Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artalot

My situation is similar to fosca's except we're also required to go into the system at three points during the semester and list concerns - there's a whole range of things we have to track, from attendance to submitting weekly work, large assignments, etc. And we're supposed to go in at any time if they're ghosting, missing major assignments, or really if we suspect anything is happening. It's really time consuming and a ridiculous amount of oversight for people who are supposed to be adults. And since we too lost most of our academic advisers to better paying jobs elsewhere, very little happens.

AmLitHist

A Comp I student--who is at my CC after two years at a regional state school--just used the term "golly goo" in a formal paper ("I was happy to see one of our roommates leave, but golly goo if I'd known who the new one would be. . . ").

WTLF?  Seriously?  This is where I finally gave up and stopped marking, particularly since, in addition, the paper was 1359 words on a 10% over/under 750 words target, AND the only sentence-ending periods were at the ends of page-long paragraphs (all the rest was comma splices).

<insert your own observation about why she is back home at a CC>

So much for getting up before dawn on a Sunday to quickly catch up my grading and enjoy a happy day. . . .

fishbrains

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 05, 2023, 04:24:33 AM
A Comp I student--who is at my CC after two years at a regional state school--just used the term "golly goo" in a formal paper ("I was happy to see one of our roommates leave, but golly goo if I'd known who the new one would be. . . ").

WTLF?  Seriously?  This is where I finally gave up and stopped marking, particularly since, in addition, the paper was 1359 words on a 10% over/under 750 words target, AND the only sentence-ending periods were at the ends of page-long paragraphs (all the rest was comma splices).

So much for getting up before dawn on a Sunday to quickly catch up my grading and enjoy a happy day. . . .

Good golly goo this made me giggle!

Grading rule #3: Don't start grading at a time or place you can't pour a glass of something. :)
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

AmLitHist

Quote from: fishbrains on February 05, 2023, 06:34:55 AM

Good golly goo this made me giggle!

Grading rule #3: Don't start grading at a time or place you can't pour a glass of something. :)

IS there such a time?  :-)  Actually, I don't drink any more, but there were Hershey's Kisses consumed in lieu of alcohol.

fishbrains

Before dawn is that strange gray area of time where you're not sure if you're still drinking from the night before or beginning a brand new day of activities.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

Guess ChatGPT really choked on that one....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

darkstarrynight

Now I need to find a way to use golly goo in a sentence today.

EdnaMode

In lecture I told them, in lab I did a demo, and on the handout (bold and underlined) it says specifically, to express [answer] as a fraction, not a decimal, because that is the standard format. Stu, who never bothers to read the instructions, expressed everything as decimals. Any bets as to whether he cries unfair when he receives his grade?
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

marshwiggle

Quote from: EdnaMode on February 06, 2023, 12:19:54 PM
In lecture I told them, in lab I did a demo, and on the handout (bold and underlined) it says specifically, to express [answer] as a fraction, not a decimal, because that is the standard format. Stu, who never bothers to read the instructions, expressed everything as decimals. Any bets as to whether he cries unfair when he receives his grade?

Give him his grade as a sum of fractions.
It takes so little to be above average.

EdnaMode

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 06, 2023, 12:29:31 PM

I'm SO tempted to do that.

dismalist

C'mon guys:

Determining a result of 1/4 is the same as determining a result of 0.25! A problem can only arise if it takes one helluva lot of significant digits to get an exact fraction.

What kinda' science are you guys in? A ten digit science? A twenty digit science? How many digits you need? Me, I'm in an only three digit science. :-)

Reminds me of my time in second grade. There was an assignment to color in half a circle, given to us kids on paper as a circle with quarter segments. I colored in two opposite quarters and teacher said it was wrong, holding up my work as an example of an incorrect answer. I knew she was wrong, and I think most other kids saw she was wrong, but she had the power. I've never forgotten from about 64 years ago.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

EdnaMode

Quote from: dismalist on February 06, 2023, 12:52:12 PM

C'mon guys:

Determining a result of 1/4 is the same as determining a result of 0.25! A problem can only arise if it takes one helluva lot of significant digits to get an exact fraction.

What kinda' science are you guys in? A ten digit science? A twenty digit science? How many digits you need? Me, I'm in an only three digit science. :-)

Reminds me of my time in second grade. There was an assignment to color in half a circle, given to us kids on paper as a circle with quarter segments. I colored in two opposite quarters and teacher said it was wrong, holding up my work as an example of an incorrect answer. I knew she was wrong, and I think most other kids saw she was wrong, but she had the power. I've never forgotten from about 64 years ago.

I'm in mechanical engineering and according to certain ANSI and ASME standards, some things are always expressed as a fraction, which is why we require it because it's what's generally expected in industry. Also, depending on what they are working on, especially when it comes to GD&T standards, we can be 2-place, 3-place, or more when it comes to decimals when we're considering how round is round, how flat is flat, etc.

dismalist

Quote from: EdnaMode on February 06, 2023, 12:57:06 PM

C'mon guys:

I'm in mechanical engineering and according to certain ANSI and ASME standards, some things are always expressed as a fraction, which is why we require it because it's what's generally expected in industry. Also, depending on what they are working on, especially when it comes to GD&T standards, we can be 2-place, 3-place, or more when it comes to decimals when we're considering how round is round, how flat is flat, etc.

Ah, conventions. That's fine, conventions must be, for they are useful. But it doesn't make the kid's answer wrong. He is violating a convention.

I'm glad to hear that sometimes two and three significant digits behind the decimal place is enough for you guys! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

arcturus

Quote from: dismalist on February 06, 2023, 01:19:34 PM

C'mon guys:

Ah, conventions. That's fine, conventions must be, for they are useful. But it doesn't make the kid's answer wrong. He is violating a convention.

I'm glad to hear that sometimes two and three significant digits behind the decimal place is enough for you guys! :-)
I am in a two or three significant digit science. When students write down the ten digits provided by their calculators, they are wrong too.

dismalist

Quote from: arcturus on February 06, 2023, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: dismalist on February 06, 2023, 01:19:34 PM

C'mon guys:

I am in a two or three significant digit science. When students write down the ten digits provided by their calculators, they are wrong too.

I missed the rounding class in junior high school. Took me a while to figure it out myself. :-)

Am glad you, too, are in a low significant digit field! What we have here is a rounding problem.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli