used multiple times) that are addressed in the instructions and that I explained in class. Stu is still very confused. I was likewise very confused by several of Stu's answers on the midterm. I suspect that Stu's reading comprehension is barely at the 6th grade level.

bio-nonymous

Student cannot figure out how to calculate their grade. It is in the syllabus. I went over it in a video posted to the LMS. I discussed on the class announcement board. I discussed it in person in class. These are future medical professionals in graduate school.

Sigh...

AmLitHist

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 07, 2022, 07:04:18 PM
There are [X many] points available in the course.  To earn a B, you would need [Y of X] points.  I suggest you focus on [the final exam/your presentation/creating a complete portfolio]
OR
There are [X many] points available in the course.  It is not mathematically possible for you to earn a B.
[/b]
Ah, yes--we're in Week 12, and I actually wrote up a form letter with the above for my (10-person) F2F Comp II class later today.  Several fall in that bolded category, with several more nearly there.  Only one is guaranteed a C, and could bring it up to a B.

I've had this situation before, and it makes the final few weeks pure hell:  the ones who remain really don't need a lot of help, so we just put in time and chug along to the end; most of those who remain and who could get Cs often just flake out after the LDW and end up with a D or F.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: bio-nonymous on November 08, 2022, 05:18:08 AM
Student cannot figure out how to calculate their grade. It is in the syllabus. I went over it in a video posted to the LMS. I discussed on the class announcement board. I discussed it in person in class. These are future medical professionals in graduate school.

Sigh...

This always makes me despair, because it's really not that hard. And it's one of the few basic math skills that is commonly used outside the high school classroom. Which, for them, was just a couple of years ago. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 08, 2022, 07:21:31 AM
Quote from: bio-nonymous on November 08, 2022, 05:18:08 AM

Sigh...

This always makes me despair, because it's really not that hard. And it's one of the few basic math skills that is commonly used outside the high school classroom. Which, for them, was just a couple of years ago. Sigh.

I wonder if it's as much of a math issue as an *autonomy issue; they often prefer getting someone in authority to tell them something explicitly rather than rely on their own ability to follow the prescribed procedure, whether there's math involved or not. It doesn't seem so much like laziness as a lack of understanding of the point of learning to do something themselves. I put it down to growing up with Google, so they expect "the answer" to any question is something someone else already knows, so them having to figure it out is just hoop-jumping. The idea that there's any question that they themselves would have to investigate in order to answer is incomprehensible.

* or perhaps "agency"
It takes so little to be above average.

EdnaMode

Week 12 of the semester and I have had to point out to 3 students in a lab section of 24 that they confused radius and diameter.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.