Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: kiana on January 14, 2021, 08:27:22 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 13, 2021, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 13, 2021, 03:28:29 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 13, 2021, 07:25:45 AM
How can I get my students to read the damned directions?

Please please please PM me your solution when you find one! =p   Nothing I've tried works very well.

I'll let you know if I discover some kind of trick. I set up automated email to annoy the hell out of them until they take the quizzes. But, it they don't check their email, well, I'm not sure what to do.

Well did you TEXT them? /sarcasm
How about a short video on TikTok?  Checking email is so old school.

Caracal

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 13, 2021, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 13, 2021, 03:28:29 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 13, 2021, 07:25:45 AM
How can I get my students to read the damned directions?

Please please please PM me your solution when you find one! =p   Nothing I've tried works very well.

I'll let you know if I discover some kind of trick. I set up automated email to annoy the hell out of them until they take the quizzes. But, it they don't check their email, well, I'm not sure what to do.

Students who claim to not know what's due are usually engaged in self delusion, I think. They don't know things are due because they are checked out or overwhelmed. Its a symptom of larger problems.

mythbuster

The best luck I've had is making reading and following the directions worth points. For example students in My Intro Bio course get points for properly bubbling in their student ID on the exam scantron. I then make a big deal after the fact about the number of students who lost the totally free points! I report how many their were after each exam to the class. Not who they were, but just how many.

FishProf

Quote from: Caracal on January 14, 2021, 08:38:20 AM
Students who claim to not know what's due are usually engaged in self delusion, I think. They don't know things are due because they are checked out or overwhelmed. Its a symptom of larger problems.

Huge difference between didn't know and couldn't know.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: mythbuster on January 14, 2021, 08:38:44 AM
The best luck I've had is making reading and following the directions worth points. For example students in My Intro Bio course get points for properly bubbling in their student ID on the exam scantron. I then make a big deal after the fact about the number of students who lost the totally free points! I report how many their were after each exam to the class. Not who they were, but just how many.

Sounds like a good Jedi mind trick.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Biologist_

I need to start doing that when we are back in person giving print exams. It's a real pain when they bubble in the wrong ID number, especially when the wrong number happens to belong to another student in the class.

mamselle

Quote from: Biologist_ on January 15, 2021, 02:58:50 PM

I need to start doing that when we are back in person giving print exams. It's a real pain when they bubble in the wrong ID number, especially when the wrong number happens to belong to another student in the class.

Or...are they trying to take that person's exam for them...?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Chemystery

My college physics professor had a policy that if you forgot to bubble your ID, the only way you could get credit for the quiz was to come to his office and identify your quiz.  I forgot once.  His office, it turned out, was inside a secure building on campus.  If you walked in the front door, you were immediately greeted by a receptionist who asked your name and why you had entered the building.  The receptionist then verified that my professor was, indeed, in his office, gave me specific directions on how to get there, and watched me to make sure I did not go elsewhere. 

I left mildly curious about what was housed in the building besides my professor's office, but I did not forget my ID again.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Chemystery on January 15, 2021, 08:23:24 PM

My college physics professor had a policy that if you forgot to bubble your ID, the only way you could get credit for the quiz was to come to his office and identify your quiz.  I forgot once.  His office, it turned out, was inside a secure building on campus.  If you walked in the front door, you were immediately greeted by a receptionist who asked your name and why you had entered the building.  The receptionist then verified that my professor was, indeed, in his office, gave me specific directions on how to get there, and watched me to make sure I did not go elsewhere. 

I left mildly curious about what was housed in the building besides my professor's office, but I did not forget my ID again.
I had a colleague who would deduct points for incorrect or missing ID, only to have the same students miss points for it on every exam.

Biologist_

Quote from: mamselle on January 15, 2021, 04:05:41 PM
Quote from: Biologist_ on January 15, 2021, 02:58:50 PM

Or...are they trying to take that person's exam for them...?

M.

No. Just copying the wrong number from the list.

We have learned that we can't expect students to remember their 9-digit student IDs, so we provide a list of 3 digit exam IDs they can enter on their exams. In a large class, there are always a few students who enter the number incorrectly and there is usually at least one student who copies the wrong number from the list. The latter is worse because their score ends up counting for another student and then that student's exam doesn't get scored at all.

We also get a few on every exam who write the numbers in above the bubbles and then don't bubble them in. As much as I want to make each offending student come to my office and bubble in the number properly, that would be a hassle for me to schedule and it would delay the rest of my grading workflow so I just fill them in myself.

We do have assistance with grading in the large classes but some of these issues come to light after the handoff from the student assistant when I download the data.

If bubbling in the correct number counted for a couple of points, I wouldn't mind as much.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Biologist_ on January 19, 2021, 11:27:10 AM

We have learned that we can't expect students to remember their 9-digit student IDs, so we provide a list of 3 digit exam IDs they can enter on their exams.

Really? Here they're expected to include it on pretty much every assignment, paper, etc. in every course, so by a few weeks into 1st year it should be burned into their brains.
It takes so little to be above average.

Biologist_

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 19, 2021, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: Biologist_ on January 19, 2021, 11:27:10 AM

We have learned that we can't expect students to remember their 9-digit student IDs, so we provide a list of 3 digit exam IDs they can enter on their exams.

Really? Here they're expected to include it on pretty much every assignment, paper, etc. in every course, so by a few weeks into 1st year it should be burned into their brains.

Really. I used the 9-digit student IDs for a few years but I always had a printed list for students to check when they turned in their exams. Only a few of them actually knew their student ID's. My sample included freshmen through seniors.

Our campus runs a lot of small classes and lab sections and not very many large lectures. Perhaps that explains the difference in ID usage for exams and assignments?

Juvenal

I gave up the Student Number ID for exams--saved a couple of minutes of fumbling in bags and wallets.  Very little effort for me to pencil in 1, 2, 3, etc. And I put the same number on the Blue Books and exam, assembled the individual bundles, and ready to go.  You might say, "You are wasting your precious time," but it saves some time for the student and should a name get forgotten on Scantron or Blue Book--the duplication was a fail safe in one or two cases a semester.
Cranky septuagenarian

teach_write_research

Well I guess I will keep answering your questions even though my answers are pretty much, yes that is what the instructions say, you understand correctly. I get it, it's a pandemic, you are a first year college student, but maybe let's have more confidence in your basic sentence comprehension skills and consider some better coping strategies for your (apparent) anxiety...

Langue_doc

Students were required to upload a Word document for an assignment. Students were given a formatted Word template along with the directions for this assignment. The template was also included in this week's module.

Student A emailed a PDF attachment after the deadline complaining that Canvas wouldn't accept Stu's assignment. The directions are very clear about uploading a Word document and only a Word document. Course policy is very clear about submitting assignments (only on Canvas, in the assigned format, and by the deadline) and about emailed attachments (will not be opened or graded).

Email from Student B who failed to submit either of the two assignments for the week, which I will open/read only on Monday (I can guess the content as students who did not submit their assignments by Friday PM were given a score of zero with a comment that the assignment was not submitted.)

Students, you had all week to review the directions for the assignments and also complete them.

ETA: Subject line of Stu A's email: Submition

Head bang!

Very often though, students need only one warning/zero to understand the importance of reading directions and keeping track of deadlines. These are low-stakes assignments.