Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Thanks for that, Marshwiggle--I thought I'd heard there was a connection to Skype but didn't dig into it.  I wasn't a fan of Skype to start with, so. . . .

kiana

"I don't have enough time to watch the lecture videos because it is taking me so long to do the homework."

mythbuster

Kiana- by chance might the lecture videos. . .  explain how to do the homework?

kiana

Quote from: mythbuster on September 04, 2020, 08:24:33 AM
Kiana- by chance might the lecture videos. . .  explain how to do the homework?

*gasp* What a revolutionary idea!

sinenomine

Quote from: kiana on September 04, 2020, 06:30:45 AM
"I don't have enough time to watch the lecture videos because it is taking me so long to do the homework."

I recently took some online courses, which was a great opportunity to see things through a student's eyes. I quickly realized how much I disliked video lectures; where transcripts were available, I used those. As an instructor, I now provide transcripts of all videos that I make for my courses.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

kiana

Quote from: sinenomine on September 04, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
Quote from: kiana on September 04, 2020, 06:30:45 AM

I recently took some online courses, which was a great opportunity to see things through a student's eyes. I quickly realized how much I disliked video lectures; where transcripts were available, I used those. As an instructor, I now provide transcripts of all videos that I make for my courses.

For some subjects maybe; for math they do really, really badly at reading it in text.

But if someone hated videos they could easily get the information they wanted by turning on CC and fastforwarding through.

AmLitHist

Quote from: kiana on September 04, 2020, 11:55:40 AM

But if someone hated videos they could easily get the information they wanted by turning on CC and fastforwarding through.

This is how I do all my college-mandated idiotic training classes (one or two out of the 15+ we're required to take every year is worthwhile; the others, idiotic:  "When speaking with a student in a wheelchair, do not put your foot on the arm of the wheelchair, as this might be seen as offensive").  I either do the closed-caption fast reading, or I let the audio run and work on something else, then take te quiz when the talking stops. (These are all set so that the video must run the entire allotted time before we can take the quiz.)

AmLitHist

Blackboard (including Collaborate, but also simple things like "create thread" buttons in discussion boards and portions of my instructions for assignments randomly disappearing) is going to be the death of me.

cathwen

This qualifies for Favorite Student Emails, but it has me banging my head on the desk.  We are now in week 3 of the semester.  I received this last night.

Good evening, professor, I can't access the blackboard content for this class.

Well.  After not even logging on by the end of week 1, he received a message from me urging him to do so, with explicit instructions for logging into...ahem...Canvas and finding the course there.  Thus the head-banging.

I did expect some confusion during the first week, because our school is transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas this fall, with some instructors sticking with Blackboard just for this semester.  However, I told him exactly what to do to find the course, and still he cannot manage to do it.  And it is week 3!  How can he not have figured this out by now?  All the other students have managed to do so.

teach_write_research

Students attending remote online class meeting while working. Huh. interesting decision. That can't be good for learning. or for work!

Then again, I have to simultaneously teach and parent so maybe who am I to judge?

Aster

Somebody joined my remote class meeting today while *driving her car*.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onehappyunicorn

We have a faculty member who has joined the last two full-time faculty meetings while driving. I think our supervisor is not entirely impressed...

dismalist

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on September 10, 2020, 05:42:07 PM
We have a faculty member who has joined the last two full-time faculty meetings while driving. I think our supervisor is not entirely impressed...

Sober, or DUI?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

teach_write_research

Quote from: Aster on September 10, 2020, 03:02:11 PM
Somebody joined my remote class meeting today while *driving her car*.

I've got that one on my bingo board too. My reply when Dear Student said they were in the car and couldn't get to the breakout rooms was, Ok I just hope you aren't driving. Oh I am. Uh. *Be safe*

I suppose they could have the phone plugged in to the car system and using voice control.